Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louise O Neill

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Zxclnic wrote: »
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zxclnic:
    Some posts on this thread are very hectoring indeed.
    Yep, that'll be hectoring alright.
    I'm not so sure you know what the word actually means. Or are you hoping for some sense of oppression, of victimhood? Right so.

But sorry I can't be the sword you want to fall on as disagreement is not hectoring. I know this can come as a shock if one is used to an echo chamber, but it isn't. No matter what echo chamber you inhabit. I've had this stuff from the PUA/Red pill yahoos, the "feminists" are no different.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Zxclnic

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'm not so sure you know what the word actually means. Or are you hoping for some sense of oppression, of victimhood? Right so.

But sorry I can't be the sword you want to fall on as disagreement is not hectoring. I know this can come as a shock if one is used to an echo chamber, but it isn't. No matter what echo chamber you inhabit. I've had this stuff from the PUA/Red pill yahoos, the "feminists" are no different.

hector
    ˈhɛktə/Submit
    verb
    gerund or present participle: hectoring
    talk to (someone) in a bullying way.
    "she doesn't hector us about giving up things"
    synonyms: bully, intimidate, browbeat, cow, badger, chivvy, harass, torment, plague;

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,578 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

So far I've heard dissent to modern third wave feminism described as "Gaslighting" and "Vitriolic abuse". Hectoring though. That's a new one on me.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

So far I've heard dissent to modern third wave feminism described as "Gaslighting" and "Vitriolic abuse". Hectoring though. That's a new one on me.

No, it's more the attitude and disrespect towards posters than posts, accusing them of inhabiting echo chambers and such like...
    Perhaps had I used the word 'bullying' you would have understood, but I thought 'hectoring' was a better choice of word..more nuanced.
    We live and learn.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Decent Skin

:pac: "mansplain". Fantastic.

What in the holy crap is "mansplain", and do actual people use it as a "word" ?

Edit: since the thread is about "equality", is there a "womansplain", or is that viewed as sexist ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ah right, now it's bullying. *trigger word*. Call HR! :eek: Oh and maybe "you would have understood" AC. Man, the argument goes against your creed and rather than debate, we as per usual go for the victimhood and hope to shut down any further "blasphemy" route. Nice one. And about as "nuanced" as a house brick through a window.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 Volatility Swap

No, it's more the attitude and disrespect towards posters than posts, accusing them of inhabiting echo chambers and such like...
    Perhaps had I used the word 'bullying' you would have understood, but I thought 'hectoring' was a better choice of word..more nuanced.

Disagreement and criticism does not equal bullying.

Edit: since the thread is about "equality", is there a "womansplain", or is that viewed as sexist ?

From wikipedia
    Mansplaining is a portmanteau of the words man and explaining, defined as "to explain something to someone, typically a man to woman, in a manner regarded as condescending or patronizing."[1][2] Lily Rothman of The Atlantic defines it as "explaining without regard to the fact that the explainee knows more than the explainer, often done by a man to a woman,"[3] and feminist author and essayist Rebecca Solnit ascribes the phenomenon to a combination of "overconfidence and cluelessness."[4]

• Advertisement

Ah right, now it's bullying. *trigger word*. Call HR! :eek: Oh and maybe "you would have understood" AC. Man, the argument goes against your creed and rather than debate, we as per usual go for the victimhood and hope to shut down any further "blasphemy" route. Nice one. And about as "nuanced" as a house brick through a window.

The word 'bullying' has certainly triggered a not so nuanced response from your goodself.

From wikipedia

I think I just puked.

Surely a more appropriate non-sexist language bastardisation would be "condescensplaining" ?

But given that that exists, there must surely be an equivalent "womansplaining" then, to describe how women explain "feminism" / "all men are potential rapists" to men, right ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

But given that that exists, there must surely be an equivalent "womansplaining" then, to describe how women explain "feminism" / "all men are potential rapists" to men, right ?

Femoting?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭LuckyRoche

Mansplaining. Hectoring. Privilege.

