Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Bargain Alerts.

Options
  • 31-07-2016 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I have contacted Blade 3 days ago and have had no reply.

I was banned from the Bargain alerts and want to appeal .

This is the pm's between Blade and myself ,

"
    You have been banned.

Dear jonerkinsella,

You have been banned from Bargain Alerts for one month for Trolling.

This means you are posting in an intentionally provocative fashion in order to gain a reaction from other members. This is disruptive and causes stress to other members.
    We don't want that here.

For more information please refer to the Boards.ie FAQ.

If you wish to appeal this ban you can see details on how to do so here.

Blade "

My response ,

" Wow.

I explained that they where just quick posts as I was busy at the time and the title was what popped up in my saved history.

" This means you are posting in an intentionally provocative fashion in order to gain a reaction from other members. This is disruptive and causes stress to other members.
    We don't want that here. "

Why do you not apply this same logic to members who go into threads on the bargains section just to disrupt the thread and deliberately spam to get the thread closed . This is a very common practice with certain members that for whatever reason do not like a particular thread or the way it is laid out.

Earlier this year I asked that members would post queries and chat in another Amazon queries thread . This thread was closed and we were all informed that chat could stay in the Amazon alerts thread . When ppl that where using the Amazon thread where using the same thread to discuss queries , the thread was closed because there was too much chat and one of the same old gang that just seems to hang around here moaning complained.

I did not start Amazon Bargains thread for vanity , I started it because I thought it would be helpful to ppl who wanted it ,and it was . Like the Tesco , Argos etc . I use these threads more than any other on Bargains .

I posted two genuine bargains up on the bargains page earlier and because I did not post it in a format that a few handbags preferred , I get a ban . Sweet .

You are assuming that I deliberately tried to cause a flame war . I did not. "

Targeted spamming of threads has been going on for quite a while now by certain members on the Bargain section with the aim of having threads shut down for whatever reason.

Thank you for your time.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Hello jonerkinsella,

With Davy a mod of the forum as well as a CMod I'll be the CMod to review this; can you please explain why you posted two threads with very similar title within 10 minutes of each other only containing a link to Amazon without any details of the product, price etc. as is standard?

Adding in that comments such as this:
    Sure I have to do something for the bitches to whine about
    when challenged on it does not exactly help show it as an innocent mistake (compared to simply going back and editing it as can be done for the first 24h).

I've also reached out to Blade and Davy to get more background information on the whole topic (I know there's a Feedback thread on the topic of if there should or should not be Mega threads which last time I checked was in the 50-50 region split on yes/no).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Hi Nody.

The titles posted where " Amazon Bargain alerts " and " Amazon bargain alerts , phone " iirc . In each of these threads was a link posted to Amazon products that where very well priced . I have often posted links before without any specific info on the product as the deals I link to are quick random items that I think are well priced.

" Sure I have to do something for the bitches to whine about " If you where more familiar with the concerted effort of sabotage by certain members on the Bargains section to get rid of mega threads , you would understand this comment more . The same few members can be found time and time again spamming threads so they can then claim that the threads are full of spam and complain about the issue to mods and the feedback thread.

Here is an exchange of pm's between myself and Davy dated 28/04/16 ,

" Originally Posted by jonerkinsella
    Hi.
    Why close the thread ?

I do not understand any rational on closing the thread because of a personal dispute by members that just happen to use the thread to argue. The Amazon thread has been deliberately targeted by spammers so as the pages would be filled with clutter. I can totally understand why some of the members are frustrated with some of the unhelpful comments posted ,but this is a moderation issue and not the threads fault.

I do not understand why the thread has been closed. This is playing into the hands of all the whingers that are just on here to whinge ...and there are many of them on here.

joner. "

" Originally Posted by Davy
    Hello,

Temporary closed for a review to take place and stop the continuing off topic posts. A clean up needed so it will be open shortly when that's done.

Regards "

" Thanks for the clear response.

joner. "

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Hi Nody.

