Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning in A&A

Options
  • 31-07-2016 5:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭

Having PMed the relevant Mod and not received a satisfactory answer, I wish to dispute a formal warning in the Abortion Discussion thread;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100511376&postcount=3220

I feel the card was unjustified; I was carded for not complying with a mods instructions when I was specifically pointing out that I did not want to engage further in a conversation likely not be in accordance with a mods instructions.

The second part of the warning was for "making an unhelpful comment about a forum moderator and quoting "vague", "unctuous", "tedious" and "word-splitting" as though they were in the warning, as it stands now, which you received", none of which I actually did. I didn't quote anything (though I agree that particular Mod used these words in describing my post on another thread and then redacted them), I didn't refer to any warning, either as it was originally phrased or as it stands now, and I didn't make any comment about a moderator, unhelpful or otherwise; I commented on the kind of discussion which makes a particular moderator testy and that if we proceeded in that direction I would not be answering the poster.

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Hi Absolam, I will look into this for you. Please allow me some time to investigate, and in the meantime I'd be grateful if you could either forward, or post here, any PMs you sent/received in relation to this.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Thank you Toots. PMs forwarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Post deleted. Do not post in this thread unless invited to do so by a CMod or Admin.

Thanks,

tHB

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Absolam wrote: »
    Thank you Toots. PMs forwarded.

Thanks Absolam, I've received the PMs. I'll investigate and post back here with my decision.

Absolam, I've read through that thread and also the PMs exchanged between you and the mod in question regarding your yellow card, and also the on-thread warning that you quoted.

I'm finding it very hard to see a reason to reverse the card. I'm not sure whether the reason would be more appropriate as "ignored mod instruction" "breach of forum charter" because I don't think it's a co-incidence that you quoted the exact words that were used in the on-thread warning you received. That aspect of your post was either A: Discussing a mod action on thread, or B: trying to get a dig in at the mod who issued the on-thread warning (now redacted).

TBH, I can't see any innocently explained reason why you phrased your post the way you did.

Is there any further information you can give me as to why you think it was OK to post what you did? I'd appreciate if you could keep it as concise and to-the-point as possible ie: a short couple of sentences, not an essay.

• Advertisement

Hi Toots , I used the wording I did because it was wording the mod in question chose not to have in the warning after reflecting on it. I wanted to point out that I was very deliberately trying to avoid the kind of discussion which could be characterised in such a fashion; not trying or get a dig in but attempting to show I was staying on the right side of even the retracted version of the warning previously issued.

OK, that makes no sense at all; the way you responded was pretty much the opposite of what you were asked to do in the warning. I'm sorry, but I really can't believe that was your intent with the way you phrased that response.

I'm upholding the yellow card. You can, if you wish, have your appeal reviewed by an Admin, and their decision is final.

Hi Toots, I'm not sure why you think it makes no sense; I was specifically warned not to post any more vacuous waffle or I would be carded. I can't see how what I posted can be construed as vacuous waffle, particularly by a mod who themselves has used the same wording, when I'm actually saying I don't want to engage in, amongst other things, vacuous waffle.

I understand you don't believe it was my intent to show I was staying on the right side of even the retracted version of the warning previously issued, but I think it's fair to point out that if it's my intent you're having trouble with, you can see that I post in Soc a lot; I would hardly intend to post something likely to lead to me not being allowed to post. I've been on opposite sides of a discussion with this mod plenty of times without feeling the need to stoop to 'getting a dig in'.

So yes, please, I would like to have my appeal reviewed by an admin.

Fair enough, I'll flag this for Admin review.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I'll look into this and come back shortly.

• Advertisement

OK OP

the mod in this case was spot on. Frankly you are lucky they just gave you a visible slap on the wrist (yellow card) rather than an infraction for that comment.
    Just one month ago on that same thread you were told to cut out those types of comments, yet here we are and in the middle of your reply I see this
    I have a feeling this is going to add nothing to the debate; indeed it may already be descending into the kind of vague, unctuous, tedious, word splitting vacuous waffle which makes Robindch so very testy.

Frankly that response was always going to get actioned, the question as admin I have to answer is was it appropriately actioned.

So let me cut to the chase. The warning stands.

Next steps, change how you contribute to A&A immediately. If you cannot contribute in a positive fashion then very soon I can see you being banned from there. This isn't a threat, I've just this type of posting before and it only goes one of two ways, the poster changes how they contribute or they get banned.

From many of your posts that I reviewed I can see you have a critical mind and an ability to dissect the facts and present your viewpoint in a reasonable fashion, but every so often it's like you experience a brain fart and we get posts like the one that prompted this warning.

Remember play the ball not the person, otherwise you'll be accused of being a d1ck or worse a troll and it's hard to escape that label. A yellow is just a light "hold on what are you doing" used where on thread warnings or PMs have failed. It's not an infraction or a ban, but it could well be a precursor to one should such posts continue.

Cheers.

I can't say I'm anything other than disappointed with your conclusion Taltos; what I have been 'told to cut out' and the reasoning behind the warnings seems to vary substantially depending on the point of view being put forward rather than what was actually said.

Still I understand your decision is final in this process.

Thanks Absolam. Hope I didn't come across as too harsh, just called it as I saw it from the thread and posts.

Marking as resolved so.

Cheers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement