Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plastic bag Levy

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Just buy the roll of killean bags, 99 cent. Same size as a 22c bag, stronger and not giving shops free advertising

Has anyone ever brought a "bag for life" back to the store to get it replaced for free when it breaks?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Just buy the roll of killean bags, 99 cent. Same size as a 22c bag, stronger and not giving shops free advertising

its like reading those tips in womins own that .... - good idea/tip though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Has anyone ever brought a "bag for life" back to the store to get it replaced for free when it breaks?

I tried a few years ago and was told they are no longer called bags for life, and they don't do that anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Has anyone ever had one break on them?
    I'd say they're durable enough as they are kind of woven plastic. The cottony ones have broken before, at the handles.

• Advertisement

i dont reckon that will even work over here in Ireland - you will most probably get that look from the till person, the same look you get when they think you have 5 heads and just landed from planet Zog....

apparently I thing it could be ASDA in UK if your bag for life is broke they will change change it - over here I think the terminology is "re-usable bag" - nice touch , means that the shop isnt obliged to replace it.

anyway feck it the cheeky buggers, advertising having their shop names splashed all over the bags and charge you 80c for the privilege, the feckers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

anyway feck it the cheeky buggers, advertising having their shop names splashed all over the bags and charge you 80c for the privilege, the feckers

Yeah but if they were free it'd be like the old plastic bags all over again. People would just say ''ah shur I can get more at the till''. More of them would have to be manufactured then as well.

Has anyone ever had one break on them?
    I'd say they're durable enough as they are kind of woven plastic. The cottony ones have broken before, at the handles.

I have had the plastic "bag for lifes" break at the handles before...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

i dont reckon that will even work over here in Ireland - you will most probably get that look from the till person, the same look you get when they think you have 5 heads and just landed from planet Zog....

apparently I thing it could be ASDA in UK if your bag for life is broke they will change change it - over here I think the terminology is "re-usable bag" - nice touch , means that the shop isnt obliged to replace it.

The one I took back was actually in the UK.

muddypaws wrote: »
    I tried a few years ago and was told they are no longer called bags for life, and they don't do that anymore.

someone found out they were loosing revenue by doing it i bet :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Slideways

Jesus. Get over FFS.

Its a brilliant idea. Just organise yourself and its not a drama. As for worrying about the germs, nearly everything barring fruit and veggies comes pre-packed and those that don't you can use the free bags right?

I'm forever telling shop keepers here i do not need a bag and carry the few bits and pieces I have or bring my re-usable bags with me.

No more than the taxes on cigarettes, if you are silly enough to smoke or neglect to bring a bag with you, IMO, you deserve all the taxation you can get.

I hate advertising on my reusable bags. 70% of my bags are from Superquinn who I used to do my shopping with, so I generally use those ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

I think Andy has been awakened from cryogenic sleep recently.

Sorry to drag up old thread - Tesco in UK are doing away with thin plastic bags and will require people to buy a 'bag for life' priced at 10pence ... (that would equal 11cents or thereabouts)

Tesco in Ireland sell 'Bag for life' starting at 70cents - without wishing to sound like a whinging barsteward , why? - why do we have to pay more. Who sets the price? Tesco Ireland or the Irish government? and who (if there is some kind of fiddle going on) is lining their pockets over this?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ibstar

buried wrote: »
    'Plastic bag levy' my arse. Are international companies and corporations paying 'plastic bag levies' for all the products the make that are wrapped up in plastic? Are they F**k

part 24 in company registration form:
    "24. If the business will supply plastic bags to the customer insert S in the box *"

no idea why and how this works if your business does use plastic bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Equium

Sorry to drag up old thread - Tesco in UK are doing away with thin plastic bags and will require people to buy a 'bag for life' priced at 10pence ... (that would equal 11cents or thereabouts)

Tesco in Ireland sell 'Bag for life' starting at 70cents - without wishing to sound like a whinging barsteward , why? - why do we have to pay more. Who sets the price? Tesco Ireland or the Irish government? and who (if there is some kind of fiddle going on) is lining their pockets over this?

Tesco, and their counterparts, are lining their pockets. The larger supermarkets are taking advantage of the fact that the plastic bag levy doesn't apply to bags sold for 70c or more. If they sold bags for less than 69c, 22c of that would be owed as the levy. If they sell it for 70c, then they keep all of the proceeds.

Equium wrote: »
    Tesco, and their counterparts, are lining their pockets. The larger supermarkets are taking advantage of the fact that the plastic bag levy doesn't apply to bags sold for 69c or less. If they sold bags for less than 69c, 22c of that would be owed as the levy. If they sell it for 70c, then they keep all of the proceeds.

ah right .. the conniving little féckers!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I use the free thin plastic bags you get at the vegetable section provided for loose veg. You'd be surprised how strong they and how much will fit into them. And you can always double bag them if you have a heavier load. I've actually saved a bit in shopping bag charges over the years. haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,475 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

AllForIt wrote: »
    I use the free thin plastic bags you get at the vegetable section provided for loose veg. You'd be surprised how strong they and how much will fit into them. And you can always double bag them if you have a heavier load. I've actually saved a bit in shopping bag charges over the years. haha.

You mustn't buy much shopping if all you need is a few fruit and vegetable bags!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

ah right .. the conniving little féckers!

Just buy these and you'll have plenty for shopping.

• Advertisement
Advertisement