Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car burst into flames

Options
  • 31-07-2016 6:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone see the car that went on fire on Dublin Rd today near Merlin Park?
    I went past around 1pm and saw the sitting driver stopped in the bus lane trying to do something with the wheel area whilst a wisp of smoke was rising from the bonnet. Then there was an incredible amount of smoke from the bonnet covering the whole area and people stopped to assist. This was within maybe two minutes. I left at that point.

Fire brigade went past me.
    When I went past an hour later the car was mostly a hulk, burnt out, road wet. I assume it must've burst into flames. It was a new looking silver car and the driver was an older gentleman.
    Anyone else see it? What could've happened?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,628 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Was it an Opel Zafira?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I don't know. It was a new silver car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I feel like I saw it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

I was in a car that caught fire

First a wisp of smoke from under the bonnet, but within seconds thick smoke welling into the car.

The locking system clunked shut but luckily by that time I had opened my door.

Those locking systems should be designed to default to "open" rather than lock when wires burn thru'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,442 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Something similar happened outside Taylor's circa'95.
    We all got pints of water and poured them over the car. When we realised we were fighting a losing battle we went back for our drinks and just sat outside and watched it burn.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Small hatchback went on fire outside Brown Thomas early last year, really does take hold frighteningly fast, grabbed extinguishers from BT and some shop nearby.. Hope the person(s) involved today are both ok and covered for the loss..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Another car gone on fire on N6 at Ballybrit this morning

Advertisement