Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plastic bag Levy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Tipperary Fairy

Slideways wrote: »
    I wish they would bring it in here in Australia.

Its a bloody fantastic idea and if people are too stupid or lazy to bring their own bags to the shop then the government deserves every cent of the levy they take.

Yeah it's crazy that they're still given out so freely here. But I think it's all from recycled plastic at least. Australia is much bigger generally on recycling than Ireland though.

I'm wondering when people are really going to start taking this kind of **** seriously. The world is way over populated, and we're ruining it. Leo's speech there recently sums it up nicely.

Anyone ever hear of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,206 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Paper or plastic?

Rhetorical question - plastic is just too dangerous! :eek: :)

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,467 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Speedwell wrote: »
    You've never bought milk with a loose cap or that was banged around in the car, great; I hope you are that fortunate in other areas of your life.

I don't know about you, but I'm discussing it with a view to alternatives to disposable shopping bags; the ones I use are plain solid colors, washable, compactly foldable, last for years, and are at least comparable in price to what they're charging now for plastic shopping bags plastered with shop advertising that never last me more than a handful of uses before they develop holes and tears from the corners of things, and can't be washed.

No, it has genuinely never happened to me. Ever. Also I always pack bag with milk upright and bottom of the bag so that could be a factor.

Also we. Have shop branded bags in car from Lidl, Superquinn(shows they're old) and Tesco and they all last perfectly fine.

Foldable crates are another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Patww79 wrote: »

Oh, moneybags!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

My issues on reusing the plastic bag is hygiene. whereas before if you were given a plastic bag and you spilt milk in it or anything like that , you chucked it away, you didnt reuse it again. but on the other hand they are so bad for the environment and dangerous to animals so something had to be done.

:confused:

If I spill milk or anything else in the bag I simply throw it away and buy a new bag. Why would I reuse it?

Total non-issue imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,206 ✭✭✭✭Esel

EmptyTree wrote: »

If I spill milk or anything else in the bag I simply throw it away and buy a new bag. Why would I reuse it?

Total non-issue imo.
    Because 22c !

Not your ornery onager

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The UK are not giving out about it OP.
    It is only English peeps.
    Wales introduced a 5p levy in 2011, NornIron in 2013, Scotland in 2014, England in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Esel wrote: »
    Because 22c !

:eek:

Well this is an outrage!! I mean I am outraged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭klose

Every big brand retailer in my town only has those 70c thicker plastic bags aswell as the bag for life ones these days instead of the 22c ones. Used to work in a supervalu and was checking invoices one day and saw there was a 70% margin on those 70c bags so easy to see why shops are just going with those now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

klose wrote: »
    Every big brand retailer in my town only has those 70c thicker plastic bags aswell as the bag for life ones these days instead of the 22c ones. Used to work in a supervalu and was checking invoices one day and saw there was a 70% margin on those 70c bags so easy to see why shops are just going with those now.

And there is no levy when they cost that much

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

EmptyTree wrote: »

Total non-issue imo.

other people dont though "I paid 22c for this bag, im buggered if Im gonna throw it in the bin!" .... - I suppose they might wash it out if they have time, or just use it again with bits of spilt liquid and some leaves of cabbage at bottom of the bag .

it almost feels like we evolve as a modern race with disposable bags which we threw away when they tore or got grubby or grimy .. to using filthy grimy bags over and over again until they give out finally and come to the end of their life, - I have even see people 'patch' up their carrier bags with Gaffa tape for gods sake to get that 'extra little bit of life' out of them

snubbleste wrote: »
    The UK are not giving out about it OP.
    It is only English peeps.
    Wales introduced a 5p levy in 2011, NornIron in 2013, Scotland in 2014, England in 2015.

thanks, geography never my strongest subject in school :)

plastic bags are what they are at the end of the day... Plastic! - still take over 100 years or whatever it is to disintegrate (thats even if they do) . So surprised they are not just biodegradable like you know when you have those outer wrappers on the toilet blocks and it dissolves when its been in water for a while... mind you I suppose then people bring their shopping out in rain and bag would start degrading then so thats no good either.

In US a lot of shops give really strong large brown paper bags with all your groceries (I predict for free?)

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭pillphil

Judging by the people in this thread, it is. :P

its a strange thing - i bet a psychiatrist could explain it, but 22c is not a lot of money but its still begrudgable having to buy one .... but when you have gone out and forgot your bag and after buying all them items out of the shop and giving them your hard earned cash and choosing to shop with them to keep them in business they still would rather to see you balance everything rather than say "have you got a bag no?.. here have one of these for free"

I like the pound shops (as I still call them) because most of the time if you buy a few items off them they give you free paper bags and on a couple of occasions have given me a large black dustbin bag if I have bought quite a few bits off them

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭pillphil

its a strange thing - i bet a psychiatrist could explain it, but 22c is not a lot of money but its still begrudgable having to buy one .... but when you have gone out and forgot your bag and after buying all them items out of the shop and giving them your hard earned cash and choosing to shop with them to keep them in business they still would rather to see you balance everything rather than say "have you got a bag no?.. here have one of these for free"

I like the pound shops (as I still call them) because most of the time if you buy a few items off them they give you free paper bags and on a couple of occasions have given me a large black dustbin bag if I have bought quite a few bits off them

It would completely defeat the purpose of the tax at that point, though. No-one would bring bags in if they started giving them out for free if you didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,757 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I always have a few bags in the boot of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I use the same bags until they tear or the handles break and then get another few, it's no big deal throwing a few bags in the car when going to do the weekly shop.

Was watching Sky News and you'd swear the world was ending with the amount of whinging that was going on, one moany minnie was giving out that she had to even pay for the plastic bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭Archeron

In US a lot of shops give really strong large brown paper bags with all your groceries (I predict for free?)

The problem with those is that when you get home, there will be a French stick and a green bushy thing (possibly brocolli) poking out the top, even if you didn't buy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

At least most other litter has weight (cans, plastic bottles, cigarette boxes would make up most throwaway litter) which keeps it at ground level, not wrapped around thorns.

The branded plastic bags used to be given away with just about any purchase, then get gusted into all the ditches, hedges, gardens. Having fewer of those bags makes the streets and roadside look far tidier.

I haven't encountered the need to wash and clothesline dry a plastic bag due to their rarity though.

I'll join the OP protesting those leak-prone plastic milk bottles. Return the things to the shop, otherwise the manufacturers will progress to making them worse. And demand a clean new plastic bag for the one spoiled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

It has been a great success in general. Can remember that they used to be hanging out if trees and hedges and made the place resemble a post apocalyptic land. 22c is still probably too cheap. Next in the firing line should be take away containers. Long overdue a ban or extortionate tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

The UK (well a lot of people) still giving out about paying 5p (6c) per plastic bag - why did we have to start of with a 15c and now why are we up to 22c per bag - have we got the pricing right or is it too cheap or too dear?

has the levy been a success on the whole?

My issues on reusing the plastic bag is hygiene. whereas before if you were given a plastic bag and you spilt milk in it or anything like that , you chucked it away, you didnt reuse it again. but on the other hand they are so bad for the environment and dangerous to animals so something had to be done.

I'm sure the government doesn't give a fiddler's **** about animals playing with bags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

What are we meant to eat takeaway food out of then? I have to stop for my lunch every day and spuds, meat, and gravy would make an awful mess in a brown bag.

I am thinking more along the lines of McDonald's wrappers and containers. I am sure if they were banned they could come up with some solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

It'It's probably not expensive enough . Put your reusable bagssomewhere you can't fail to see them when you leave the house . If worried about hygiene , put them into the washing machine . I forgot many times but you get used to bringing them .You save money in the long run .

whats it in one of those white polystyrene dishes is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,475 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I've no problem paying for shopping bags. Prior to the charge the country side and towns used be littered with shopping bags because people had no value for them. I find you rarely see a bag blowing around the place or caught in a tree now.
    I don't know anybody who really buys the 22cent bags because very body knows these a weak and useless and aren't reusable. The only people I see buying them are those who rarely go shipping and haven't a clue and when the shop runs out of reusable bags.
    I know our shopping bags rarely smell and when they do we generally throw them out. As you we'd do with other items that smell and can't be washed/cleaned easily.
    Of course there's people who go around with smell bags because their tight but these people are like this in all aspects of they life.
    Most supermarkets (especially Lidl and Aldi) generally have boxes lying around that you can pick up for your shopping of you don't want to buy a bag!

Advertisement