Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stafford Wexford 2 day 2016

Options
  • 31-07-2016 12:58am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just signed up for it, went out for it a few years ago but packed it in after a bad mechanical. Well organised back then so looking forward to giving it a second go.

Anyone from around these parts going out for it?

Looks like the route is going to be the same as last year.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Just got this mail, for anyone who is riding A4:
    Following a review of timing schedules required to run both time trial circuits ( Circuit 1 for a1/a2/a3 and Juniors, and Circuit 2 for the A4 time Trial), the stage 1 distance for A4 is being reduced by 15 km back to 97 km.

The start time for all categories for stage 1 remains as 11 am from Camaross.

More updates to follow during the coming week.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

A4 time trial ! Is it not just two open races for the a4 one Saturday and the other Sunday?

A4 time trial ! Is it not just two open races for the a4 one Saturday and the other Sunday?

Nope, there is a TT for everyone, hooray. One race on the Saturday morning, TT in the late afternoon and another race on Sunday morning.

CramCycle wrote:
    Nope, there is a TT for everyone, hooray. One race on the Saturday morning, TT in the late afternoon and another race on Sunday morning.

I didn't know that I'm working Saturday and was going to go up to do the Sunday . But can you sign on Sunday just for the one race or have you to do both days

Just went on to the site. I was looking at last year's poster:-(

• Advertisement

Just went on to the site. I was looking at last year's poster:-(
    Yep, It looks that way but I PM'd the guy who normally posts about it to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

MichealD wrote:
    Its a 3 stage 2 day race. No Sunday race option.

Ok thanks anyone know what time the a4 would be starting on Saturday

Ok thanks anyone know what time the a4 would be starting on Saturday

I think it was 11am both days last year. TT was around 5pm and is normally in race number start order.

A4 TT is on a different course to A2/A3 hill climb TT to get TTs finished before dark. Both will start at the same time.

Any idea what the A4 TT circuit is? Is it also a HIll climb?

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Any idea what the A4 TT circuit is? Is it also a HIll climb?

https://www.strava.com/segments/12614321

Starts flat along the river then twists and turns into tough enough final km climb. Road bike TT imo.

Cheers for that, I have done the other route a few times, not sure which I would have preferred but I am glad I know now.

mathie wrote: »
    Is this the first or the second day course?
    https://www.strava.com/segments/5191298
    Or has it changed?

That was the Saturday stage 1 last year. I understand stage 3 on Sunday is last years in reverse ie Start line - New Ross - Enniscorthy - Wexford - finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭royrogers

Is sign on in Camross for all stages, dont see anything on there fb page or ww page??

royrogers wrote: »
    Is sign on in Camross for all stages, dont see anything on there fb page or ww page??

It's definitely Camaross Hall for the first day. I presume like other stage races, times for the TT will be up that morning or even before and you just turn up at the time.

Not sure about stage 3, it looked like it is there but it would not be overly close, will send a message.

Stage 3 sign on is at the start of stage 3, ie the Wexford County council offices.

Thanks to Michael for getting back to me so quick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Do you wear your CI numbers in stage races or do you get different ones on the day?

mathie wrote: »
    Do you wear your CI numbers in stage races or do you get different ones on the day?

Typically stage numbers (I think, having done two) would be provided in stage races but I would bring my numbers to be safe.

More rain during that race than Wexford has seen all year. There was 2 hours where it didn't rain between stage 1 and the TT.

Chain drop on stage 1 on the only proper climb (short but steep) seen me drop from 5th down to last. By the time I got the chain on, gear right, I hopped on and got moving just before the comms car. Of course I didn't realise the back wheel was covered in **** when I pulled in and it went on me. I carrered across the road and cut it off. Thankfully they understood when I apologised after the race. Never caught back on and ended up getting neutralised by the A1 comms. If I had been 30 seconds ahead I would have made the turn but the 35 second loss I had turned into almost 3 minutes after we were ordered over. Worked well with some stellar people but we never gained anymore time and I was quite dejected by the last lap.

The TT started incredibly well considering how sh1t I felt only 2 hours before. Got a load of water on board then a double espresso on board. Despite only being 3.8km I could see my minute man before the first big ramp. I took the hairpin wide as it looked greasy from a spin earlier but somehow both wheels came out as I straightened up. I lay on the ground for about 30 seconds trying to figure out what was gone but it just felt like road rash. Marshall came sprinting over once the road was clear and helped me up. Spent another 30 seconds getting the chain and derailleur sorted out. Shoe had the buckle ripped off but by God did the Marshall have a set of arms for a push off. Couldn't click in for another 30 seconds and the sprint at the end was muted as pulling up made it feel like my foot would pop out. My minute man was in the top 5. I was in the bottom 5.

