Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering Moving to Bray

Options
  • 30-07-2016 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello all! I am in need of some help/advise/information. I am a recent college graduate and I really want to move to Ireland in the next couple of years once I save up enough money and such. I currently live in the United States and I would be moving there alone. I am looking at jobs that would be in Dublin but looking for living in Bray. I've been doing as much research as I possibly can but I want to know from people who have lived there/moved there/currently reside there. I am looking for information about the cost of living, safety (since I am a female looking to move there by myself), and just the overall environment of Ireland and Bray in general. Any advise anyone has. Thank you so much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Have you been here before?

I really think you should come check for yourself rather than ask strangers on the internet that will most likely give conflicting reports.

It's a big decision to emigrate and I would never do it without checking it out.

As for safety, what sort of concerns do you have that you think would be in Ireland but not in the USA?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tkdstar13

I have been to Ireland, but not Bray specifically. And when I was there it was as a tourist so it wasn't really a chance to "live" there as if I were studying abroad or something. And I wanted just to get an overall opinion, it's fine if it's mixed opinions. And as for safety, as I mentioned I'd be moving on my own, so for example would it be safe for me to go to the store or something by myself in the evening or if I wanted to go out or something. I was just wondering about the overall safety of me going places by myself I guess. I know it's a vague question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

tkdstar13 wrote: »
    I have been to Ireland, but not Bray specifically. And when I was there it was as a tourist so it wasn't really a chance to "live" there as if I were studying abroad or something. And I wanted just to get an overall opinion, it's fine if it's mixed opinions. And as for safety, as I mentioned I'd be moving on my own, so for example would it be safe for me to go to the store or something by myself in the evening or if I wanted to go out or something. I was just wondering about the overall safety of me going places by myself I guess. I know it's a vague question.

As with most normal places as long as you have some common sense you'll be fine.

Any reason in particular you decided upon Bray ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tkdstar13

Good/comforting to know! And yes, all of the potential jobs that I would apply for in the future are all in Dublin. After researching cost of living within Dublin, I thought that it would be a little bit more reasonable for me to live outside of the main city. After looking at different cities (websites, pictures, etc...) I thought Bray would be a good place because it is a little less expensive than living in the main part of Dublin, the commute would be pretty close and it looks beautiful. I also had multiple friends go to Bray whilst studying abroad and they had nothing but great things to say about that specific region (as well as Ireland in general).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

If you want less expensive than living in Dublin but with all of the creature comforts I'd suggest looking at Limerick. City living but at half the price as Dublin. It's very much a city on the up, lots of job announcements and the whole of the west coast on your doorstep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

tkdstar13 wrote: »
    Good/comforting to know! And yes, all of the potential jobs that I would apply for in the future are all in Dublin. After researching cost of living within Dublin, I thought that it would be a little bit more reasonable for me to live outside of the main city. After looking at different cities (websites, pictures, etc...) I thought Bray would be a good place because it is a little less expensive than living in the main part of Dublin, the commute would be pretty close and it looks beautiful. I also had multiple friends go to Bray whilst studying abroad and they had nothing but great things to say about that specific region (as well as Ireland in general).

Well research is good. you have plenty of time to do more while you save. Hope you have a great time. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Bray is generally safe enough.

It is a bit expensive to live in.

If you like somewhere thats urban but also close to mountains sea and countryside its perfect.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Its not really urban in the US sense though, its one small little main street with very little shopping or amenities, you have to admit there is very little to do here outside of the 8 or 9 weeks of nice weather we get in a year, its better than most places but I would seriously urge you to come check things out for a week first, you can see everything Bray has to offer in a weekend, its a good place to live if your job is here but I think you'd have better options relocating to another US state if you want a bit of an adventure or a career change and save Ireland for a holiday.

Thargor wrote: »
    Its not really urban in the US sense though, its one small little main street with very little shopping or amenities, you have to admit there is very little to do here outside of the 8 or 9 weeks of nice weather we get in a year, its better than most places but I would seriously urge you to come check things out for a week first, you can see everything Bray has to offer in a weekend, its a good place to live if your job is here but I think you'd have better options relocating to another US state if you want a bit of an adventure or a career change and save Ireland for a holiday.

Strange post, so Bray has poor shopping so that means the OP should ignore the rest of Ireland.

For Shopping Dundrum and Carrickmines are short drives away.
    I didn't realise that shopping is the measurement of a good town and social scene.
    Ignore the thriving restaurants, pubs, Dart line with easy access to city for work and other great spots for leisure.
    Greystones Cliff Walk, Bray Head, Sugarloaf Mountains.
    Wicklow Mountains on your doorstep, which is on of Ireland's most beautiful national parks.
    Access to work in Dublin which I am sure the OP would find very different to another US state due to the different culture and work ethic here as well as the social scene.

Really was no need to put the country down like that in my opinion.

That would definitely be an adventure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Lots of sports/cultural clubs in Bray... singing, writing, acting, arts groups... all very vibrant

Lots of places to wine and dine....

Compare it to Dublin city centre and yes, there is a lot less to do.

Compare it with any suburb in Dublin of a similar size or country town, and there's plenty more to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

murpho999 wrote: »
    Strange post, so Bray has poor shopping so that means the OP should ignore the rest of Ireland.

For Shopping Dundrum and Carrickmines are short drives away.
    I didn't realise that shopping is the measurement of a good town and social scene.
    What an absolutely bizarre leap to take from my post... :confused:

What an absolutely bizarre leap to take from my post... :confused:

Really, you mention shopping as the main activity in post. So what else am I to take from it?

Anyhow, totally disagree with everything that you said above. Shocking advice and impression to give to the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭syndrome777

thinking of buying/moving to Bray as well. Just a quick question...is there a particularly bad part of Bray that one should avoid?

<Mod edit: Lets change this to recommending parts of Bray rather than having a train wreck. Thank you. >

Advertisement