Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RideLondon

Options
  • 31-07-2016 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭

Anyone watching this on BBC1? So interesting having a commentator out on a motorbike with the leader. You really get a feel for the pace when he's on screen!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Great in race coverage, rider cameras live and rider data, cadence and speed. Hopefully more of this in the future. The sportive this morning was terrific. 23,000 doing 2 distances. Would be good to do next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Coverage not so good now. Only camera, that seems to be working, is at the finish line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Jesus this is a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

SantryRed wrote: »
    Jesus this is a disaster.

If this happened on RTE there would be some outcry!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Melodeon

It's like the traditionally shambolic TV 'coverage' of a one-day race in the Basque Country :D

Ironically, the San Sebastian coverage yesterday was pretty excellent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I'm away to watch the F1 highlights

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Did this happen last year too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Poor coverage all day. The 'on the bike with Miller' thing was a gimmick to keep new viewers watching.. They ended up missing most of the attacks and you got the feeling the commentator wanted to go back to the action but the director was having none of it.

Well done to Boonen!

Anyone know who supplied the TV coverage?
    It was on both Eurosport and the BBC, so I'm surmising that the Beeb were the host broadcaster.
    Or would some independant outfit have done it and the BBC took the feed the same as Eurosport?

Anyway, someone needs to have their arse kicked up over their head for a hat!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

The TV coverage was a complete shambles in the last 20-15km especially. I was watching on BBC1 and - apart from the partisan nonsense when Tomas struck out solo with 50km to go "he's gonna win.." etc - no time gaps and no images at all (apart from spectators banging the hoardings) a I gave up and had dinner. Utter sh1te coverage and in the middle of London? Tosh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

the french can broadcast live images from the top of a remote mountain and the brits cant even broadcast from the centre of london

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

coverage of the Irish nationals was better !!!

You think the Beeb were biased ...Even after Thomas had a gap and was going for the win Kirby was saying it was all for Froome who was going to win the race (no matter that Stephens told him several times the course did not suit Froome).... he also said Froome was going to win double gold in Rio :eek:

This race needs some sort of ludicrous hat to give the winner, something like this perhaps:
    393146.jpg

Also, their own weight in traditional local foodstuffs:
    393145.jpg

godtabh wrote: »
    Did this happen last year too?

Can't emember last year but it happened this year at Tour of Yorkshire....for a whole day

So I'd say the Baque races can point the finger at England

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

MPFGLB wrote: »

Even after Thomas had a gap and was going for the win Kirby was saying it was all for Froome who was going to win the race (no matter that Stephens told him several times the course did not suit Froome).... he also said Froome was going to win double gold in Rio :eek:

That's a new low for Kirby if that's what he said. He was insufferable during the Tour. What was innocent and somewhat infectious enthusiasm when he first got the Eurosport gig has turned into self important jingoistic nonsense now.

Rob Hatch, Matt Keenan and even the Beeb guy today are all pretty good.

velo.2010 wrote: »
    That's a new low for Kirby if that's what he said. He was insufferable during the Tour. What was innocent and somewhat infectious enthusiasm when he first got the Eurosport gig has turned into self important jingoistic nonsense now.

Rob Hatch, Matt Keenan and even the Beeb guy today are all pretty good.

Ned Boulting is not bad...I like Stephens & Llyod but they are directed by Kirby
    Wish they'd give Llyod main comms sometimes
    Hatch is fine if you tune out the over exaggration of accents...but he knows his stuff and is fair

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Coverage out on the sticks was fine and the Miller thing on the back of the motorbike was novel and added to the coverage in my view.

