Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refurbed PCs, is there much of a risk

Options
  • 31-07-2016 8:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭

I need a new PC, but I don't want to be paying a whole lot, for a fairly basic new desktop, monitor, keyboard etc, it's up around the 500/600 mark, these are all running win10. I've had a look at a few refurbed units, all win7, all same ram and HD as the new unit, but for only €250. For basic working from home and family use, am I better off going for the refurbed unit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Where are you buying? Many of the return units, adverts donedeal etc are well over 10 years old and have come our of offices left on 24 hours a day.

You can pick up a brand new tower fairly cheap that'll outperform anything you'll buy from donedeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I was looking at greenit and some uk crowd, for a dual monitor setup up it was coming in at just over 230. I do prefer this set up but dont need to go down this path straight away.
    Tbh, I didn't have a proper look at new units, I was put off quite early with the prices so I will take any recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

They're a mixed bag. (Then again so are the new ones). Desktop towers are usually reliable, laptops less so.

Dell has their outlet shop in the UK.
    http://www.dell.com/learn/uk/en/ukdfh1/campaigns/splitter
    with a warranty.

Irish buyers have to phone to order (Mon-Fri to order) and prices are sterling ex vat. There's a filter for 'scratched and dented' machines.

Note the processor number in particular the 4 digits in the CPU number.
    i3-2xxx would be a fairly old machine.
    i3-4xxx, indicates the intel CPU generation from a couple of years back.
    i3-6xxx is this years CPU generation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

2nd hand will save you a lot of money, only advice I'd give is get one with a solid state drive, or else add your own - makes a radical difference.

For example this is a 1st gen i3 with 4GB of ram and a 120GB SSD for €109.

Perfectly fast for all the things you want to do. Another nice one here for €150, actually a more modern machine, is more compact and has USB3 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭ablelocks

I bought a Dell refurb Dimension E520 in Oct 2007 - just upgraded it to Win 10 on Friday and it's working fine (apart from a sleep=coma issue, but i'll sort that out today hopefully) (it even got fried by lightning strike, Dell did a free repair on it - still not sure why)

• Advertisement
Advertisement