Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord never heard of reference letter

Options
  • 31-07-2016 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

I'm recently going to be moving back to Dublin, and I'm in the depths of the accommodation search. I've lived in Wales for the last year, and so went to my current landlord for a reference letter.

He told me he had never heard of such a thing, and to stop wasting his time. When I tried to explain it to him I got no response.

Is there any other solution I can get, because with no LL reference I can pretty much say goodbye to any thought of moving anywhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

He is taking the piss ! Tell him if he refuses you will ask revenue in the Uk for the details of your tenancy thru his tax paid on the rent ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

bmm wrote: »
    He is taking the piss ! Tell him if he refuses you will ask revenue in the Uk for the details of your tenancy thru his tax paid on the rent ;-)

Now that is a good one. Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

I'm recently going to be moving back to Dublin, and I'm in the depths of the accommodation search. I've lived in Wales for the last year, and so went to my current landlord for a reference letter.

He told me he had never heard of such a thing, and to stop wasting his time. When I tried to explain it to him I got no response.

Is there any other solution I can get, because with no LL reference I can pretty much say goodbye to any thought of moving anywhere.

Type one up for him and ask him to sign it. Basic info he can't disagree with, dates, X paid his rent on time and looked after the property.

If not, then maybe rely on employer ref.,provide bank statements or pay slips or offer to pay first and last months rent in advance to secure it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Firstly Revenue will tell you to pee off, they won't give details of the LLs tax affairs. Secondly Revenue would have no details specifically relating to the op's tenancy and thirdly it's none of your business. Why would the LL be in any way worried by such a threat?

Op, you are not entitled to a reference, it's a courtesy. Unfortunately this LL doesn't want to give it do you just have to move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

I've never actually provided a ref from a previous landlord, just work. So you may find it's not a problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

I have a viewing tomorrow, and this landlord has told me the reason the room is open for viewing is the potential tenant's references fell through, so I'm just trying to cover all angles in case I end up taking the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Rubbish.

Written references aren't worth the toilet paper they are forged onto.

OP, as him if you can give his name / number of prospective landlord who want to confirm that you were a good tenant. This is what a real reference is.

Advertisement