Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pruning Photinia For Optimum Growth (Heighth)

Options
  • 31-07-2016 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

I have Photinia at the end of my garden and I am trying to create a screen with them for privacy (see attachment). They are healthy and growing, but more outwards than upwards and I want to try and get more height from them.

Is there any pruning advice that would help? How and what time of year.

Also, is there any good website with videos that I could look at (specifically for this plant)?

I'm a novice gardener. The plants are about 18 months old.

T

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Presumably they are growing towards the sun so its going to be a bit difficult to get them to grow beside the fence. However if you cut all the forward facing ones quite short and make them grow more bushily that will help. Trim a bit off all the upright ones as well - I know that seems counter productive, but it will make them grow more side shoots and improve the screening. You can prune/trim Photinia and it will not do any harm.

Advertisement