Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Non - Catholic Wedding = Unhappy Catholic Parents

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

How do you know? Why are you certain?
    Grew up da club, have the badge. That's enough for me. If you have doubts go talk to a bishop if they're not too busy monitoring grinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

The part in humanist ceremonies where spirits are invited perhaps.....

Earlier on someone mentioned the "pagan stuff" and then complained about Rcc ceremonies.

Humanism has existed long before the last 10 years and it doesn't just exist for ex-private Catholic school hipsters to jump on to appear as "rebels".

The worst thing is the attention seeking atheist wannabes who think they're suddenly Humanists. They certainly shouldn't be having Humanist ceremonies and complaining about religious ones.

Wow. That's a lot of anger and ignorance. I've been to a few humanist weddings by now and my experience doesn't gel with yours.

The participants in the humanist weddings that I went to did so because they wanted an event on a Saturday that was about them instead of a deity that they don't believe in. They didn't want a priest rambling on about God and His part in their marriage - it's downright creepy.

These brides and grooms didn't join any Humanist organisations. They had them perform the ceremony because they're a welcoming bunch and basically let you do whatever you want with the wedding.

And to be perfectly honest, I though the weddings were great. The music during the ceremony was far better, the readings were unique and there was no mention of turning the marriage into a spitroast.

I'm guessing that your judgement is being clouded by something personal because that amount of hatered for something you clearly know little about is unnatural.

• Administrators Posts: 14,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I've heard quite a few conversations recently from both parents and elderly relatives of people who have not had church weddings, and without exception the verdict at the end end of the day was "It was lovely". The usual "no church, didn't know what to expect, it was lovely, very personal, if I had my day again etc etc"

Do your day, your way. You'll never please everyone, so you're better off at least pleasing yourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

catbear wrote: »
    Grew up da club, have the badge. That's enough for me. If you have doubts go talk to a bishop if they're not too busy monitoring grinder.

Monitoring. I was just using that account to, ahem, monitor it.

OP it's your wedding, do whatever you like!

We had a civil ceremony and although no one cared, we wouldn't have bowed to any religious pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I had a civil wedding in a registry office and the next day we had a blessing in the hotel by a priest. Im atheist and my wife considers herself catholic both our sets of parents were fine with it and the only dissenting voices were my wives mothers friend who is a staunch church goer and slyly suggested that my mother in law was upset about not doing a church but we knew she was just a lying **** and my auntie who is a nun she went up to the priest after and asked him why he done a blessing like that and he just told her that its what we wanted and who was he push something on us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Giacomo McGubbin

I wouldn't fall out with them about it, be as civil as possible, and just tell them that you have no interest in religion, and it would be hypocritical for you to have a church wedding. If you keep it as civil and polite as possible, they will come round and agree to disagree in the end, and go with your wishes. And it will be a grand wedding.

Parents in this situation initially panic, because the penny finally drops, that they are the generation that has utterly failed in their duty to pass on the faith and spirituality that dozens of their preceding family generations suffered great hardship to preserve and pass on. Mere spiritualess cultural Catholicism doesn't cut it. They are not entirely to blame, the conduct of a great many at the management levels in the Irish Church has also been an abomination. They were anything by Catholic, and taught anything but Catholicism by both word and deed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

Have whatever ever type of wedding day you both want.

I can't understand this crack of two weddings for the same couple. Why not have 3 or 4, just to maximise it?

Smondie wrote: »

I can't understand this crack of two weddings for the same couple. Why not have 3 or 4, just to maximise it?

If thats about mine we had registry office on a friday with just parents and groomsmen and bridesmaids followed by lunch because when I got married you couldn't get a solemniser on a saturday to do the legal stuff and we had what we considered our wedding on the saturday as we wanted to celebrate with our friends but not inconvenience them with taking days off work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

We're going for a Civil Ceremony in 6 weeks and there was never any objection to not going the church route, despite there being quite present Catholicism on both sides (more traditional superstition than blind faith).
    I recently got the words for the ceremony sent to me and I cried when I read them - legal or not, they are very well worded to indicate the seriousness of the occasion and I found the words very deep and meaningful. Many people I know who were skeptical and had been to them have all agreed that they were much more romantic than a church wedding and were delighted to be out for drinks in 15 minutes :o

Hopefully things work out, but stick your ground. Mammies tend to throw around the "Big Threats" in the hopes that you will fear them enough to comply, but very few parents would happily deal with the lifelong shame of refusing to attend their child's marriage over unacceptance of their beliefs or lack thereof.

