Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAP Bike Park, Glencullen (no longer a rumour!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I think the issue here will possibly be short trails and lads flying down to queue for an uplift. BPI has nice long trails.

Rostrevor climb isn't much fun do it once and you'll be using the uplift on the next run. :)

I think Davagh forest has a similar one not as severe but still tough I think they call it heart break hill or heart attack hill something along those lines anyway.

any idea on length of trails with this bike park? personally think bpi trails are short enough but really good fun

i ll keep that in mind when i eventually visit Rostrevor

chap i cycle with from time to time calls one of the worst hills in ballyhoura, auschwitz

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Individual trails are quiet short tbh but they kind of join up as you go. Top to bottom on any of them would be cq. 1.5k.

be very grateful if anybody going tomorrow if they could post pics and videos, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    any idea on length of trails with this bike park? personally think bpi trails are short enough but really good fun

i ll keep that in mind when i eventually visit Rostrevor

chap i cycle with from time to time calls one of the worst hills in ballyhoura, auschwitz

I don't know of any particularly bad hills on ballyhoura possibly on the white (long) route I haven't done that one and I'll be sure to avoid it so :D

I don't know of any particularly bad hills on ballyhoura possibly on the white (long) route I haven't done that one and I'll be sure to avoid it so :D

yea its on white, rotten ould yoke. unavoidable if you're doing the longer trails there but in saying that, some rotten climbs on blue/red as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Davagh's climb is called the widowmaker, tough, but not nearly as bad as Rostrevor, done that climb twice in a day last year, done Davagh's 3 or 4 times in the one day and managed it alright.

BPI's climb isn't that bad, it's more the time lost on going down when not using the uplift, managed 20+ runs in BPI using the uplift when I visted, I guess GAP will be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

rizzodun wrote: »
    Davagh's climb is called the widowmaker

That's the one. Davagh is probably one of the best parks I've been to I'm not a huge fan of Rostrevor but I've never used the uplift so that climb may have something to dovwith that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

That's the one. Davagh is probably one of the best parks I've been to I'm not a huge fan of Rostrevor but I've never used the uplift so that climb may have something to dovwith that. :)

The climb is a killer but I prefer the trails in Rostrevor to be honest, was in Davagh last weekend and while it was still good fun, I find the trails are getting very rough, and lot of the large base stones are starting to come through and some sections are becoming 'chattery', and Rostrevor is laid out where you can run top to bottom with little pedaling.

Still, would never pass up an opportunity to visit Davagh if I'm in the area, and some local lads showed me the natural XC trails too, they are good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

I am there today so will upload some gopro later on to make thou all green with envy!

I am there today so will upload some gopro later on to make thou all green with envy!

Hope you have a crap day!

• Advertisement

Brilliant day at The GAP today. Very well organised for the first day of a brand new business. Trails are excellent (in my limited experience), uplifts were quick with no delays, staff were friendly and efficient.

Blue trails are fairly handy but still interesting enough to catch you out if you're not paying attention. Red were tough enough for me but I'm sure I'd get to grips better with a little more practice. Didn't attempt the black.

In relation to paying for the uplifts I wouldn't bother if I was only out for a couple of hours but I can definitely see the value in it if you're out for even a half day.

Very well done to the team. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Visited the place briefly today (on a road bike), looked as if everyone had great fun indeed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Blue trails are fairly handy but still interesting enough to catch you out if you're not paying attention. Red were tough enough for me but I'm sure I'd get to grips better with a little more practice. Didn't attempt the black.

I'll preface this question with a "I know it says 'gravity' somewhere in the park's description", but how would the blue & red trails fare in your estimation for hard-tails? I ask as I'm heading back home in two weeks and toying with bringing the bike with me.

Lemming wrote: »
    I'll preface this question with a "I know it says 'gravity' somewhere in the park's description", but how would the blue & red trails fare in your estimation for hard-tails? I ask as I'm heading back home in two weeks and toying with bringing the bike with me.

I'm riding a hardtail myself and coped fine. I'm sure you'd do better on a full suspension and I certainly wouldn't attempt the black trails on a hardtail.

They do bike rental too btw, full set-up only. ;)

Big Nasty wrote:
    They do bike rental too btw, full set-up only.

What bikes have they got?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    What bikes have they got?

No idea man. You can send an enquiry via their website I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Any vids doing the rounds yet?

Plastik wrote: »
    Any vids doing the rounds yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

The first part, was this one of the green trails?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭54and56

I don't think this would be a good place for an inexperienced 12 year old girl to start out would it?

My daughter and I like to do some fairly flat trail cycling in France on our hardtail MTB's (we both have slightly better than entry level Orbea's, I've an MX40 and she has a Orbea Sport 20 Entrance so we're fairly novice but would like to find some suitable trails and incrementally challenging trails to do at home as we live close to GAP Bike Park / Marley Park / Ticknock etc.

Any suggestions where we should start off if the GAP Park would be too advanced for us?

Should be fine on the blue trails.

I don't think this would be a good place for an inexperienced 12 year old girl to start out would it?

My daughter and I like to do some fairly flat trail cycling in France on our hardtail MTB's (we both have slightly better than entry level Orbea's, I've an MX40 and she has a Orbea Sport 20 Entrance so we're fairly novice but would like to find some suitable trails and incrementally challenging trails to do at home as we live close to GAP Bike Park / Marley Park / Ticknock etc.

Any suggestions where we should start off if the GAP Park would be too advanced for us?

id personally recommend places like ballyhoura, ticknock and ballinastoe before going near places like the gap and bike park ireland. places like bike park and the gap would have limitations compared to the others for beginners, even though im sure you d be able to manage some of the trails at both places.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,845 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Hey, for those in the know.. I presume you can just rock up on Thursday and buy your day pass then? Or is it online booking only?

Tenzor07 wrote:
    Hey, for those in the know.. I presume you can just rock up on Thursday and buy your day pass then? Or is it online booking only?

I'm sure you could purchase on arrival on the day, I could be wrong though

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MeWantBroadband

WTF is up with the rocks beside the path in the video?

Some kind of Darwinian evolution thing the norm in MTB these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,845 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

WTF is up with the rocks beside the path in the video?
    Some kind of Darwinian evolution thing the norm in MTB these days?

No, they are called "trail anchors" designed to keep people on the trail and not to cut the corners of the trail... A cheap and easy solution for the trail builders...

Anyways, if you think that's bad you should see the rock and gravel tracks that Coillte have built for MTB's around by Ticknock if you ever want to see how not to design a MTB track...

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭hungry4k

I can't find a website. Do they rent bikes here?

Thanks

• Advertisement

hungry4k wrote: »
    I can't find a website. Do they rent bikes here?

Thanks

https://www.thegap.ie/

it is believed rental is a service but you d have to contact them to confirm.

Advertisement