I think there were similar issues with coverage within London last year. It would be surprising if it's the BBC who are responsible as they cope with the London marathon every year quite easily. What they do not do though is relay stuff from motorbikes which gets me wondering if someone else was brought in for the TV coverage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Can't emember last year but it happened this year at Tour of Yorkshire....for a whole day

So I'd say the Baque races can point the finger at England

Maybe that's what I was remembering. The women's race was ruined and only got to see some of the mens race

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

godtabh wrote: »
    Maybe that's what I was remembering. The women's race was ruined and only got to see some of the mens race
    IIRC that was down to the helicopter relaying images being grounded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

When does the entry open for 2017? Is it a difficult one to get an entry for?

dahat wrote: »

The organising chairman said on the bbc earlier that the lottery for next year's cycle opens on the 8th of August. Not sure about fees criteria etc.

There were 2 very serious accidents (each involving air ambulances being called). The idea of closed roads is appealing but I suspect you will still find the roads very crowded and there is a risk of many inexperienced cyclists trying to race around the course (even the BBC were referring to the sportive as a race)

Beasty wrote: »
    There were 2 very serious accidents (each involving air ambulances being called). The idea of closed roads is appealing but I suspect you will still find the roads very crowded and there is a risk of many inexperienced cyclists trying to race around the course (even the BBC were referring to the sportive as a race)

So was carlton on eurosport

From twitter @ukcyclingexpert

One of the Barmy Army riders was doing well for a while but Essex Kwik Fit have won it with Tom Boonen!! Another great win for UK cycling.

After seeing the elite race and some of those roads were also used by the sportive, jeeze you could barely fit 2 bikes on them they were so narrow. I'm surprised there were only 2 bad accidents. I believe there were 23,000 in the sportive.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Good win for boonen!. I had my money on Mathews!. Good strong ride from Thomas. Not much to say. The smaller teams had a go. With standard and Thomas in the break made it a real interesting day!.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

Just seen the cyclist died involved in the incident. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

oconnpad wrote: »
    Just seen the cyclist died involved in the incident.
    From a heart attack rather than a crash, judging by the coverage.

http://road.cc/content/news/199400-ridelondon-surrey-100-cyclist-dies-after-heart-attack

I suppose it's to be expected with that number of people. Mortality rate for a group of 27,000 50 year olds is approx 0.25/day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

I did the sportive RL 100 yesterday (did it last year too).
    dahat wrote: »

Entry: It's a ballot system - I have entered twice from my UK address and once from my Irish address and only ever won an entry with my Irish address. To enter from abroad, the fee is £85 for a place. The fee from within the UK is £58 (I think you can see what I'm implying). Last year, I got a charity place, whereby you agree to raise a certain amount for that charity in exchange for an entry - you wear the charity jersey etc.

"Race": I have done a handful of Sportives in Ireland (ROK, WW200 etc) and the UK and this one is by far the most competitive feeling one I've ever done. I quite enjoyed that element, as it really pushes you to try your best - I'd imagine a marathon would be like this.
    The closed roads really enable maximum effort and the crowds/barriers/banners/cheering etc help it feel like a pro race off the telly! So, a lot of people do call it a race, and I'd imagine they're referring to achieving Personal Bests, rather than actually beating those around you.
    I saw the aftermath of a few bad crashes - it's impossible to know whether they were caused by this 'race' attitude, or any other element. Having said that, there were some people riding outside of their ability and taking big risks, which made them liabilities on the road. Especially on the descents; some of which are tricky and poorly lit due to tree cover. You get riders like that at every sportive, but with the sheer number of riders at the Ride London, they become more dangerous. I'm all for pushing yourself, but putting safety first always. The vast majority of riders were well mannered and courteous.
    After seeing the elite race and some of those roads were also used by the sportive, jeeze you could barely fit 2 bikes on them they were so narrow. I'm surprised there were only 2 bad accidents. I believe there were 23,000 in the sportive.:eek:

Route: The lanes referred to as being too narrow above weren't on the route for the two sportives. They were part of the "Ranmore Common" loop that the pros did a number of times. Having said that, there was one stoppage (entering Kingston Market) where the entire field were halted as the road narrowed through the town of Kingston. I think it was a traffic calming exercise, which possibly prevented accidents, so kudos.

I really enjoyed it again this year, and I'll enter it next year. It's worth it just for the traffic free ride out of London at the crack of dawn.

Advertisement