Along came stage 3, after stage 1, the general consensus was to take it easy and it helped me recover. My shoulders were in bits but I felt really good. Then, as if to say, that'll do pig, that'll do. I puncture at the half way mark. I don't have spare wheels but I was offered one by a team over from the UK who I had been chatting to at the TT. Alas my chain got tangled and I settled for a tube and pump to get me home having lost over 2 minutes at this point. Good thing too as I punctured again 6km out from the finish. I started walking but with 2km left a van pulled over with a wheel to get me back. His two sons were in A4 and he had relations in the other two races. Never got his name though. Must figure it out.

I made it back to see the finishes. Stellar job by the organisers and the riders and their support. The race shored up my faith in humanity and racers. Gels jammed into pockets, camaraderie from everyone, slaps on the back, genuine calls of hard luck when I punctured. I got huge support from several clubs, with several offering support (big thanks to my own club who did give me huge support without asking). In fact every follow car asked was I OK.

I will finish it next year, 3rd times lucky. Gutted I didn't finish but I learned a lot, including when it is not my weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

That is a really crappy 2 days of dreadful luck. Well done for dogged perseverance. When you drop a chain in the A4 bunch,especially going up a hill, it is very difficult to get back on. Getting wheels from neutral service is also a lottery especially if its the back wheel, as these wheels are usually end-of-life where the chain skips as the cassette is worn and not aligned. This was my experience in wexford 2-day a few years back. Given that were in the same club...I sense a conspiracy.

. This was my experience in wexford 2-day a few years back. Given that were in the same club...I sense a conspiracy.

We did take one of theirs 3 years ago so it is quite possible. On the other hand one of ours took first in the A4 so swings and roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

Given that the winner is seen frequently at The Bar, I suspect that there may have been a pragmatic decision not to mess with him. The bars we attend don't have the same impact.

Disclaimer: We're bull****ing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

A tough weekend of racing and one that I knew wouldn't suit me prior to signing up.

I did the Frank O'Rourke a few years ago so had my own idea of what Stage 1 would be and wasn't too concerned. Except it wasn't quite what I was expecting. On the second lap we took a right and hit a big f**k off hill. I was straight out the back and spent the next 60+km chasing down other stragglers with the front of the race well and truly gone. Ended up working with a Dunboyne rider and then another Lucan for the last few laps. I think I caught and crossed the line with CramCycle in a bunch of four about 12 mins down on the main group.
    Other than the hills on the 2nd and 4th laps I felt pretty good and had a NP of 280w for the 3 hours.

2nd Stage was the Hill TT - short, sharp and horrible. Set off and straight away could feel the earlier race in my legs. Just couldn't push as hard as I wanted to even on the flat.The hilliest part was over and done with quick enough and I wasn't caught by my minute man so happy with that!

3rd Stage was a little bit of a Sunday spin in places. I tried a few times to get away and did a bot of work on the front to try and get the pace up. Plan was to really start pushing it from the 80km mark but I'd done too much work by then and had very little left in my legs. At one point I managed to get up to the front and then had to pretty quickly pull left as I was struggling to stay there with 3-4km to go we hit the final steep hill and I was tempted to get off and walk, I didn't and finally finished a couple of minutes down. NP of 279w.

Really enjoyed the race, thought it was very well run and tried my best to thank marshalls as I went past.

I did the Frank O'Rourke a few years ago so had my own idea of what Stage 1 would be and wasn't too concerned. Except it wasn't quite what I was expecting. On the second lap we took a right and hit a big f**k off hill. I was straight out the back and spent the next 60+km chasing down other stragglers with the front of the race well and truly gone. Ended up working with a Dunboyne rider and then another Lucan for the last few laps. I think I caught and crossed the line with CramCycle in a bunch of four about 12 mins down on the main group.
    That was me, that last lap just took it out of me, I overtook a swords rider but they didn't latch on, then my legs faded and when they caught me I spent most of the N25 trying to catch them. That last drag into Canmaross was a tough one, when you slow down on that road, you feel every rumble. Glad ye were so nice when ye caught me, helped me pick up for the last few km as I dangled off ye're rear wheels.
    3rd Stage was a little bit of a Sunday spin in places. I tried a few times to get away and did a bot of work on the front to try and get the pace up. Plan was to really start pushing it from the 80km mark but I'd done too much work by then and had very little left in my legs. At one point I managed to get up to the front and then had to pretty quickly pull left as I was struggling to stay there with 3-4km to go we hit the final steep hill and I was tempted to get off and walk, I didn't and finally finished a couple of minutes down. NP of 279w.
    I could see you in the distance for a bit, took a few turns on the front myself but no one had any real interest except for you and the Lucan rider in pulling it along. I eventually gave up being nice and got my rest in the pack.

Advertisement