• Advertisement

salmocab wrote: »

If thats about mine we had registry office on a friday with just parents and groomsmen and bridesmaids followed by lunch because when I got married you couldn't get a solemniser on a saturday to do the legal stuff and we had what we considered our wedding on the saturday as we wanted to celebrate with our friends but not inconvenience them with taking days off work.
    it wasn't specifically about you, it's a growing trend.
    I'd suggest having another on the Sunday for the hattrick. Wether you consider it or not to be your wedding on the Saturday, it wasn't. You consider the religious cermony the your actual wedding so what was the point of having the civil one the day before? Everything could have been done one the sat.

Everything could have been done one the sat.

No it couldn't have as when I got married you could only have weddings on saturdays in churches as no one else could do the legal bit and we didn't want a church wedding

No it couldn't have as when I got married you could only have weddings on saturdays in churches as no one else could do the legal bit and we didn't want a church wedding
    But the blessing by the priest is the one you said you consider your actual wedding day? So what was Friday about? Priests marry on a Saturday...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

No point having a wedding if theres no priest, no cross, no prayers, no gospel, no exchanging of rings and last but not least no kissing. Otherwise the sense of achievement isn't there!! :D

All rights and reserves belong to Christianity.
    K Bye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Placid_Casual

Earlier on someone mentioned the "pagan stuff" and then complained about Rcc ceremonies.

Humanism has existed long before the last 10 years and it doesn't just exist for ex-private Catholic school hipsters to jump on to appear as "rebels".

The worst thing is the attention seeking atheist wannabes who think they're suddenly Humanists. They certainly shouldn't be having Humanist ceremonies and complaining about religious ones.

I think you're getting confused with Spiritualist ceremonies, which are something completely different.

But the blessing by the priest is the one you said you consider your actual wedding day? So what was Friday about? Priests marry on a Saturday...?

The friday was about being legally married we only had a blessing by the priest not a wedding ceremony as it was in a hotel not a church where the priest couldn't of married us as it wouldn't be legal

• Advertisement

Fair enough. To me it just smacks of attention seeking but each to thier own. I'd say the best man and bridesmaid were delighted. Same **** different day and all that. And now to consider the blessing as the real wedding day is ironic

Fair enough. To me it just smacks of attention seeking but each to thier own. I'd say the best man and bridesmaid were delighted. Same **** different day and all that.

attention seeking bringing 8 people to a government office and out for lunch? we set up our day to inconvenience as few people as possible by having it on a saturday and in one location.

Fair enough. To me it just smacks of attention seeking but each to thier own. I'd say the best man and bridesmaid were delighted. Same **** different day and all that.

attention seeking bringing 8 people to a government office and out for lunch? we set up our day to inconvenience as few people as possible by having it on a saturday and in one location.
    No the whole, i'm an atheist and want a civil cermony but the priests blessing was my real wedding day type of stuff.

No the whole, i'm an atheist and want a civil cermony but the priests blessing was my real wedding day type of stuff.

Well my wife is catholic so surely the opposite would be true of her?
    Anyway I'm done here as this is dragging this way off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Honest to God, they sound like horrible, selfish people. My own mother is part of the God brigade and all, the idea of her interfering in our lives and FORCING her beliefs on me or my husband is shocking. She'd never do such a thing, out of respect for my independence and freedom to choose my own beliefs. I couldn't even imagine her TRYING to make ANY of my life choices. Your mother saying she wouldn't attend your wedding is a heap of rubbish I'd say.

Call her bluff - Don't even make a big thing of it, just tell her it's already all organised now and you'd love her to come but if she doesn't, you understand (that a magical pretend man in the sky is more important than her real-life, tangible child who she pushed literally out of her womb).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭HIB

Have the day your way. You've broached the issue now and if you cave on it, you'll be fighting other battles ....not just baptisms, but children attending mass also.

While I can really empathise with your feelings of hurt at the manner in which you are being treated, in the end the most important thing at stake here is you and your fiancees relationship. Keep calm, stick to your guns, but above all else, stay united, and try not to allow your relationship to be compromised by the inevitable friction this will cause. You love each other...you believe in your future together, and no-one, least of all bickering in laws have a right to jeopardise that in any way. They might come round, they might not.....who knows... Keep your eyes on the prize and hold on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

humanism is generally atheist, not anti-theist, as far as i understood. so doesn't set out to prove catholicism wrong, for example.

Agreed. My point is that it's an atheist philosophy.

Given that your never one to shy away from adopting an atheist position in any debate, I'm very surprised that you would be willing to include either of these as true humanism and argue in their favour but I suspect you know different..

The Humanist Association of Ireland is Atheist. Humanism in it's true form today, is atheist.

The humanist celebrants in Ireland must be must be members of HAI for at least 2 years before applying for the role. They are accredited by HAI and therefore you can be certain that they too are atheist.

