Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAP Bike Park, Glencullen (no longer a rumour!)

Options
  • 31-07-2016 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭

I heard rumors over the weekend about a bike park being built over the winter to open in spring near ticknock, its was to be built on and around an old golf course ?

Anyone know anything about this is it false, cant seem to find anything on it on the net ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Yes it's true. Work already started on the trails and uplift road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Where is it located ?

levitronix wrote: »
    Where is it located ?

All decending towards the old golf course where the uplifts and cafe I presume will be. If you are looking at a map of ticknock its on the south east towards Glencullen.

Couple of friends have spoken with the trail builders and they are asking people to stay off the trials while work is ongoing. What's started looks amazing, big berms, tabletops etc. I've counted 11 runs so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

Yep - work is well underway .... they were even working on Saturday up there! Worth noting that it's being built on private land and as a commercial venture so it will be interesting to see how the economics of it will work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Is it the golf course that was used for the cross race last year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

When people talk about uplift road does that mean this is all gonna be high speed downhill trails?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

g0g wrote: »
    When people talk about uplift road does that mean this is all gonna be high speed downhill trails?

No necessarily. It's just there to get you to the trail head quicker. What they usually have set up then is all varieties of runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Cool!

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Where is it located ?

All decending towards the old golf course where the uplifts and cafe I presume will be. If you are looking at a map of ticknock its on the south east towards Glencullen.

Couple of friends have spoken with the trail builders and they are asking people to stay off the trials while work is ongoing. What's started looks amazing, big berms, tabletops etc. I've counted 11 runs so far.
    Add your reply here. Great thx, thats going to be something cool to look forward to

C3PO wrote: »
    Yep - work is well underway .... they were even working on Saturday up there! Worth noting that it's being built on private land and as a commercial venture so it will be interesting to see how the economics of it will work!
    well if it works like bike park it will be great, you can ride BPI for 5 euro if dont use the uplift, i could easily see myself paying a small few to ride nice trails, keep the uplift for the bigger days when id have more time

• Advertisement

well if it works like bike park it will be great, you can ride BPI for 5 euro if dont use the uplift, i could easily see myself paying a small few to ride nice trails, keep the uplift for the bigger days when id have more time

I would hope that they operate some sort of a membership scheme (at a reasonable rate) so that people like me, who would never be using their car-park or uplifts, could pay an annual sub and then include some of the trails as part of my XC training loops in the same way as I do on the Ticknock and Ballinastoe trails.

I would hope that they operate some sort of a membership scheme (at a reasonable rate) so that people like me, who would never be using their car-park or uplifts, could pay an annual sub and then include some of the trails as part of my XC training loops in the same way as I do on the Ticknock and Ballinastoe trails.

I would imagine being in Dublin it will be entirely the opposite and will charge at an exorbitant hourly rate. :D

In all honesty I can't see it matching bpi for value.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I would imagine being in Dublin it will be entirely the opposite and will charge at an exorbitant hourly rate. :D

In all honesty I can't see it matching bpi for value.

I don't know - unlike BPI it will extremely difficult for the operators to police the use of the new trails given their proximity and accessibility from the Coillte trails. Much easier to encourage people to pay a reasonable access fee rather than constantly trying to chase people around the place I would have thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

rather than constantly trying to chase people around the place

Now that could be a good job for any Juniors wanting to improve their fitness and make some extra money...

I don't know - unlike BPI it will extremely difficult for the operators to police the use of the new trails given their proximity and accessibility from the Coillte trails. Much easier to encourage people to pay a reasonable access fee rather than constantly trying to chase people around the place I would have thought!

Fair point perhaps they'll try recoup admittance in parking fees, which to be fair with the number of break ins up there might not be a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Blackgrape

has anybody an upadate on progress?

Blackgrape wrote: »
    has anybody an upadate on progress?

General rumour I've heard is early spring so not before the New year anyway.

Has to be close now, been passed it a few times and some amount of work. It's going to be a very popular spot I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Few shots of the trails I took last week. Pics don't do it justice at all.

20170521_122725_zpsxpas1las.jpg
    20170521_122839_zpsn8hnqvie.jpg
    20170521_122930_zpspoojrqlu.jpg
    20170521_122948_zps1vzcvtky.jpg
    20170521_123016_zpsijsjpgy9.jpg
    20170521_123058_zpsy0ehqxeu.jpg
    20170521_123326_zpssja292jq.jpg
    20170521_123937_zpspmsm0ad3.jpg
    20170521_124354_zpsdcgogacg.jpg
    20170521_124500_zpsbs0sf5br.jpg
    20170521_125247_zps6mqdzbcd.jpg
    20170521_125316_zps6izumk9t.jpg
    20170521_125358_zpsrzf3wdgy.jpg
    20170521_125455_zpssbmnqi98.jpg
    20170521_125620_zpsa2uidubt.jpg

A jump into a berm that'll be interesting :eek:

It looks savage and seems to be a slalom line also suggesting competition ��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,839 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Few shots of the trails I took last week. Pics don't do it justice at all.

Almost looks like it's fully open, I guess they have removed all the tape and Keep out signs?

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Almost looks like it's fully open, I guess they have removed all the tape and Keep out signs?

Not yet no. I pretty much only took pics where there was no tape. For aesthetic reasons like. :D

I heard a rumour the delay in opening is down to securing insurance cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I came across it a few weeks ago. Absolute class of a trail :)

I heard a rumour the delay in opening is down to securing insurance cover.

Would have thought that you would make sure that you could get insurance before starting an expensive build? The recent tragedy in BPI probably hasn't helped.
    Hopefully they will get it sorted and opened soon.

Well either way work hasn't stalled there. The actual trails are finished months but need time to bed in. In the mean time they've been working on the grounds and refurbing an old agricultural shed for bike repair and rental.

Due to the proximity of the Ticknock trails and easy access through the woods to the new trails I was hoping that they would be free to use and that they would make their money on uplift, bike rental and the cafe but in the last few weeks they've completely fenced it off from the Coillte land bar one small gap that i guess in time will have a gate or style.

20170521_122248_zpsgkn3mvm9.jpg
    20170521_122156_zps1p3aakvk.jpg
    20170521_125828_zpsmmenh8mv.jpg
    20170521_125839_zps9nrqoyr9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Any chance of a Google Maps link to the exact spot please?

Any chance of a Google Maps link to the exact spot please?

It's not open yet so wasting your time going for a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It's not open yet so wasting your time going for a look.

Actually, that wasn't my plan, so I'm still interested to know exactly where it is.

• Advertisement

Actually, that wasn't my plan, so I'm still interested to know exactly where it is.

Just Google Glencullen Golf Club. Regardless of whether it's open or not it's a nice area to go for a walk and gawk.

Advertisement