Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job application asking for LC results (from 23 years ago)

Options
  • 30-07-2016 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

I'm in my early 40s and did Leaving Cert in 1992.

Since then I have completed a diploma, degree and masters degree.

I have been employed by the same company for more than 15 years - in various positions as I climbed the career ladder.

Now I am applying for an outside position and the job specifies that you have to fill in an application form rather than sending a CV.

On the form it specifies that you have to fill in your educational achievements onwards from age 14 including subject and grade.

I do not have my Leaving Cert results slip any more and while I can remember my subjects I do not remember the grades in several of them. Well, I can remember if it was an A, B or C for some but not the A1 or C3 etc.

Do I have to go to the trouble of asking and paying the Department of Education for my results or would you take the chance of just writing the subjects and leaving the grade blank - as I have clearly done sufficiently in that exam of 24 years ago to have gone to college etc.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

i had to do the same a couple of weeks ago and just guessed. I put down the points, and made sure my guesses added up to be right amount and were roughly accurate. I'm sure they are more interested in the fifteen years work experience since my leaving cert. At least I hope they are :)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭worker bee

Thanks, I would be very surprised if they actually spent any time reading them but if they do then I'm afraid I'll look daft.

I hope we're not going for the same job!

Did you get yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Interview at the end of the month, so ask me then!
    It's not the same job, the one I'm going for closed two or three weeks ago.

Well, good luck!

I am actually giddy with excitement already and I haven't even completed the form not to mind getting called for an interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

Makeup something. Who is going to check?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

OP dont leave the grades blank, it will look as if you want to hide something about the results, even though from your perspective, they have been overtaken by other qualifications. Put in the grades you remember and whether they were higher or ordinary level. Is it true you have to pay a fee to Dept of Ed for a copy of LC results? You would probably not get it in time anyway for your application form deadline but at interview you could say if asked, that you will verify results with DES if they deem it necessary. if you really want the job its best not to display the attitude that you consider their form to be stupid or irrelevant. It's a nuisance but not at all uncommon and after all the form is also designed for people younger than you for whom LC results may be more relevant. Prob easier for today's students as presumably they can store results in the cloud for later retrieval! Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

tina1040 wrote: »
    Makeup something. Who is going to check?

An employer who is detail-oriented enough to ask for them in the first place, that's who.

Give as good an approximation as you can - but don't leave it blank, and don't lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

worker bee wrote: »
    I'm in my early 40s and did Leaving Cert in 1992.

Since then I have completed a diploma, degree and masters degree.

I have been employed by the same company for more than 15 years - in various positions as I climbed the career ladder.

Now I am applying for an outside position and the job specifies that you have to fill in an application form rather than sending a CV.

On the form it specifies that you have to fill in your educational achievements onwards from age 14 including subject and grade.

I do not have my Leaving Cert results slip any more and while I can remember my subjects I do not remember the grades in several of them. Well, I can remember if it was an A, B or C for some but not the A1 or C3 etc.

Do I have to go to the trouble of asking and paying the Department of Education for my results or would you take the chance of just writing the subjects and leaving the grade blank - as I have clearly done sufficiently in that exam of 24 years ago to have gone to college etc.

Thanks.
    Not sure when the a1 b3 etc came in. But in 1991 it was just a/b/c.

So if you can't remember exact a1's you prob didn't do them

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

micks wrote: »
    Not sure when the a1 b3 etc came in. But in 1991 it was just a/b/c.

So if you can't remember exact a1's you prob didn't do them

A1s etc were in in 1992

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Whatever you do, don't lie. I was asked for results from 1996 a couple of years ago and the company double checked them.

• Advertisement

Hi Micks,

I did the LC in 1992 and there were definitely sub-grades.

I can remember the A actually but genuinely can't remember the sub-division of my Bs and Cs. They are subjects I didn't use or need in college or since so it's not like I'm hiding them here.

Thanks, all - I think I'll put down the grades I can remember and offer to get the full details if they ask. I worried that putting down the good grades (which I can remember) and not putting down the average/poor ones (which I can't recall) looks like I'm covering up.

Hopefully, they will skim over that when they see other, more relevant qualifications.

I guess I'm overthinking this due to nerves at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Hi Micks,

I did the LC in 1992 and there were definitely sub-grades.

I can remember the A actually but genuinely can't remember the sub-division of my Bs and Cs. They are subjects I didn't use or need in college or since so it's not like I'm hiding them here.

