Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarian alternative to cod liver oil

• 31-07-2016 6:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭

Hi,

So my joints are in a bit of a heap and the moment & I can barely move my arms & knees without clicking like mad. I'm going to a personal trainer at the moment & he's recommended cod liver oil.

Can anyone recommend a vegetarian alternative. I've read that flaxseed oil is ok but nit a great alternative. Maybe there's something I could take with it to make it more effective?

Thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭Guess_Who

Thanks a million.
    Just ordered them now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No problem! I've been using them for years, they replaced a stolen order before too so I'd like to recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

I had been taking flaxeed capsules until my massive jar ran out recently, not sure if it worked had never taken fish oils so I wouldn't know :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭seedubya

Perhaps have a look at http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/complementary-and-alternative-medicines/cam-report/complementary-medicines-for-rheumatoid-arthritis/flaxseed-oil.aspx BEFORE starting with this. It's almost certainly of little if any benefit and may increase certain risks.

Fish oils are more beneficial but only in rheumatoid arthritis not any other joint condition.

Finally, a "personal trainer" is not someone to take health advice from - fitness advice, perhaps but not health advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭Mentalmiss

There are advantages to actually taking the flaxseeds themselves instead of just the oil. If you only take the oil you miss the lignans as well as many other benefits. I use a coffee grinder and throw in a large dessert-spoon of flaxseeds every day and grind them up and throw them in a glass of water. Much better for you.

The transfer rate from ALA in flaxseed to EPA/DHA that your body needs is supposed to be atrocious and you would need to eat tonnes of the stuff. Does anybody see different in studies etc? For that reason i get the capsules that are already EPA/DHA so my body has to do nothing but use the good sctuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭Mentalmiss

The transfer rate from ALA in flaxseed to EPA/DHA that your body needs is supposed to be atrocious and you would need to eat tonnes of the stuff. Does anybody see different in studies etc? For that reason i get the capsules that are already EPA/DHA so my body has to do nothing but use the good sctuff.

You could do both to make sure. Flax seed is cheap.

Advertisement