And so while people are perfectly entitled to follow whatever trend, fad or fashion they wish, others are equally entitled to point out the glaring inconsistencies in the fact that in many cases they've dropped one option because it's inconsistent with their beliefs, for another option that's equally inconsistent with their beliefs.

As an aside, i've attended all 3 forms of wedding ceremony and my favourite by a mile was the civil. No nonsense, just cut to the chase and get the job done. The humanist ceremonies i've attended appeared to try very hard to look like a religious ceremony, just without the mention of God. One of them was even in a church like building :confused: But the civil ceremonies i've just cut through all that with just enough ceremony and minimum of fuss.

OP - Regardless of your reasons, it's your day and you should ultimately do what suits both you and your partner. I don't necessarily agree that parents opinions don't matter and every effort should be made to include them but sometimes we just have to do it our way anyway and feck everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hi OP,

Went through the same ourselves my own mother was extra hilarious with a side order of fries on top.

She would always bring it up nearly right up to the day despite her going to mass about once a year.

I just made a laugh of it and basically ignored the nonsense.

On the day when's all said and done she bawled her eyes during the ceremony and afterwards was raging about how beautiful it was there wasn't a dry eyed aunt in the room and some uncles too.

All I was told afterwards was 'thats the future it was so beautiful and personal'

So I say just go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 crumble_15

OP, myself and my partner are currently going through the exact same thing. Thankfully his side of the family are totally on board and are only happy for us. My side, not so much. Have gotten the silent treatment from my overly devout mother since telling her and she's only spoken to me to tell me how disappointed she is in me! Not a word about what we're doing, she's only concerned with the religion side of things. My brother has now gotten onboard with her and is saying we should give in to please her, etc etc. This, of course, has made my partner and I incredibly upset. We aren't doing this out of malice, to hurt feelings, to rock the boat, we're doing it because this is what we want! If I'm honest, it has changed my opinion of them quite a bit.

So, what do we do? I think it's at times like these that you and your partner need to be strong and maintain your stand - as others have said, call their bluff.

crumble_15 wrote: »
    Not a word about what we're doing, she's only concerned with the religion side of things. My brother has now gotten onboard with her and is saying we should give in to please her, etc etc.

So the religious want the non religious to "give in" to please them. Not a very christian attitude is it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Not a very christian attitude is it?
    At the risk of pointing out an uncomfortable truth, christianity (like all religions) is all about acquiring more believers and all about preserving respect for the religion and its believers. As such, using social pressure to force people to take part in religious ceremonies is truly christian.

robindch wrote: »
    At the risk of pointing out an uncomfortable truth, christianity (like all religions) is all about acquiring more believers and all about preserving respect for the religion and its believers. As such, using social pressure to force people to take part in religious ceremonies is truly christian.

Glad Im not Christian.

I would see it as immoral to cause your child upset by behaving this way over their wedding.

With respect, that's complete nonsense.

Parents who adopt this approach do so for all sorts of reasons.

Disappointment, ignorance, fear, arrogance and a whole host of other negative reasons...

But in each and every case it is the individual that behaves this way, not the church.

For every Christian parent that adopts this approach there are countless others who don't.

Glad Im not Christian.

I would see it as immoral to cause your child upset by behaving this way over their wedding.

So would most Christians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Originaly we were getting married in a church , just so my Fiances Grnny could be part of the day as she cant travel very far and the Church is directly opposite her house , however as soon as she told us she would be attending we ditched the church.

I'm from an atheist family anyway , though given it was the 90's we were baptised etc to keep the nanas sweet , so my folks were happy out i have one aunt whose a bit miffed as shes a card carrying member of the God Squad and my OH has a few family members who are a bit off about incl her sister and her sisters partner (her ma was a single mother and nearly chucked in a laundry so no love lost there for old JC and the RCC)

To be honest i was absolutely delighted that were geeting to have a Humanist cermony that we can totaly customise ourselves , i wasnt keen on the catholic template tbh , it just woulda felt like i was saying a bunch of crap i didnt meen and im totaly uncomfortable in churchs anyway know none of the prayers dont get communion etc when at funerals etc

were tying some slight celtic tradition because were both big into that into ours with any spirituality or the like. If that makes me a hipster so be it , couldnt give a short on. go for it OP if your not into the Jebus BS then your way better off doing it your way making it personal and meaningful to you

Swanner wrote: »
    Disappointment, ignorance, fear, arrogance and a whole host of other negative reasons...
    Yes, that's the result of the church's sermonizing.

On the other hand, the reason it's like this is what I said above - christianity is a religion whose primary (and probably only) interest is propagating itself. As such, the religion has evolved a series of social strategies which are good at ensuring its success. Social pressure is one of these strategies. Getting kids early, while they're still naive and trusting, is important as well, so the churches also seek control of schools and school curriculums. And getting people when they're weak/down is important too - hence the control of hospitals and frequent interest in prisons. And so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭volchitsa

toptom wrote: »
    Maybe the poor woman has just had enough of the tomfoolery and disrespect given to the church nowadays.

What sort of disrespect do you have in mind? Covering up for sex abusers and swearing children to secrecy about their abuse would come to my mind. There certainly is matter to cry about there, isn't there? Is that the sort of thing you meant?

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

Yes, that's the result of the church's sermonizing.

No it's not. It's the result of ignorant parents who don't know any better.

If it was as you say, the majority of Christian parents would act this way. But they don't.

As for Christianity wishing to propogate itself ? You can say that about anything. Let's swap Christianity for cycling....
    At the risk of pointing out an uncomfortable truth, cycling (like all sports) is all about acquiring more cyclists and all about preserving respect for the sport and its followers.

See. It still works.

Atheism equally tries to propogate itself and why wouldn't it ?
    As such, using social pressure to force people to take part in religious ceremonies is truly christian.

This is just not true. Nobody can be forced into anything against their will. In fact, trying to do so would just have the opposite effect as we so often see on here.

Listen i'm not religious and i'm as critical as the next person when it comes to all things religion but it's important not to let your bias skew your views too far in the other direction as your position loses any weight and the real message gets lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Given that your never one to shy away from adopting an atheist position in any debate,

I'd love to know how you think this sort of statement adds anything useful whatsoever to your points.
    I'm very surprised that you would be willing to include either of these as true humanism and argue in their favour but I suspect you know different..

I neither know nor care what "true" humanism is supposed to be - the very idea indicates a theistic mindset, that any philosophy can be "true" and therefore others false.
    It's more rational to take a 'pick'n'mix' approach - yes even some religions have some good ideas, the problem with them all is the substantial baggage of bad ideas that go along with the good, and the requirement to believe in unevidenced deity/ies.
    I don't particularly identify as a humanist, but there are some good ideas in there. There are some woo-ish ideas creeping in there among some adherents of it too.

The Humanist Association of Ireland is Atheist.

I'm not a member so you'd have to ask them. Not everyone with no theistic belief identifies as an atheist.
    The humanist celebrants in Ireland must be must be members of HAI for at least 2 years before applying for the role. They are accredited by HAI and therefore you can be certain that they too are atheist.

How can anyone prove to the HAI they are an atheist? What if the HAI suspects that one of their celebrants is starting to believe a little bit in one or more gods, can they investigate and strike them off??
    The idea is ridiculous. You simply have to take a person at their word when they state their belief or unbelief. The RC church cannot prove a priest has lost his faith if he doesn't tell anyone - if he carries out all his activities and ceremonies as he did before then he keeps his job indefinitely. Similarly the HAI cannot really know (and probably don't care) what a celebrant's private beliefs might be provided they carry out ceremonies in the manner set out by them.
    And so while people are perfectly entitled to follow whatever trend, fad or fashion they wish, others are equally entitled to point out the glaring inconsistencies in the fact that in many cases they've dropped one option because it's inconsistent with their beliefs, for another option that's equally inconsistent with their beliefs.

How's that? Do all ex-catholics become atheists? Are you claiming that humanist ceremonies are incompatible with atheism? At least as the HAI carry them out, they are not.
    The humanist ceremonies i've attended appeared to try very hard to look like a religious ceremony, just without the mention of God. One of them was even in a church like building :confused:

I've attended a civil wedding which was in a church! A private chapel in a castle which is now a hotel (where the reception was held - very handy!) Celebrant was from the HSE, who was fine with the venue provided the stained glass windows and statues were covered over with drapes. No religious music allowed either, but that's the same at the HSE's own venues (for our wedding we used the Ramones.)

What was it about the humanist ceremonies which, in your opinion, made them 'look religious' ? Bear in mind the form of the ceremony is very largely up to the couple concerned and the celebrant is unlikely to have an issue using any wording the couple prefer provided it is not explicitly religious.

Were these couples divorced and prohibited from marrying in a church, but would have preferred to?

Scrap the cap!

I'd love to know how you think this sort of statement adds anything useful whatsoever to your points.

I meant nothing bad by it. I'm just used to seeing you debate from an atheistic view point. I was surprised to see you support the concept of diluting humanism with theism. That was all.
    I neither know nor care what "true" humanism is supposed to be - the very idea indicates a theistic mindset, that any philosophy can be "true" and therefore others false.
    It's more rational to take a 'pick'n'mix' approach - yes even some religions have some good ideas, the problem with them all is the substantial baggage of bad ideas that go along with the good, and the requirement to believe in unevidenced deity/ies.

