Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 weeks to move out. Struggling to find a room

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

If you don't mind me asking, why do you only have three weeks to move out. If you are more than six months renting where you are now you should be under a part IV tenancy and this can only be terminated in very specific circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,570 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Surely OP should register as "can't afford to live exactly where I want" rather than homeless.

Op has the option of shares at low cost but just not ones op likes, what about making do till something better comes along ??
    What about sleeping on your parents couch for a few weeks and save that rent for a better deposit.
    What about move further out into commuter belt and commute ??
    What about moving altogether to a county you can find work and accommodation suitable for you in.

This just really explains a lot of the current "homeless" explosion we see. These are people who are choosing to register as homeless because they won't compromise on their choice regarding where they live. I'm not saying no one is homeless, I'm saying its become somehow acceptable for such people to say they are homeless because they can't afford accommodation just exactly where they want it.

Find anything you can afford OP, save and move to something better when you can afford it. It's what generations of people have done, homeless isn't just some thing you say when you can't afford your ideal place to live, that's demeaning on genuinely homeless people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

If you don't mind me asking, why do you only have three weeks to move out. If you are more than six months renting where you are now you should be under a part IV tenancy and this can only be terminated in very specific circumstances.

OP was a licensee according to his last thread. There's no Part 4.

_Brian wrote: »
    Surely OP should register as "can't afford to live exactly where I want" rather than homeless.

Op has the option of shares at low cost but just not ones op likes, what about making do till something better comes along ??
    What about sleeping on your parents couch for a few weeks and save that rent for a better deposit.
    What about moving altogether to a county you can find work and accommodation suitable for you in.

This just really explains a lot of the current "homeless" explosion we see. These are people who are choosing to register as homeless because they won't compromise on their choice regarding where they live. I'm not saying no one is homeless, I'm saying its become somehow acceptable for such people to say they are homeless because they can't afford accommodation just exactly where they want it.

Find anything you can afford OP, save and move to something better when you can afford it. It's what generations of people have done, homeless isn't just some thing you say when you can't afford your ideal place to live, that's demeaning on genuinely homeless people.

i said i can't afford to live further away from my job ect at the moment, it's already been suggested i find somewhere thats cheap so i can save up. going homeless was a last resort and i was enquiring about it.
    Alot of the shares as i have stated already that were affordable only wanted a monday to friday arrangement which would suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

It'snot as simple as that Brian, re 1, Stephen has the option in that he can apply for a house-share but there are usually far more applicants than places and you may have to turn up to several viewings/auditions and wait to be chosen over other applicants
    Re 2. OP has said that his brother, brother's girl-friend and child are already resident in his parent's house so maybe that option isn't on the table.
    Re 3 and 4, if Stephen was free of responsibilities these would be sensible options but it seems he is trying to be responsible re sharing the care of his daughter, which will become a lot more difficult the further out he moves. There is also the factor that cheaper rent may not be much help if the cost of commuting to his job goes through the roof.
    The thread title re homelessness may be exaggerated for now but I imagine OP is just looking at the worst case scenario if he fails to find anything within his budget in the next three weeks. He asked for info re local authority support, took the advice on board and has said he is willing to take a single room for the present. He also has said re made mistakes re moving out of home before being financially ready but who hasn't made mistakes especially when young? The accommodation situation in Dublin is difficult at most income levels OP so you have my sympathy and good luck with your search!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

A person that is homeless by choice is not homeless. Makes me wonder how much the homeless figures are being manipulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

There is homeless as in someone who has no where to live and is being evicted.
    If your income is low the welfare officer will send you to a hotel, or a hostel, so you can look for a private flat.
    if you are working you can book a room in a hotel or hostel and pay x amount per week.
    shared rooms are cheaper.
    go to www.threshold.ie or crosscare for free advice and help.
    put adon buyand sell room wanted, look on rent.ie
    google short term accomodation ie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    A person that is homeless by choice is not homeless. Makes me wonder how much the homeless figures are being manipulated.