The titles posted where " Amazon Bargain alerts " and " Amazon bargain alerts , phone " iirc . In each of these threads was a link posted to Amazon products that where very well priced . I have often posted links before without any specific info on the product as the deals I link to are quick random items that I think are well priced.
    Close enough on the titles exact titles below only as reference.
    Amazon Bargains alert .
    Amazon Bargains alert .phone.
    You still have not explained why you posted the two threads within 10 minutes of each other while at he same time as Slutmonkey57b was doing the same: are your links using the Amazon associate program?

Nody wrote: »
    Close enough on the titles exact titles below only as reference.

You still have not explained why you posted the two threads within 10 minutes of each other while at he same time as Slutmonkey57b was doing the same: are your links using the Amazon associate program?

?

The original Amazon Alerts thread was closed down last week because there was too much chat . I went on Amazon Bargains page last week and seen two bargains and posted them in separate threads , just like everyone that has been shouting loudest about getting rid of mega threads wants .
    Is this not what has been decided by Mods ?

You need to ask Slutmonkey about the rest as I have no connection with that member. I do not know what this is " Amazon associate program "

Any update ?

• Advertisement

Sorry work has been slapping me around silly (advice for anyone reading; don't become a project leader...). Anyway, I've looked at the history of your posting, spoken with the local mods etc. and honestly I don't believe your claim it was all innocent posting in haste by pure chance.

Here' are some recent examples of your posts in the forum when posting bargains:
    This is a great price for a PS4 ,wireless headset.

I have been using mine without any issues since soon after the launch of the PS4,

Turtle Beach Ear Force PX4 Wireless Headset (PS4)

£50,
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...f_rd_i=desktop
    Tesco Tramore have 3 sandisk 64gb usb 3 extreme speed flash drive sticks from €80 to €20.41 . I bought 2 a few weeks ago when they first went on sale . I regularly transfer files onto mine at 180mbs . Super fast flash drives.

Loads of other deals as well.
    Very nice tap.

2 half hrs left.

Auralum® Single Lever Morden 3 Inlet Pipes Brass Chroming Kitchen Sink Tap

£30 ,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B017JR7I...0CN83CPH9AP9EH
    Toblerone 400g fruit and nut €1.68.

Yumm.
    This looks like a nice duel sim phone (its a shame that so many user reviews are spammed with the " I received this as a free item to write an unbiased review " and the likes crap )

€130 through Parcel Motel / Parcel Wizard.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B011WO2G...D2QP01V9G9T2YW
    I could go on but in short you don't post only a link and you don't spam them out all in one go. The Amazon mega thread was locked two days earlier and you're quite passionate about it so yes I do think you were trying to make a point and in the wrong way; having said that I don't believe your actions justifies a 1 month ban. Personally I'd been inclined on a week or less but at this point it does not really matter as a week has gone by anyway and hence should be lifted. In regards to mega threads to be or not to be and people spamming them intentionally I'm afraid that's something you'll need to discuss with the forum mods directly as the DRP does not cover these areas of moderation (I'd recommend the existing feedback thread in the Feedback forum as a starting point).

At this point you have a decision on your hand, you can accept my decision (even if you may disagree with my opinion or conclusion) or you can request an admin for a second review which will come to their own opinion on the matter. Due to the fact the DRP is over a 1 month ban I can't lift the ban until the DRP is resolved even if I don't agree with the current duration; hence if you ask for an admin review this means the ban will be in place until their review is complete. This is not intended as a threat against admin review but simply to explain the situation overall and why the ban would not be lifted before the admin review is complete (as their final call would decide the duration rather than my opinion at that stage).

Thanks for the reply Nody.

To clear up then... are you saying that the ban will be lifted today if I do not request an Admin look at the case ? . If so , then I'll accept your judgment and not take it any further .

Thanks.

Correct jonerkinsella; I've lifted your ban as of this post.

Admins please mark this one as resolved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement