Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left hand pins & needles after 20k

Options
  • 31-07-2016 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, just wondering has anyone experienced left arm pins and needles on a spin? I've switched to a road bike from a hybrid and I've noticed if I stay down on the brake covers on the bars (sorry I assume there's a more technical description, I'm new!) I get pins and needles and numbness in my left hand only. I've had the had the stem adjusted to raise the bars to a more comfortable position. My next step is to move the saddle back a touch to see does that free up a nerve from being pinched in my current riding position. Certainly not looking for medical advice as I'll see the Physio if I think it's my arm and not the bike setup. At the moment I reckon it's the setup or just muscles not being used to the position yet. Any tips on fixing it without spending a fortune on a bike fit would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

They're called hoods! How many spins have you done. That hoods grip does put your hand in an unusual position.
    This happens to me for first few spins after a while off the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

They're called hoods! How many spins have you done. That holds grip does put your hand in an unusual position.
    This happens to me for first few spins after a while off the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Probably just not used to it yet. Give it time. On a spin, switch your hand position frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Cheers! Hoods.. Noted :D

I'm new enough to it. I've been at it a couple of months really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Are you putting all your weight in your hands and locking your arms?

Keep your arms with a slight bend in them and try support your weight with your core, not your arms, will make a huge difference.

Also, switching hand position between the hoods (break covers) and the tops (either side of the stem) while cycling will help your arms and your back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You may also be prone to Carpal Tunnel Sydrome which can be exacerbated by cycling hand positions.

You may also be prone to Carpal Tunnel Sydrome which can be exacerbated by cycling hand positions.

I can feel it in my arm also but only ever on the bike so I wouldn't imagine its that. I hope not anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Domane

When I had my bike fit done by Aidan Hammond, he told me to move my hands around often and occasionally take one off the handlebars at a time and wriggle it around to keep the blood flowing. This does help as I too used to suffer from pins and needles, and now I don't!

Also helps to roll your shoulders and neck and move saddle positions every now and then to avoid getting locked up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

It'd be worth your while reading this article: https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/04/the-right-side-bias/

Don't write off a good quality bike fit. Its cheaper than a physio (been there...). I'd highly recommend Aidan Hammond.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭guym

As the others have said, and also try not to grip the hoods too hard as this can lead to pins and needles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Get a bikefit.
    Usually numbness in one hand only is from one hood being set up slightly higher than the other leaving you bearing a majority of the weight on one hand. I've seen this happen with as little as a 2-5mm difference.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Keep your arms with a slight bend in them and try support your weight with your core, not your arms, will make a huge difference.

Also, switching hand position between the hoods (break covers) and the tops (either side of the stem) while cycling will help your arms and your back.

+1 one on all this, and also using the drops as well. For a bit more comfort wider tyres at slightly lower pressure will absorb more road buzz (e.g. 25 or 28 rather than 23) as can having your bar tap wrapped thicker or with a gel insert in your preferred hand positions. For me, the main trick is keeping the grip loose and elbows slightly bent and relaxed.

Thinking about it, I rarely switch to the tops and do tend to spend a long time with my arms locked on the hoods. Good tip. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Don't lock your hands on the hoods or any other part of the bars. I find it best just to have a relaxed grip which helps absorb lumps and bumps from the road. Try not to lock your elbows and shoulders - you hands and arms should act like shock absorbers for your upper body. A relaxed grip will help in this regard.

I had pins and needles in my right arm a few years back and the culprit turned out to be a protruding disc in my cervical spine (neck) - so if symptoms persist........... Although it is worth noting that since I got back on the bike the symptoms haven't reappeared.

Advertisement