I work in homeless services and I've met very few that have made themselves homeless by choice.A few thatcId be suspicious of , but certainly not enough to manipulate any figures.

The OP is not homeless , he's at risk.

I work in homeless services and I've met very few that have made themselves homeless by choice.A few thatcId be suspicious of , but certainly not enough to manipulate any figures.

At risk of what? Certainly not homelessness.

At risk of what? Certainly not homelessness.

Homelessness.He's struggling to find accommodation.

Interestingly enough even couch surfing meets criteria for being homeless.

There's more and more economic homeless at the moment.Lots of young men working struggling to find long-term accomodation , staying in hostels , sleeping in vans etc .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hazydays123

Homelessness.He's struggling to find accommodation.

Interestingly enough even couch surfing meets criteria for being homeless.

There's more and more economic homeless at the moment.Lots of young men working struggling to find long-term accomodation , staying in hostels , sleeping in vans etc .

We're all somewhat 'at risk' in this extremely defective market. I rent and have a dog. If my current (very understanding) landlord wanted me out tomorrow, i'd have a really hard time finding somewhere else that would accept a pet. So I could easily become 'homeless' even on a high salary.
    I've heard of landlords who don't want tenants with children too.

Even if you have the requisite 400/500 per month for a houseshare, you're very much depending on the existing tenants deciding that you're financially stable and a good fit for the house.

There's a real lack of options out there for anybody who doesn't fit a certain mould. Basically unless you have a very uncomplicated and sterile life, you're seen as hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,570 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

At risk of choosing to be homeless.

Deciding that some accommodation isn't for them and choosing to register as homeless isn't risk, it's a comsious decision.

Op has options, options to have a home, maybe not their ideal, but something. It took me and my wife 15 years to have the first house we wanted. We scrimped and saved and put up with crappy conditions and being overcharged for what we were getting. I commuted 100 miles a day for 13 years to get the house I wanted. Choosing to roll over and register as homeless as some sort of protest and not being able to afford the ideal home straight off is just becoming too acceptable in this country.

_Brian wrote: »
    At risk of choosing to be homeless.

Deciding that some accommodation isn't for them and choosing to register as homeless isn't risk, it's a comsious decision.

Op has options, options to have a home, maybe not their ideal, but something. It took me and my wife 15 years to have the first house we wanted. We scrimped and saved and put up with crappy conditions and being overcharged for what we were getting. I commuted 100 miles a day for 13 years to get the house I wanted. Choosing to roll over and register as homeless as some sort of protest and not being able to afford the ideal home straight off is just becoming too acceptable in this country.

Maybe I'm a bit off on a tangent on this one.

Under no circumstances would I suggest anyone make themselves homeless because of being unable to get accommodation of thier choice.I've met very few individuals and only one couple that I felt were trying to manipulate the services provided and all bad one individual ended up worse off.

The only real suggestion Id make to the OP is get a housing needs assessment in his local authority.

Based on what the OP posted and I stand corrected it looked to me he was at risk of becoming homeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Holiday...tv and broadband...OP I feel sorry for you being in the situation you are in but for god sakes look at your outgoings before you sign up to anything else

If you are in such a tight spot think do you need paid tv? Even if you feel you need Internet then go for a broadband only package as it will reduce your expenses greatly and you can use free to air and also streaming services from your broadband like rte player and other options.

you may have to be in accommodation that is a bit smaller or not in as an ideal location as you desire but it will only be temporary if you can get a handle on your spending

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

riclad wrote: »
    You have to under a certain income to get rent allowance and be on the housing list.
    i think the threshold for a couple is 79k income to be eligible for social housing.
    quote ,

Is that right? 79K is a very decent income for a couple, that seems very high? So if you earn under 79k per annum as a couple you're entitled to social housing?

conf101 wrote: »
    Is that right? 79K is a very decent income for a couple, that seems very high? So if you earn under 79k per annum as a couple you're entitled to social housing?