Fair enough. We're agreed.
    I don't particularly identify as a humanist, but there are some good ideas in there. There are some woo-ish ideas creeping in there among some adherents of it too.

Absolutely. So again we're in agreement. But as I said, I was surprised to see you make the point in favour of the theistic element creeping in. On that point we diverge a little. But it is what it is and people are free to adopt and change whatever they want.
    I'm not a member so you'd have to ask them.

Well instead of asking them we can just consult their website...

"It is for people who base their interpretation of existence on the evidence of the natural world and its evolution, and not on belief in the supernatural (theistic god, miracles, afterlife, revealed morality etc.)."

We can go backwards and forwards on this all day. Yes there are diluted versions of humanism out there. But the humanism we're discussing in relation to weddings in Ireland, is absolutely atheist in it's philosophy.
    How can anyone prove to the HAI they are an atheist? What if the HAI suspects that one of their celebrants is starting to believe a little bit in one or more gods, can they investigate and strike them off??
    The idea is ridiculous. You simply have to take a person at their word when they state their belief or unbelief. The RC church cannot prove a priest has lost his faith if he doesn't tell anyone - if he carries out all his activities and ceremonies as he did before then he keeps his job indefinitely. Similarly the HAI cannot really know (and probably don't care) what a celebrant's private beliefs might be provided they carry out ceremonies in the manner set out by them.

:confused::confused::confused:

I have no idea what point your making here. Either way, i have no disagreement with you on any of it.
    How's that? Do all ex-catholics become atheists? Are you claiming that humanist ceremonies are incompatible with atheism? At least as the HAI carry them out, they are not.

No. I'm saying humanism has a particular view point and philosophy. As does the RC Church. People are turning away from the RC church in their droves and opting for a Humanist wedding instead. I'm suggesting that a significant number of these people, would also have an issue with the humanist view point if they actually thought about it. But they don't because Humanism is the new buzz word and so they just blindly follow. The option for a humanist wedding has always been there but people only started opting for it when it became popular and convenient. That's all i was saying.
    I've attended a civil wedding which was in a church! A private chapel in a castle which is now a hotel (where the reception was held - very handy!) Celebrant was from the HSE, who was fine with the venue provided the stained glass windows and statues were covered over with drapes. No religious music allowed either, but that's the same at the HSE's own venues (for our wedding we used the Ramones.)

Great choice. We went for a more homegrown theme. Hot House Flowers, Van Morrison, The Furey's, Liam Clancy, and a few others... :)
    What was it about the humanist ceremonies which, in your opinion, made them 'look religious' ? Bear in mind the form of the ceremony is very largely up to the couple concerned and the celebrant is unlikely to have an issue using any wording the couple prefer provided it is not explicitly religious.

It's difficult to put a finger on it. All i can say is that the humanist ceremonies didn't feel much different. Maybe because we were sat in church seats with stained glass windows, maybe it was the flowers and white dresses. I don't know. But the civil ceremony definitely felt secular whereas the humanist didn't. I've only been to a couple though and i'm sure they are wide and varied.
    Were these couples divorced and prohibited from marrying in a church, but would have preferred to?

No. All starrey eyed loved up first timers just like ourselves at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

No. I'm saying humanism has a particular view point and philosophy. As does the RC Church. People are turning away from the RC church in their droves and opting for a Humanist wedding instead. I'm suggesting that a significant number of these people, would also have an issue with the humanist view point if they actually thought about it. But they don't because Humanism is the new buzz word and so they just blindly follow. The option for a humanist wedding has always been there but people only started opting for it when it became popular and convenient. That's all i was saying.

It's difficult to put a finger on it. All i can say is that the humanist ceremonies didn't feel much different. Maybe because we were sat in church seats with stained glass windows, maybe it was the flowers and white dresses. I don't know. But the civil ceremony definitely felt secular whereas the humanist didn't. I've only been to a couple though and i'm sure they are wide and varied.

I've done a good bit of research in the last few weeks on HUmanism , as we are now having a humanist wedding , to be hosest if found very little theism in it its all based around science , logic and human rights etc ... no crazy rules about what you can eat when , contraception , morality etc. not really sure how one could be a practicing Humanist to be honest , not like there is humanist mass to attend or that like

I've been to two registry office weddings and found them just a bit impersonal very quick and the registry offices arnt the nicest , we were considering just getting a registrar but the hotel were getting married in isnt one of their venues at that point the humanist ceremony was way more favorable to us then a registry office like.

The main bits i disagreed with with the church wedding was all the reference to god , commiting to raise kids as catholics the religious readings and music etc , no issue with the flowers the white dress the rings all of that jazz

i think people are getting too hung up on comparing humanism and catholicism when really what's important in our era is what suits peoples personal needs the most.

