Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 weeks to move out. Struggling to find a room

Options
  • 31-07-2016 1:11pm

Ok so I've got 3 weeks to find some where new to live.
    I've searched alot of places around me even tried Wicklow and Kildare. I just can't afford any of the current rates.
    I only moved out of the family home less than a year ago( was about time) and my place there has been taken by bro's gf and their child so thats a no go.

Is there a point in me registering as homeless? i have a job the pay isnt too bad, but paying the rent and supporting my child (doesnt live with me) I don't think i could afford it. Will they help me if i have a full time job?or will i be put at the back of the list?
    Other options ive came up with is sleep in my van for a few weeks/months while i save all my wages until i can afford somewhere decent and get myself back on my feet. (because i only have 3 weeks to get out i wasnt expecting it to happen so fast, and financially i can only pay last months rent here and the remainder of the tv and broadband contract.

Any help/ will be greatly recieved guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Is sharing an option?

I've looked at a few sharing places, If i found the right place I would take it. The ones i looked at were for people just wanting the house for monday to friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

there are some hotels/hostels around that do reasonable prices on long term stays. A google search for long term stay hostel or hotel brings up a good few options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

You have a relatively well paying job and one child who doesn't live with you to support.

And you can't find or afford anywhere to live?

If true, which I don't believe it is if you were truly desperate, then the housing crisis is far worse than first imagined.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭yqtwqxqm

How much can you afford?

• Advertisement

You have a relatively well paying job and one child who doesn't live with you to support.

And you can't find or afford anywhere to live?

If true, which I don't believe it is if you were truly desperate, then the housing crisis is far worse than first imagined.

I've seen house shares for 750 a month. i couldn't afford that. I couldn't afford to pay a deposit and first months rent.
    Well I dont get huge wages and just because she doesn't live with me does not mean i don't support her or is any cheaper than if i was living with her.

yqtwqxqm wrote: »
    How much can you afford?

Well i was paying 400 a month where i am now, i could go abit higher than that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Well i was paying 400 a month where i am now, i could go abit higher than that.

There are over 500 house shares in Dublin on daft for less than 500 per month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

Definitely house share. No one should be homeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

you don't have to pay your last months rent were you are now( i presume you payed it when you moved in) and you'll get your deposit back. Can you not use these for the new place ?
    and take the broadband/tv package with you if you're being hit with early termination fees?

• Advertisement

i didnt pay a deposit, i technically have to pay my last months rent here, also i have been searching for 500 or less in south dublin. if i go towards city or north side my budget would be smaller. The ones ive seen so far( im still looking as we speak) alot of them seem to only be ideal for students who go home on weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

I've seen some houseshares for 650 euro which is ridiculously expensive but how about changing your budget to 600. Get a loan for deposit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

I already had a loan got for a few things in the house i'm in now. and recently closed my credit card account. i'm sure i can scrape a deposit together in 3 weeks if i live with spending the bare minimum.

This post has been deleted.

She doesn't live with me but ideally i'd rent a place that i'd be able to have her on weekends as i do now, I'd stretch the budget to accomodate this rather than for a bigger place thats on the north side.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭rebelwithcause

You can't get rent allowance if you work over 30 hours per week. The income disregard is so low that even earning the minimum wage would mean you are entitled to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭corner of hells

She doesn't live with me but ideally i'd rent a place that i'd be able to have her on weekends as i do now, I'd stretch the budget to accomodate this rather than for a bigger place thats on the north side.

You won't qualify for a rent allowance but definitely get a housing needs assessment done in your local authority area.
    You might be able to offer an argument for a housing association depending on your circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You might be able to offer an argument for a housing association depending on your circumstances.

Get the assessment for sure, but they won't count the kid in your housing needs unless you are the main caregiver.

Take anything, ideally a single room in a houseshare, for now, and work on saving a decent buffer: imagine what would happen if you got sick and couldn't work for a few weeks and didn't save some savings to fall back on.

Once you have enough money to pay for your costs for 12 weeks in the bank, look for a new place that's big enough to have the kid for weekends.

found a really affordable place thats just a room nearby i hope to view it tommorow. id be able to save my ass off for a few months until i can find a more suitable place for me to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You have to under a certain income to get rent allowance and be on the housing list.
    i think the threshold for a couple is 79k income to be eligible for social housing.
    quote ,
    You won’t qualify for Rent Supplement if you:

Are in full-time employment or self-employment (30 hours or more a week). However, if you are assessed as in need of housing under the Rental Accommodation Scheme and have been out of full-time employment for 12 months or more you may be entitled to the Supplement - see ‘Employment and Rent Supplement’ below

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Is house-share even really an option if he wants his kid there for the weekend though? I can't imagine too many housemates that would be OK with that. Also personally i wouldn't like to have my daughter staying in a house with strangers. I know that does not help the OP at all but i genuinely think a house share might not work

well as i said already Rawn, i would only have an increased budget if i had an place where i could have her, as in another parent in same situation. so it's looking like i am just going to have to get a single room. If i just rent a room id never have her there, would just have her in my mothers place.

Anyways i put up an ad on daft looking for housemates in similar situation.
    thanks for advice guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

If you are on a reasonable salary you really should consider setting up a regular savings account and put something aside each month for emergencies like this. It's very worrying to see people living week to week with zero savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

rawn wrote: »
    Is house-share even really an option if he wants his kid there for the weekend though? I can't imagine too many housemates that would be OK with that. Also personally i wouldn't like to have my daughter staying in a house with strangers. I know that does not help the OP at all but i genuinely think a house share might not work

Its not ideal but neither is homelessness, I know which I'd pick...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

donegal. wrote: »
    you don't have to pay your last months rent were you are now( i presume you payed it when you moved in) and you'll get your deposit back. Can you not use these for the new place ?
    and take the broadband/tv package with you if you're being hit with early termination fees?

Why would you suggest someone doesn't have to pay their last month????
    Deposit should not be used as last month as that is not its purpose.

If you are on a reasonable salary you really should consider setting up a regular savings account and put something aside each month for emergencies like this. It's very worrying to see people living week to week with zero savings.

i have savings in credit union, but have a loan against the savings already, My money situation isn't that great at the moment, i rushed into moving in about 8 months ago and with getting things for the house and a holiday i didnt get to save much money at all. This is what happens when you go against your gut feeling. Be grand she said, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

alias no.9 wrote:
    Its not ideal but neither is homelessness, I know which I'd pick...

I completely agree, i was just pointing it out that it's less than ideal. I hope the OP can find somewhere where he can have his daughter is all!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

Why would you suggest someone doesn't have to pay their last month????
    Deposit should not be used as last month as that is not its purpose.

i was thinking he may have payed his final months rent as well as a deposit before he moved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

donegal. wrote: »
    i was thinking he may have payed his final months rent as well as a deposit before he moved in.

Yes but very unlikely. That would be 3 months (first, final and deposit) It wouldn't be common. Especially with the OP struggling to make ends meet. It's still largely deposit plus first months rent up front. You phrased it as if it was the norm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭yqtwqxqm

Yes but very unlikely. That would be 3 months (first, final and deposit) It wouldn't be common. Especially with the OP struggling to make ends meet. It's still largely deposit plus first months rent up front. You phrased it as if it was the norm.

1st and last months plus 1 months deposit is more common than not in Dublin now. And becoming more common all the time.

Advertisement