Thanks, all - I think I'll put down the grades I can remember and offer to get the full details if they ask. I worried that putting down the good grades (which I can remember) and not putting down the average/poor ones (which I can't recall) looks like I'm covering up.

Hopefully, they will skim over that when they see other, more relevant qualifications.

I guess I'm overthinking this due to nerves at this stage.

Really is crazy asking for leaving cert results when you have higher qualifications . HR have to much time on their hands .

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Really is crazy asking for leaving cert results when you have higher qualifications . HR have to much time on their hands .

Musicman you're setting the cat among the pigeons again! HR have designed a generic form and don't know re OP's higher qualifications! OP obviously shared your views but has come around to the idea of playing by the rules of the folk who have the granting of the job in their power. He has thanked posters for their advice and said he is taking it on board and will put down the results he can remember and offer to get the remainder if necessary. Maybe other Boardsies who might face the same dilemma some day should ask their Mammies now to have a hunt around the attic for long-forgotten exam results just in case!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

if you passed write pass

if you got an hourour leaving cert write that..

the applicaiton form for my company has that on it too (id be in stitches if you were sitting in from of me next thursday) lolz

anyone who hasnt just completed their exams we just look at the most recent results, in general you can trust the person reading the application to assume you are a grown up if you have a masters etc completed :-)

livedadream,

It would be hilarious if you were interviewing me alright - but I'm only at application form stage so I haven't been called for interview yet/at all.

Thanks to all this talk I had my first leaving cert panic dream in years - so maybe the results will come to me in the next one.

The way the form is laid out it starts with oldest education first rather than most recent so I guess I didn't like the way the first page has 'gaps' and not impressive results and you have to go to the next page to see my real qualifications.
    Ah well, hopefully they will turn the page and I'll at least get called for interview.

Thanks

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,237 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

livedadream,

It would be hilarious if you were interviewing me alright - but I'm only at application form stage so I haven't been called for interview yet/at all.

Thanks to all this talk I had my first leaving cert panic dream in years - so maybe the results will come to me in the next one.

The way the form is laid out it starts with oldest education first rather than most recent so I guess I didn't like the way the first page has 'gaps' and not impressive results and you have to go to the next page to see my real qualifications.
    Ah well, hopefully they will turn the page and I'll at least get called for interview.

Thanks

I'm guessing it's in the public sector? Haven't come across anyone outside of the public sector looking for LC results while I was on the the hunt for a job. One place even wanted photo copies of the results slip...:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

pauliebdub wrote: »
    Whatever you do, don't lie. I was asked for results from 1996 a couple of years ago and the company double checked them.
    How can they double-check?

Surely exam results aren't publicly available?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

cdeb wrote: »

I got a job ten years ago where I'd done three interviews before being offered the job, start date agreed, but they wouldn't actually let me start until I provided them with a certified copy of both my degree and my leaving cert results.
    Had to phone the DOE who told me I had to get them through my secondary school, who thought I was insane looking for leaving cert results from ten years earlier, especially given it was June and they were in the middle of trying to run the current one.
    (A while after I started I heard the company had been caught badly by someone who'd just lied through their teeth about their qualifications and managed to waste a fair bit of everyone's time)

@OP: If you really need them you might be able to get them through the department of education, or else try your secondary school

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I did my Leaving in 1980 and went for a job in 2009 who wanted a certified copy of my Leaving Results - 29 years later.

Funnily enough they didn't ask for details of my degree .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'm guessing it's in the public sector? Haven't come across anyone outside of the public sector looking for LC results while I was on the the hunt for a job. One place even wanted photo copies of the results slip...:rolleyes:

im not public sector.

but the application for the org i work for does have it, alot of people ignore it or just write, the year and then pass or honours, some people write the subjects.

to be fair if you have a degree im not interested what results you got as a 17 year old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I did my Leaving in 1980 and went for a job in 2009 who wanted a certified copy of my Leaving Results - 29 years later.

Funnily enough they didn't ask for details of my degree .

Doesn't always apply, but one reason is give a handy way of screening out the pesky people who were educated overseas and so don't have a leaving cert in the same way that locals do. No one will ever admit to this, of course, but I'm sure it happens in some small businesses.

cdeb wrote: »

No, they can't. But if you provide a certificated copy of the results which seems false, then it's more clear-cut to get rid of you.

Advertisement