Now today a wedding is a public affirmation of what already is, there's nothing stopping people living like they're married without ever getting officially hitched. I know a good few couple with kids who never got married and they're happily getting on with it.

No it's not. It's the result of ignorant parents who don't know any better.
    And the reason that the parents are that way is because of what the church says.
    If it was as you say, the majority of Christian parents would act this way. But they don't.
    I think that's open to debate.
    As for Christianity wishing to propogate itself? You can say that about anything. Let's swap Christianity for cycling.
    The difference being that christianity exists - as I said above - primarily to propagate and not for any other reason. Which is why they attempt to control schools and similar organizations and spend hours and hours telling people to "spread the good news" and "live" christianity all the time.

Cycling on the other hand is just a fun activity and in comparison to the amount of time spent in the saddle, the amount of time which cyclists spend trying to get other people cycling is to all intents and purposes non-existent. Same with most other activities. Religion is different - it's just about propagation. That's why it's often referred to as a selfish meme - one which is interested in itself above everything else.
    Atheism equally tries to propogate itself
    Not really - I've seen a few people from Atheist Ireland on the occasional Saturday up on O'Connell street and that's about it. In comparison to the number of atheists in the country, the effort put in is miniscule.
    This is just not true. Nobody can be forced into anything against their will. In fact, trying to do so would just have the opposite effect as we so often see on here.
    Not at all - lots of people have been forced to do things against their will - it might make them angry, upset or bloody minded, but it still happens.
    Listen i'm not religious and i'm as critical as the next person when it comes to all things religion but it's important not to let your bias skew your views too far in the other direction as your position loses any weight and the real message gets lost.
    No need to go calling me or anybody else "biased". I'm describing what happens in the real world and how religion works in practice. Not everybody sees this or accepts it when they do - it happens quite often that people ignore reality and say instead that the people explaining reality are unhelpful in some sense (remember, for example, how the Leave side in the Brexit debate reacted to just about everybody who pointed out the downside of leaving?) But that negative response still doesn't detract from the fact that this is how religion operates out there in the real world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

You said earlier
    "One thing is certain with an RCC service, the church comes first, the couple second."

I asked in what way do the couple come second? In fact they're the whole centre of attention.

So you just made it up to have a go at people who just prefer more traditional weddings, and then acted petulantly. Ah well.

So the majority of Christian parents will fall out with their children and refuse to attend the ceremony should they decide to have a secular wedding

You are very very wrong.
    No need to go calling me or anybody else "biased".

I'm not calling anyone else biased. Just you. And as long as you continue to express the view above, I have no option but to view you as biased. On the upside, it saves me having to respond to your entire post as there's just no point.
    I'm describing what happens in the real world and how religion works in practice. Not everybody sees this or accepts it when they do - it happens quite often that people ignore reality and say instead that the people explaining reality are unhelpful in some sense But that negative response still doesn't detract from the fact that this is how religion operates out there in the real world.

In YOUR world maybe...

I'm neither Christian nor religious so I have no reason to defend either. I try and view them objectively and am well aware of all the issues. The thing is, i agree with you on a basic level and I get why you feel the way you do, but your hatred of religion has colored your overall view to such an extent that you have no problem writing off the majority of Christian parents in the way you just have above.

That kind of extreme view leaves no room for any kind of rational discussion so there's no point in me responding any further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Wow. That's a lot of anger and ignorance. I've been to a few humanist weddings by now and my experience doesn't gel with yours.

The participants in the humanist weddings that I went to did so because they wanted an event on a Saturday that was about them instead of a deity that they don't believe in. They didn't want a priest rambling on about God and His part in their marriage - it's downright creepy.

These brides and grooms didn't join any Humanist organisations. They had them perform the ceremony because they're a welcoming bunch and basically let you do whatever you want with the wedding.

And to be perfectly honest, I though the weddings were great. The music during the ceremony was far better, the readings were unique and there was no mention of turning the marriage into a spitroast.

I'm guessing that your judgement is being clouded by something personal because that amount of hatered for something you clearly know little about is unnatural.

See that's were you're wrong. A lot of people stumble into these things, spiritual ministers carry out the ceremonies I've been involved in - which were lovely by the way - but now they've been highjacked by the likes of

"the music at the ceremony was far better"

"the readings were unique"

and a general inferiority complex about Catholic weddings evident by your stereotyping. Who are you trying to convince? You obviously have a chip in your shoulder.

I actually like Humanist ceremonies and feel they aren't just for those who think they're too good for civil ceremonies and too trendy to not be whinging about Catholics.

Most of ye should be getting civil ceremonies.

