Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just had 30+ Leylandii felled - root killing

Options
  • 30-07-2016 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

So I've had a lot of green Leylandii felled recently and have lots of wood now to log, stack and season (fun!).

However, I have stumps that are now as close to the ground as I can get them. Will the roots still be active and if so, how do I kill them?

I know I could have left the stumps a couple of feet high and pulled out the roots with a digger but cost-wise that wasn't an option and I couldn't find anyone to take the root balls either...

So any advice appreciated. I've seen people paint undiluted roundup* onto the cambium layer (bark area) of the stump but while that might kill off the visible portion, will it kill off the roots too? Will roundup really travel that far?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

They do not regrow from the stumps, you are done, no need for roundup or stump killer with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

They do not regrow from the stumps, you are done, no need for roundup or stump killer with this one.

Thank you. Thought as much, are the roots completely done too then or will they keep sucking soil/nutrients from the soil (even though there's nowhere for it to go)?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Thank you. Thought as much, are the roots completely done too then or will they keep sucking soil/nutrients from the soil (even though there's nowhere for it to go)?

No they are dead, although the rotting process can still take some nitrogen from the soil but I wouldn't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The soil that was under the hedge canopy will not be up to much though, you will not be planting anything else there without improving the soil - maybe add some new soil and/or some manure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what i did with some leylandii stumps was drilled into them with a forstner bit to make a kind of flowerpot out of them. i have foxgloves growing out of one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement