Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sick pigeon, need pigeon expert, Dublin city asap

• 30-07-2016 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭

adult female has got very weak over the past 7 days, cant fly now. she has no damage to her wings, or any obvious injuries tho was walking with a wobble a few days ago, could fly up to a window to her partner and sit up there but never ventured away from the house in the past few days.

her appetite has gone but she will eat a little, just stays on the ground in the yard looking miserable, she cant even make it to the wall and is very easy to catch, before she could never be caught tho would eat from my hands. has lost weight too, always looked healthy before

I dont think shes old, Im no expert but probably 2-3 years. Im thinking she needs antibiotics, Im supposed to be leaving Dublin tonight, DSPCA is open at 12 tomorrow but have to be in Kildare for dogsitting tonight/tomorrow morning!

I could take her with me on the train but she needs medicine asap

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Are we talking about a wild pigeon or a domestic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

wild. its in Terenure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

When Birds start to look sick then it usually means they are in a very bad way as they hide it for as long as possible.

If she can't make it off the ground she will be likely end up being killed by a cat etc. Could you put her into a safe place such as a darkened cardboard box or similar till she can be seen by a vet & probably put out of her misery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

Agee with the above, once wild birds can be approached and picked up they are usually at the end. It could be a very old pigeon, there is no way of telling how old a bird is, just be careful as they can carry diseases transmitable to humans like psittacosis so always wash your hands after handling them. The bird could be suffering from any number of issues only a vet would be able to help or at least put the bird down, so I'd drop the bird off at your nearest vets.
    I've had loads of wild birds given to me or I've found over the years from corvids, seabirds and birds of prey down to fledglings and if they're going to get better it's within the first day or two with hydration and antibiotics etc, if there are no obvious injuries then the prognosis is usually poor, sick wild birds are just too far gone and hard to diagnose sadly, well done for helping the bird though!:)

Advertisement