I'm neither Christian nor religious so I have no reason to defend either. I try and view them objectively and am well aware of all the issues. The thing is, i agree with you on a basic level and I get why you feel the way you do, but your hatred of religion has colored your overall view to such an extent that you have no problem writing off the majority of Christian parents in the way you just have above.
    You've missed the point of what I was writing about by perhaps a thousand country miles - I'm trying to having a peaceful discussion about how religion works in general terms, while you're telling me, in increasingly heated terms, about my feelings. Do you know me personally, and if not, how on earth do you know what I feel? :rolleyes:

Anyhow, it's best to drop the topic if you're not interested in discussing it peacefully.

You said earlier
    "One thing is certain with an RCC service, the church comes first, the couple second."

I asked in what way do the couple come second? In fact they're the whole centre of attention.

So you just made it up to have a go at people who just prefer more traditional weddings, and then acted petulantly. Ah well.
    Go ask a bishop.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

Myself and my fiancée have recently got engaged after five years together and are planning a non-religious ceremony. We were both raised as Catholics in the West of Ireland by Catholic parents. Growing up and making up our own minds separately we have both become disillusioned with the Catholic Church and we do not feel it reflects our beliefs.

I am so hurt by their reaction and I am now finding it difficult to be excited about marrying the love of my life. It feels as if the two of the people who are supposed to care the most about us are choosing religion over their children.

This has got to be happening more and more in Ireland and I am wondering if anyone is experiencing this same hurtful reaction. Has anyone got any advice for this difficult time?

Hi OP,

Sorry to hear that. My fiance and I are having a humanist ceremony. (Apparently because we are hypocritical, hipster, bearded self-loathing closet Catholic monster Nazis, or some incoherent nonsense)

Her mother, who is quite a devout Catholic, is really supportive of it, and other members of our family have been the same.

If you're from a more traditional community, they might just need some time getting used to the idea. Hopefully they'll come around.

Best of luck.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You said earlier

The mass is the main part of a church wedding, the mass is to praise jesus/god. As is the communion. Its not about the couple.

The part about the couple makes up only a tiny part of the overall event, this is why the do religious readings about god/jesus and not tell stories or read poem composed or chosen by the the couple.

I've been to civil marriages that are far far more personal then any church weddings I've been at, poems written by the bride, songs composed by the groom and people telling stories about their lifes.

Outside of readings the only person that really speaks at a church wedding is the priest, in the vast majority of cases the priest does not know the couple very well and so its not personal,

More often then not the priest will try give some "general" moral teaching or lecture and in one case I've witness use it to beat the dead horse that is "marriage is only for a man and women".

Cabaal wrote: »

Outside of readings the only person that really speaks at a church wedding is the priest, in the vast majority of cases the priest does not know the couple very well and so its not personal,
    I was at one traditional wedding where the priest went on a tirade in his sermon on whatever issue was up for referendum at the time. you could feel the whole happy mood seep away into the cracks in the floor. Actually I think the bride was in tears with anger afterwards.

As I said, it's not her gig, it's the churches.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I was at one traditional wedding where the priest went on a tirade in his sermon on whatever issue was up for referendum at the time. you could feel the whole happy mood seep away into the cracks in the floor. Actually I think the bride was in tears with anger afterwards.

As I said, it's not her gig, it's the churches.

Indeed it is,
    I know of another couple who were flat out told they could not use non-religious or non traditional music during their wedding ceremony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

I've been to two weddings this year: a civil ceremony and a humanist ceremony. I didn't notice any difference between the civil wedding and the humanist wedding to be honest, the humanist wedding certainly wasn't the new-age hippy type of thing that some people expect them to be! Before that my only experience of weddings was the traditional church wedding (both Catholic and Protestant).

The two weddings I attended this year were by far more personal towards the bride and groom, and the atmosphere was so much more relaxed than a traditional church setting too. I preferred them to church weddings and so did the bride and groom, obviously.

I wonder if those family members who are opposed to having a humanist ceremony could actually witness such a ceremony beforehand, it would help convince them that such ceremonies are just as beautiful and happy occasions as a church wedding.

The wedding day should be all about the wishes of those getting married. Hopefully the families can realise this and support the happy couple and enjoy the whole experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Hi OP. Weddings are an incredibly competitive event for many people. They see their own worth and social standing as being affected by the big day. Thus they expect to almost take over the preparations and minute details of the day.
    Bragging rights and one-up-man-ship come into the equation as well, as this seems to be how many (mainly female) of the older generation relate to each other.
    Lay down the law, do your own thing and be happy. The only concession you need to make is tell the Mammies what colour the bridesmaids will be wearing, so they can buy a hat/outfit to suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Has anyone got any advice for this difficult time?

