Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bundle of Sticks Roundabout

Options
  • 31-07-2016 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭

OMG, this charade is going on too long now. I have been driving for 40 years, and have never seen a lane of a dual carriageway closed for ( what ) 2-3 months TO BUILD A BLOODY WALL.

Don't know who authorised this crazy arrangement, or who is doing the job, but surely KCC are stuck in there somewhere? I only hope that now the lane is closed, both lanes will be resurfaced before both lanes are open? AND, that traffic on the inside lane will ONLY be permitted to turn left going over the M7.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

... I only hope that now the lane is closed, both lanes will be resurfaced before both lanes are open? AND, that traffic on the inside lane will ONLY be permitted to turn left going over the M7.

Careful what you wish for. That could take another 6-9 months!!
    Just wait until the M7 widening works get to there, it's going to be all kinds of madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

OMG, this charade is going on too long now. I have been driving for 40 years, and have never seen a lane of a dual carriageway closed for ( what ) 2-3 months TO BUILD A BLOODY WALL.

Don't know who authorised this crazy arrangement, or who is doing the job, but surely KCC are stuck in there somewhere? I only hope that now the lane is closed, both lanes will be resurfaced before both lanes are open? AND, that traffic on the inside lane will ONLY be permitted to turn left going over the M7.

Firstly its causing virtually no traffic issues.

Secondly the wall has to be built to a high standard due to the amount of traffic that will be passing there in the near future.

Thirdly it was tendered and contracted and the timeframe stipulated to be finished by mid August. Its on budget and on time.

Fourthly its not a KCC project - its an TII project and to do with M7 widening and new junction 10.

Fifth - left lane unless specified by signage is for 1st and secoind exits once the second exit is 180 degrees or less, therefore unless htere was very good reason, the left lane remains for M7 & Naas.

Not sure you know, but a complete redesign and move of Junction 10 is being done. The junction is being moved south to just before where that wall is being built and will utilise the current bridge over the M7. Work has started (wall and prep work on M7 itself). Not sure the cmpletion date, but I would guess 2018. By that time there will be a new junction that will bring you from that road directly onto the M7 without havign to go to bundle of sticks.

here's the timeline

Jct 9A Osberstown 2018 INTERCHANGE
    Jct 10 Rebuild and Reconfiguration 2018 INTERCHANGE
    Jct 9-11 Naas/Newbridge Widening (11.5) 2019 WIDENING

Considering almost all major road schemes are now completed on or ahead of time, you can take it that these dates will be met.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CorkMan_

Any link to the plans @VincePP. I come from Naas to Newbridge everyday for work so would like to see what is coming down the road!

CorkMan_ wrote: »
    Any link to the plans @VincePP. I come from Naas to Newbridge everyday for work so would like to see what is coming down the road!

whole thread on it - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056598662&page=38

Looks like its designed quite well and will see a lot of the bottlenecks in the area gone.

add in a new junction 9a at oberstown serving Sallins bypass and millenium park and it should see big drop in delays. Completion by end of 2018

Do note that average speed detection areas are being added to M7 near J10, so watch the speed in the roadworks when this goes live

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

VincePP wrote: »
    Firstly its causing virtually no traffic issues.

Secondly the wall has to be built to a high standard due to the amount of traffic that will be passing there in the near future.

Thirdly it was tendered and contracted and the timeframe stipulated to be finished by mid August. Its on budget and on time.

Fourthly its not a KCC project - its an TII project and to do with M7 widening and new junction 10.

Fifth - left lane unless specified by signage is for 1st and secoind exits once the second exit is 180 degrees or less, therefore unless htere was very good reason, the left lane remains for M7 & Naas.

Not sure you know, but a complete redesign and move of Junction 10 is being done. The junction is being moved south to just before where that wall is being built and will utilise the current bridge over the M7. Work has started (wall and prep work on M7 itself). Not sure the cmpletion date, but I would guess 2018. By that time there will be a new junction that will bring you from that road directly onto the M7 without havign to go to bundle of sticks.

here's the timeline

Jct 9A Osberstown 2018 INTERCHANGE
    Jct 10 Rebuild and Reconfiguration 2018 INTERCHANGE
    Jct 9-11 Naas/Newbridge Widening (11.5) 2019 WIDENING

Considering almost all major road schemes are now completed on or ahead of time, you can take it that these dates will be met.

Fair enough, but I never commented that the lane closure was creating delays ( though don't get stuck behind a cyclist if Youi are in a hurry).

I still have never seena lane of a DC closed to build a wall. And I re-iterate what I said in my original post: Hopefully, now that they have the lane closed it will be re-surfaced before re-opening it. Also would help a lot if they made the inner lane left turn ONLY!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭racersedge

Do note that average speed detection areas are being added to M7 near J10, so watch the speed in the roadworks when this goes live

Copped them - hard to miss really. Any info on when, if not already they go into action. Nobody seems to take heed at this point and going at reduced speed the roadworks are signposted for would make you a dangerous hazard compared to 99% of the traffic, at least based on my own experience through that section.

Fair enough, but I never commented that the lane closure was creating delays ( though don't get stuck behind a cyclist if Youi are in a hurry).

I still have never seena lane of a DC closed to build a wall. And I re-iterate what I said in my original post: Hopefully, now that they have the lane closed it will be re-surfaced before re-opening it. Also would help a lot if they made the inner lane left turn ONLY!

Heath and safety demands a certain space to protect the workers. In any case the dual carraigeway element is historic - if a new road was built there now a single lane carraigeway would suffice, hence closing of a lane brought no problem whatsoever to motorists and provided safety to those working on the wall.

As for making left lane left turn only - utterly crazy and dangerous idea. You can't look at a roundabout junction form one single perspective. Imagine all the cars going from newbridge to naas - outer lane, into inner lane of roaundabout, then cross over outer lane to exit for Naas and at the same time motorists from M7 and rathangan joining and properly assuming those coming from newbridge were taking third exit - you'd have daily accidents.

Resurfacing - not a chance. That would be a complete waste of money. Its not in bad condition and it will be completely relaid as part of the new junction layout.

If you are in such a rush as to be unable to wait a few extra seconds, leave a few seconds earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Heath and safety demands a certain space to protect the workers. In any case the dual carraigeway element is historic - if a new road was built there now a single lane carraigeway would suffice, hence closing of a lane brought no problem whatsoever to motorists and provided safety to those working on the wall.

As for making left lane left turn only - utterly crazy and dangerous idea. You can't look at a roundabout junction form one single perspective. Imagine all the cars going from newbridge to naas - outer lane, into inner lane of roaundabout, then cross over outer lane to exit for Naas and at the same time motorists from M7 and rathangan joining and properly assuming those coming from newbridge were taking third exit - you'd have daily accidents.

Resurfacing - not a chance. That would be a complete waste of money. Its not in bad condition and it will be completely relaid as part of the new junction layout.

If you are in such a rush as to be unable to wait a few extra seconds, leave a few seconds earlier.

You seem to have an answer for everything. Only in Ireland would one find a dual carriageway with a hard shoulder and traffice unable to get past a cyclist.

As for the left turn only, I have lost the count on the number of cars flying up to the junction on the inside lane coming from Toughers and people having to jam on their brakes ( coming off the M7 or from Rathangan ) as the speedster goes straight across the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Magilla Gorilla

If you are coming on to the roundabout from rathangan/M7 you have to give way to traffic coming from Newbridge, so what is the problem?

Advertisement