Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse hair

Options
  • 31-07-2016 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,
    does anyone know where I could get horse tail hair from? I am making an artwork and I want to use a bundle of horse hair for part of it. I dont want to use false hair extensions or anything artificial.

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Raised Eyebrow

How much hair and what length? Also colour or colours wanted? If not too much some horse owners who aren't showing their horse wouldn't mind giving some. You could try calling to a local riding school or livery yard. I wouldn't mind donating some as long as it is not a huge amount that leaves the tail looking awful. I'm in Dublin.
    You may get a better response posting in the equestrian forum and specify your exact requirements and location

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Artist83

Thanks for your kind offer. Yea I'm looking for about a meter in length and a full tail in diameter. So that's probably more than you can spare? Black if possible. I'm based in Dublin but I can travel to collect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Doubt anyone would be cutting off their horses tail any time soon .... I'd be thinning my mares tail alright but wouldn't be nearly as thick as you're looking for!

Best thing would be to get lengths from a few different people ... Be very hard to get an entire tail!

I don't mind donating some, but not all of it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Raised Eyebrow

Artist83 wrote: »
    Thanks for your kind offer. Yea I'm looking for about a meter in length and a full tail in diameter. So that's probably more than you can spare? Black if possible. I'm based in Dublin but I can travel to collect it.

None of mine have black tails unfortunately but there are many bay horses who do. Nobody could donate a full tail it would be cruel and look awful. Maybe donations from several horses and dye them so uniform in colour? A metre length may be tricky as the hair won't always be full length at the bone. Try a large yard. Also Facebook horse groups. Sounds interesting. Please post again with an update of how you got on. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

There are a huge number of horse hair (tail) suppliers, from which you can buy "tail bundles"! For musical intruments & bows, for textile crafts, for upholstery, for brushes, there are many uses to which horse tails are used. I believe China and south America are huge suppliers, but have heard of eastern European countries supplying also. Typically 'harvested' from horses who have died, been slaughtered...

Google it-heres a couple of suppliers:

http://www.chichesterinc.com/HorseHair.htm

http://www.animalhair.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Purely by coincidence I was watching a program on TV the other night where they visited one of the few remaining horse hair weavers in the UK, or probably the world. It's used for chair and seat coverings and is very hard wearing. I think it was this one ... http://www.johnboydtextiles.co.uk/

There are some suppliers on ebay as well if you look, but it's not cheap.

Advertisement