Am I on an Irish internet board or an American University Facebook page?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,578 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I work in a mainly female institution so I'd like to think I know something of what working women go through. I've been with my current employer for about 2 and a half years now and I have never once heard any single woman at work use such childish nonsense words as "Patriarchy" or "Mansplaining". I have no problem whatsoever acknowledging that women in the west have to put up with sh*t because of their gender and it stinks. This is the 21st century and we really should have thrown this sort of nonsense out with the voodoo, quack medicine and other cultural garbage. I hear about comments they have to deal with on their appearance, the way the senior management treat them, difficulties encountered coming back from maternity leave and so on... They don't blame me for this. They don't use dopey, stupid-assed, made up, completely pointless buzzwords either. Why? Because they're intelligent adults who can have a conversation about such things without feeling the need to squak hoping that some fools on Twatter or Farcebook notice them.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

LuckyRoche wrote: »
    Mansplaining. Hectoring. Privilege.

Am I on an Irish internet board or an American University Facebook page?

Well....you're not in a Safe Space anymore, kid.

:pac::pac::pac:
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Her book "Asking For It" was pretty good, however I find majority of her articles that I've read to be pretty rubbish
    That said, fact there is nearly 400 posts in this thread which is essentially a circlejerk about criticising an author seems a tad bizarre to me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

From wikipedia
    I think I just puked.

These buzzwords are ivory tower navel-gazing at its finest. This is what happens when one believes their own BS and hitches their entire identity and lifework on ideology and badly thought out theory. I am not shocked it has caught on (in some circles) and I blame the Internet for that. What is refreshing however, and Ancapailldorcha referred to it above, is that I don't know one person who would use these words in an everyday conversation at anytime. It just seems to be used primarily on the Internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Hotei

mzungu wrote: »
    These buzzwords are ivory tower navel-gazing at its finest. This is what happens when one believes their own BS and hitches their entire identity and lifework on ideology and badly thought out theory. I am not shocked it has caught on (in some circles) and I blame the Internet for that. What is refreshing however, and Ancapailldorcha referred to it above, is that I don't know one person who would use these words in an everyday conversation at anytime. It just seems to be used primarily on the Internet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOXh5repOWI

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Ahem,seems some do.

https://twitter.com/lemterby/status/760485407544991744

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Hotei wrote: »

...and that kids, is what happens when you try insert made up words into an adult conversation! :D

darkdubh wrote: »

I think David's description sums that up - parody instead of real person

mzungu wrote: »
    ...and that kids, is what happens when you try insert made up words into an adult conversation! :D

I think she just got manspowned!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭tritium

Oh, when you say hectoeing you mean posters and pundits who use terms like misogyny/ mansplaining/ patriarchy to shout down debate right?

And gob****es like O'Neill who like to bully groups on the basis of rumours and then refuse to apologise when they're shown to be unsubstantiated. Or shame their ex boyfriends in public media?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭tritium

I think I just puked.

Surely a more appropriate non-sexist language bastardisation would be "condescensplaining" ?

I believe the word is femsplaining :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,745 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

No shortage of passive aggression though, that's for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

I work in a mainly female institution so I'd like to think I know something of what working women go through. I've been with my current employer for about 2 and a half years now and I have never once heard any single woman at work use such childish nonsense words as "Patriarchy" or "Mansplaining". I have no problem whatsoever acknowledging that women in the west have to put up with sh*t because of their gender and it stinks. This is the 21st century and we really should have thrown this sort of nonsense out with the voodoo, quack medicine and other cultural garbage. I hear about comments they have to deal with on their appearance, the way the senior management treat them, difficulties encountered coming back from maternity leave and so on... They don't blame me for this. They don't use dopey, stupid-assed, made up, completely pointless buzzwords either. Why? Because they're intelligent adults who can have a conversation about such things without feeling the need to squak hoping that some fools on Twatter or Farcebook notice them.

Honest to God, the first time I ever heard the term 'mansplaining' I assumed it referred to that particular tone of voice women take when a an oblivious bloke cocks up big time and his missus has to explain to him exactly what he's done wrong in that tone that is all at once condescending, disappointed and exasperated. In that context I’ve been manspained to a lot. You know it’s coming because it usually begins with an eye roll and the sentence ‘You know what dear?....

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

darkdubh wrote: »

Had a read of that persons tweets on the link.Her (think its a she) arrogance is breathtaking.

Funny, I've never used the words 'Patriachy' or 'Mansplaining' either, please point to where I have if you disagree. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

All I can say is I can't wait for Louise O'Neills next article if she does a piece on this thread, the hyperbole will be interesting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement