Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oireachtas Committee PSOP 7/10/2015

• 31-07-2016 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

I would like some opinions on some of the responses given by officials in this discussion because i feel they are misleading and inaccurate please?
    I feel they played down the seriousness of this contamination risk "Stagnant water when heated can lead to stomach aches" "once such water goes into the system it will be heated to above 60° Celsius thus killing Legionella within seconds" https://www.kildarestreet.com/committees/?gid=2015-10-07a.812#c1229
    The Committee,NSAI and Dept Of Environment and Jobs and Enterprise have agreed i was right about the systems being a serious public health hazard but they won't inspect one property and so they can still hide by saying they never came across the problem.
    I have seen whole estates all over Ireland with badly designed water systems one in particular a council estate contains a 7 metre pipe full of stagnant water going from the hot press up into the attic where it connects with the mains water just before it enters the main storage tank. The stagnant water has been there for over 24 months at this stage . There are also other risks of deadly toxic fluid contaminating the water systems in the same houses because the plumbers did NOT use the air breaks to prevent backflow
    The local TD Peadar Toibin SF asked Meath Co Co to inspect the estate but they refused . He also asked the department of Environment but they too have refused to get involved . I have tried to get independent reports done by experts in the field of legionnaires risks and contamination risks associated with other bacteria and chemicals but i keep getting the same answer "We have a conflict of interest" . Because i don't know the identity of the bacteria or what chemicals to test for my test results some of which show levels of bacteria over 85 times the guidelines that other european countries use have been ignored and dismissed without even inspecting the property despite all five residents having similar chest and stomach problems.I cannot get bacteria DNA tests done in Ireland . Does anyone know a company that would consider doing a survey of a water system and make a report?? One of my other theories is that our copper cylinders are badly designed and will allow bacteria to thrive and multiply has also been given credibility by a paper published by UKs WRAS which talks about their concerns over the same issue. They also now accept that 90% of legionnaires cases are misdiagnosed The Eu Disease surveillance agency have also published a study lately which suggests that i am also right when i say that Irish Water boil water notices are wrong to suggest that bathing and showering in contaminated water is safe once you don't swallow. The study agreed that bacteria and chemicals will be inhaled into the lungs as steam or through the open pores as you shower. In a recent PQ to Environment they admitted that at present there are no plumbing regulations in Ireland or enforcement of EU guidelines . The onus is on the home owner to make sure the plumber does it properly, they carry full liability. https://www.kildarestreet.com/committees/?id=2015-10-07a.782

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Can I ask what this has to do with academic research?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,424 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Hi tonyroc,
    You have brought several issues in your post that may be better addressed in one or more different content OPs started in forums that specifically address such issues with informed audiences. For example:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement