Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackerel

Options
  • 31-07-2016 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hey I was wondering if anyone has spotted or caught any mackerel around galway yet or is it still a bit early??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

A lot of mackerel in Clew Bay this week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I got these last week
    IDShot_225x225.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Galwayboy1888

Tesco own brand... no thanks 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

No sign of them inshore & the sprat haven't arrived yet. There will be plenty out in the bay.

Discodog wrote: »
    No sign of them inshore & the sprat haven't arrived yet. There will be plenty out in the bay.

A mate of mine caught 70-80 in youghal last week fishing on shore... during low tide too!!

Hopefully we get a blast of them at some stage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

I saw a load of sprats when snorkeling in Spiddal last weekend.
    I am not sure if people are catching mackeral on Galway shores yet.

I did hear that shoals are getting smaller of smaller. Factory ships are hoovering them up as they migrate and they often mulch them for various products e.g. fertilizers/petfood. Such a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I did hear that shoals are getting smaller of smaller. Factory ships are hoovering them up as they migrate and they often mulch them for various products e.g. fertilizers/petfood. Such a waste.

Is the snorkelling good in Spiddal? Any spots in particular?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The mackerel don't appear inshore until the sprat are getting washed up. No sign so far but my dogs will be the first to know :)

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Is the snorkelling good in Spiddal? Any spots in particular?

Very good. Trá Sáilinn is a nice spot - loads of rocks for fish/plant life.
    It's best on a low tide where you can get out to the permanent water and the kelp beds.

Anyone have any luck yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

There was a fella sitting at the edge of the docks (inside) on Saturday picking out a few, he had 5 or 6 in a bag.

J o e wrote: »
    There was a fella sitting at the edge of the docks (inside) on Saturday picking out a few, he had 5 or 6 in a bag.

Jaysus I wouldn't eat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I would and I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mtcob

Does any body know if boat strand in waterford is a good spot for cathcing mackerel or if there are any decent spots nearby?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭Storm 10

mtcob wrote: »
    Does any body know if boat strand in waterford is a good spot for cathcing mackerel or if there are any decent spots nearby?

Were good here but not that good, try the Waterford forum for a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mtcob

thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭gifted

I know it's not in galway but just back from blackhead in clare and hauled in about 30 of them in an hour...

gifted wrote: »
    I know it's not in galway but just back from blackhead in clare and hauled in about 30 of them in an hour...

Well done. Great high tides the past 2 evening even though it's a bit wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭gifted

Was lovely down there..water was calm enough...touch of a wind but plenty of mackerel being caught..took about thirty, buddy will get a dozen for his family and I'll put some in the freezer....could have caught a lot more but no point in being greedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭robinwing

Any spot around Wexford coastline where they are being caught ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This is the Galway forum. You can ask in Wexford forum here.

Advertisement