I am not sure what advice is possible. You have two people ignorantly acting like your wedding day is somehow THEIR day and should pander to them and their wishes. They have lost sight of the fact that it is YOUR day and it needs to reflect YOU and your life and personality and desires and most of all the relationship you are formalizing in union.

The two mothers in question simply have to get over it. And over themselves. And I would not pussyfoot around making that blatantly clear to them albeit in the most polite and cordial ways possible.
    The difference is civil ceremonies are for people who just want to be married. Humanist ones are for fad followers who make childish snide remarks about symbolic age-old Catholic ceremonies.....

I think I will let people who want such ceremonies to tell us why they want them.... rather than have you simply make it up on their behalf just so you can be snide.

Yes some people want to "just be married". But some people want a ceremony. They want their family and friends there. They want to declare their love openly in front of others rather than in a back room signing a piece of paper. They want to make vows that are actually heard and witnessed by more than just each other.

And there is NOTHING whatsoever wrong with any of that. Certainly not solely because you are full of hate for them simply for wanting it.

Actually only one couple I know ever ended up considering a humanist wedding as a reaction against a catholic one. It was an atheist and a pretty strong catholic. The latter REALLY wanted a church wedding in her own parish church. So they went along to meet the priest about it in his church on the clontarf sea front.

The priest basically told them that since himself never went to church or attended prayer he would not consider to marry them on religious and moral grounds........... unless.... cough cough ahem ahem wink wink nudge nudge.... palm out.... say no more say no more.

At which point despite her dedication to that church she told him exactly what she thought of him, they walked out, and after long considerations of other ceremonies they could have.... they decided the flexibility and openness and ability to personalize it made a humanist wedding the best choice for them.

And not a money grabbing self-serving opportunist did they find when organizing it either. And in the end she openly said the ceremony was more personal to her, and represented her more, than anything she would have had from her own church and she could not have been happier with it.
    I hate to break it to you and the O P but Humanist ceremonies are the whole Church ceremony!

I have been to many of each and there were very few similarities at all. And there was nothing in the humanist ceremony that was talking about unsubstantiated myths or fairy tales in it.

So I am not sure exactly what points of comparison you are using to declare them both identical. Seating arrangements perhaps? They were quite identical, given than you know people sat in rows all facing the front.... but that hardly seems relevant.
    Are they even practicing humanists?.... Of course not!

I did not realize you knew the couple personally to be able to tell us what they practice or not? Where are you getting your information or..... heaven forbid..... are you merely making stuff up as you go along again? Gasp.

But by all means tell us what exactly a "practicing humanist" is, what they do, and what qualifies them as such. Are there ceremonies they attend? Mantras they recite to reaffirm their faith to themselves and others? What is it exactly?
    I can’t help but get the feeling that a lot of couples are opting for a humanist ceremony instead without actually giving any thought as to whether humanism is compatible with their beliefs or not.

I notice you did not actually mention WHAT is "giving you that feeling" so I would be interested to know. Because I have been at quite a few at this stage and I know every single one of them put a lot of thought into what ceremony they wanted and why they wanted it. And not one of them gave any appearance of doing it because of trendiness. Is there something substantive giving you this feeling, or do you just have a differing set of personal anecdotes to my own?

This has not happened at a single one of the ones I was at. Not a single one I attended mentioned anything that was based in myth, folklore, fairy tales or unsubstantiated nonsense. You make it sound like you are mixing up humanist weddings with Wicca somewhere along the line.
    Fair enough. To me it just smacks of attention seeking but each to thier own.

We are talking about weddings here. They are MEANT to be attention seeking. It is kinda the point. :)

You've missed the point of what I was writing about by perhaps a thousand country miles

Ok Let's see...

To which you replied..

I didn't miss your point at all. It's impossible to miss. It's pretty cut and dried.

You are generalising and denigrating an entire group of parents based on your own prejudices and that is not a position I can take seriously or engage with.
    I'm trying to having a peaceful discussion about how religion works in general terms, while you're telling me, in increasingly heated terms, about my feelings. Do you know me personally, and if not, how on earth do you know what I feel? :rolleyes:

As am I. I have neither been un-peacful nor heated. Nor have i told you how you "feel". :confused:

As i've said a couple of times now, I get how religion works in general. I even get your slant on how it works to a certain extent. I don't agree but i get it. That's not the issue here..

The issue is that when you write off an entire group of parents in the way that you have, any further points you make, no matter how valid, are held in that light and are difficult to take seriously as a result

I can only assume your claims that i'm getting heated and not being peacful are an attempt to discredit me but your accusations are simply not bourne out by my posts which are there, unedited for anyone to see.
    Anyhow, it's best to drop the topic if you're not interested in discussing it peacefully.

Indeed :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement