Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Very high oil consumption in a Yaris

• 30-07-2016 8:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭

I have a 06 Yaris with 212000kms. For the last year there is very high oil consumption. I have taken it to a garage they examined it fully and could not find a cause. There are no drops of oil on the pavement after I drive away and no trace of oil on the engine. I am putting in 1 to 2 litres a month. I keep an eye on it and top it up regularly. Now I told by another garage that there is damage to the engine due to chronic low oil levels.

Has anyone had this problem before and what is the cause of it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is there any blueish smoke coming from the exhaust? What spec oil was used when it was last serviced and how long ago was that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

No blue smoke.

Last service was 5 days ago. 5 30 put in.

Serviced every 6 months. 5. 30 always put in.

Every service I say..... Very high oil consumption... They just shrug their shoulders...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Up to 1l every 1000 miles is generally considered "normal" by most manufacturers. Would yours be burning more than this?

What year is it and did it struggle to pass the emissions test in the NCT last time?

1 litre for every 1600 km approx???
    Ok I will look into this.

Passed NCT I didnt check if it was borderline or not just went off with my cert.

It's an 06

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭amdaley28

On a car with 212000kms on the clock I would expect some oil usage.
    1 lt per 1600kms isn't a problem.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Wesser wrote: »
    1 litre for every 1600 km approx???
    Ok I will look into this.

Passed NCT I didnt check if it was borderline or not just went off with my cert.

It's an 06

Only saw a green Yaris on the road a few days ago with a little blue trail behind it :D

It does indeed sound like a lot - compounded by the fact that many newer engines these days hardly use a litre of oil ever 16,000 km.
    But with 10 years and over 200,000km under it's belt, it's only on the higher end of average. More than likely valve stem seals letting oil into the combustion chamber. You can pick up a set for less than 20 quid, but you've got to dismantle the top half of the engine to do them, so most just leave well enough alone unless they burn enough oil to fail emissions :o

The way to look at it is this: A litre of oil per 1600 km vs 90 - 100 litres of fuel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Using a heavier oil will reduce consumption. Try 10w40 next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Using a heavier oil will reduce consumption. Try 10w40 next time.

This is often not recommended because the tolerance in the bearings are designed around the 5w-30 oil. Best thing for the engines health is to keep using the correct oil and keep topping it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

More than likely valve stem seals letting oil into the combustion chamber. You can pick up a set for less than 20 quid, but you've got to dismantle the top half of the engine to do them, so most just leave well enough alone unless they burn enough oil to fail emissions :o

it it a job your average mechanically minded joe could do?

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    it it a job your average mechanically minded joe could do?

At a push. But you'd want to be fairly familiar with timing chains, head gasket procedures and valve seating. After that you'd need the tools for the job - torque/angle wrenches, paste, valve spring compressors and those suction cup thingys ( :o ) for grabbing and spinning them. Somewhere to machine the head itself too.

"head sets" are the best part's to get, because they usually contain the main head gasket, bolts, whatever camshaft seals, inlet manifold seals, exhaust gaskets, valve cover seal, sometimes a tube of sealant, thermostat gasket if applicable (worth spending the tenner on a thermostat too) and of course, the valve stem oil seals. Get a service kit too and coolant. And a water pump, actually because they're well known for failing on them, believe it or not. They're externally driven by the fan belt and easily changed.

It's also worth taking three days out to do it, if working alone at home without the familiarity of training. One for taking your time dismantling, one for the machine shop booking and one for taking your time putting it back together.

^^^^^^^^^

thats a no then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    This is often not recommended because the tolerance in the bearings are designed around the 5w-30 oil. Best thing for the engines health is to keep using the correct oil and keep topping it up.

Of course it's always good practice to use the correct oil but these engines will run fine on 10w40 and in all probability it's 10w40 that the main dealers are using and reccomending too( I know they have been on other vvti engines)

These 3 cylinder units are well known to burn oil and in many cases will go through 5w30 very quickly.

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^

thats a no then

Well it is with that attitude!

^^^^^^^^^

the right attitude, me thinks.......leave it to the pro's, it will only end in tears otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

As said and feom what i've seen, that 3 cyl engine is very soft and plenty of them are fond of a drop of oil.

If it passed the NCT emissions test on it's first attempt i'd keep topping up with the correct spec and not meet the problem half way.

Advertisement