The maximum depends on the local authority. The limits are net income, so a married couple in Dublin with no children can have a combined max of ~43k gross to apply.

Your need is then assessed for priority. A couple with no children on 43k are going to be at the bottom of the list while a family of 6 with 30k income are certainly going to be prioritised much more.

Every one on the housing list has points, you get points for medical reasons,
    how many kids you have ,are you on disability allowance ,various reasons.
    MY friend was told you need 2 kids to get a house in dublin .
    she has one child ,she got a 2bed apartment after 8 years on the list .
    Look in shops ,supermarkets , room for rent, house sharing room etc
    put up ad in tesco ,single person room wanted to rent.
    my other friend got a house in drogheda as a single person, no kids as he is on disability .

Just looked up the income limits for social housing and apparently even I qualify. I find that outrageous.

Now to go apply...

Just looked up the income limits for social housing and apparently even I qualify. I find that outrageous.

Now to go apply...

And wait forever for a house unless you have some condition or a bunch of kids. There's nothing wrong with a high threshold, the most needy on the list are prioritised and a single man on 40k is unlikely to ever be offered social housing due to newcomers with greater need.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Riclad, I thought they did away with points? I know SDCC did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Why would you suggest someone doesn't have to pay their last month???? Deposit should not be used as last month as that is not its purpose.

Its what most people do to be fair.
    If you pay last month's rent, you will usually not get your deposit back anyway due to some Bs excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I've searched alot of places around me even tried Wicklow and Kildare. I just can't afford any of the current rates.

Is there a point in me registering as homeless? i have a job the pay isnt too bad, but paying the rent and supporting my child (doesnt live with me) I don't think i could afford it. Will they help me if i have a full time job?or will i be put at the back of the list?

What possible reason do you have for declaring yourself homeless?

Have you tried, louth/meath/westmeath/etc? I know for a fact that you can rent a 4-bed for €800 where i am, not an hour from dublin.

You'd declare homeless and live off the state rather than drive an extra bit? Really OP?

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Its what most people do to be fair.
    If you pay last month's rent, you will usually not get your deposit back anyway due to some Bs excuse.

MOD: Withholding rent is illegal. The deposit is a security deposit for damage above wear and tear, not for the last month's rent. Whether it's common practice or not is besides the point.

You need advice , go to threshold or crosscare ,
    they don,t even ask for your name,
    if u just want advice re your situation.
    they can help you to find a room or a flat.
    they,, ll help you regardless on your income.

So many messages to reply to here,
    I have explained I was meant to be here in this house for five years. The TV and broadband was split three ways, and the holiday I had was booked befor I even moved in.
    Maybe I exagerratted about becoming homeless but it is a fear I have. I wasn't expecting to be in this situation a few weeks ago and basically the main problem is getting deposit and first month saved.
    The places that don't suit are ones that are just Monday to Friday why would I rent there and have no place to live at weekends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hazydays123

So many messages to reply to here,
    I have explained I was meant to be here in this house for five years. The TV and broadband was split three ways, and the holiday I had was booked befor I even moved in.
    Maybe I exagerratted about becoming homeless but it is a fear I have. I wasn't expecting to be in this situation a few weeks ago and basically the main problem is getting deposit and first month saved.
    The places that don't suit are ones that are just Monday to Friday why would I rent there and have no place to live at weekends

I honestly do feel for you. It's an awful situation to be in. A lot of us are only a few pay-cheques away from being totally broke. Even people with jobs that pay alright.

The housing situation in Dublin is totally inadequate. I have staff who pay almost 50% of their net wage per month to rent a room in a modest Dublin flat with a few other people. That's not a sustainable way of living or building solid foundations for your future.

How can we have any kind of productive economy when one of the core needs of a humanbeing- shelter- has been commodified beyond any degree of sensibility?
    What good is our fantastic (practically free) 3rd level education system if it's inaccessible to many, due to them not being able to house themselves for the duration of their degree?

Advertisement