Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter veg ... What to sew

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Garlic is best grown over winter as it needs frost to form bulbs, Savoy cabbage and Kale are also options that have worked for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭worded

I think this can be grown in winter

Growing this for the first time - mizuna - more nutritious that most lettuce

https://www.growveg.co.uk/plants/us-and-canada/how-to-grow-mizuna/

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭cobham

Following advice I got red clover to sow in newly set up raised beds and leave over the winter to dig in come Spring. It came up lovely but a week or so after the carpet of new green shoots appeared, they were gone!! Closer inspection showed a sea of little stalks = major slug attack :eek: No survivors......

I have not emptied the compost bin this past year. Any sense in doing it soon and dig in for overwinter? I thought the rain would wash any goodness out of it. Someone on here said it was better to improve the texture of the soil with compost rather than expect it to enrich it.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Dig in the compost and cover the bed/area with black plastic, old carpet or cardboard (preferably not bleached or colour printed). This will preserve the nutrients and texture, and suppress weeds.

Advertisement