Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAP Bike Park, Glencullen (no longer a rumour!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭hungry4k

Thanks,

I've emailed now. Looks impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sunsets On Tuesday

Anybody else think that the opening hours, 09:00-17:00 from Thursday to Monday are a bit odd? Surely there'd be a lot of people looking to use the trails after work? Especially this time of year. Seems bizarre that they're closed all that time.
    Perhaps they could be a 24/7 thing, where you can just pay in a honesty box or something? Because it would seem that they'd lose out a bit with those operating hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,839 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Anybody else think that the opening hours, 09:00-17:00 from Thursday to Monday are a bit odd?

As far as I know that refers to the uplifts and/or bike rentals... the trails are probably still in operation after that time..

There's a couple of "Insiders" from The Gap park on this forum so I am sure they will correct me if i'm wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Anybody else think that the opening hours, 09:00-17:00 from Thursday to Monday are a bit odd? Surely there'd be a lot of people looking to use the trails after work? Especially this time of year. Seems bizarre that they're closed all that time.
    Perhaps they could be a 24/7 thing, where you can just pay in a honesty box or something? Because it would seem that they'd lose out a bit with those operating hours.

yea thats a bit odd alright, and i would imagine it relates to the uplift service.
    Tenzor07 wrote: »
    As far as I know that refers to the uplifts and/or bike rentals... the trails are probably still in operation after that time..

There's a couple of "Insiders" from The Gap park on this forum so I am sure they will correct me if i'm wrong...

id imagine the trails would be inaccessible at certain times due to health and safety and insurance reasons. longer summer opening hours do make sense though.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    yea thats a bit odd alright, and i would imagine it relates to the uplift service.
    id imagine the trails would be inaccessible at certain times due to health and safety and insurance reasons. longer summer opening hours do make sense though.

What are they gonna do, put barriers across the trails at 5pm?

The bike park will be practically empty on Thursday, Friday and Monday

• Advertisement

What are they gonna do, put barriers across the trails at 5pm?

The bike park will be practically empty on Thursday, Friday and Monday

is the whole park fenced off?

is the whole park fenced off?

They were during the building phase, maybe they will pull plastic netting across the trails or something...

They were during the building phase, maybe they will pull plastic netting across the trails or something...

id imagine they ll build or have built permanent fencing around the entire park as its a privately run park just as bike park ireland is, and rightfully so. it is an investment after all which requires hefty insurance and other costs to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

So The GAP is officially open now. Anyone booked in over the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Is the uplift just a lift up in a transit? What kind of numbers can they shift up in say an hour?

• Advertisement

salmocab wrote: »
    Is the uplift just a lift up in a transit? What kind of numbers can they shift up in say an hour?

3 X Transit Passenger Van & Bike Trailer, think they take 14 each and run all day with a break for lunch. AFAIK they are only taking bookings for the amount of seats they have so wait times shouldn't be an issue. No cap on day pass bookings ATM, no need to pre-book for those either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Big Nasty wrote: »
    So The GAP is officially open now. Anyone booked in over the weekend?

Wont be up until the week after next; it'll be a mid-week run too, probably the Tuesday. Looking forward to it. Planning on bringing the hard-tail back with me from the UK, although may end up renting one of the gravity pogo-sticks and going nuts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Lemming wrote: »
    Wont be up until the week after next; it'll be a mid-week run too, probably the Tuesday. Looking forward to it. Planning on bringing the hard-tail back with me from the UK, although may end up renting one of the gravity pogo-sticks and going nuts :D

I'm possibly wrong but I think I read somewhere it's only open Thurs - Sun.

I also see they have a strict age policy no one under 16 without company of an adult under 18 needs I'd or written consent. From reading a post on FB it looks as though a lot were pulled up on it yesterday.

There's no bike rental in place yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I was there today, went a good few times up and down the blue trails.

Its the first time on the MTB bike when I actually enjoyed it fully - trails have great, flowy design. After a few times I regain a lot of confidence that I lost trying even the easy Ticknock ones.

Well worth the fiver, I'm definitely coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I'm possibly wrong but I think I read somewhere it's only open Thurs - Sun.

Oh well then Friday it'll need to be. I doubt the sister would appreciate me ducking out during her wedding ceremony :pac:
    There's no bike rental in place yet.

I recall seeing a facebook photo from a few weeks ago of them having received a shed-load of nukeproof bikes; both enduro and DH sorts. Might need to give them a call and see what's what and whether or not they'll have rentals in place by the time I arrive.

Lemming wrote: »
    I recall seeing a facebook photo from a few weeks ago of them having received a shed-load of nukeproof bikes; both enduro and DH sorts. Might need to give them a call and see what's what and whether or not they'll have rentals in place by the time I arrive.

Possibly. They replied to this guy on FB today.

Daithi De Bri Do you do bike hire?

Glencullen Adventure Park Bike Rental is not yet in operation

They have the bikes but they're still tweaking the website and it's not set up for bike rental yet.

Up there today for a look....

Well, what a facility! If you have a MTB, get up there!

Super trails, and you don't need a big bike to get down most of them...

Well worth a measly 5 quid!

Up there today for a look....

Well, what a facility! If you have a MTB, get up there!

Super trails, and you don't need a big bike to get down most of them...

Well worth a measly 5 quid!

Was it busy?

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Was it busy?

Yea was booked out!
    But sure there was no congestion on the trails as people were going around in groups mainly..

But I chanced my arm, and came in from Ticknock and got a pedal-up pass down at the office no probs... great setup there.. and the pedal up's are grand.

• Advertisement

came in from Ticknock and got a pedal-up pass down at the office no probs...

I did this yesterday and was moderately frowned upon. The insurance thing...

Alek wrote: »
    I did this yesterday and was moderately frowned upon. The insurance thing...

Ah was grand, buzzed down the blue trail no hassles and signed up down at the main office, not a bother, I think they'll realise that people will come in from the top entrance also..

Amazing not to have walkers and/or horseriders to deal with on the trails in there..! :)

i wouldnt advise or recommend people to use the trails before signing in and paying. as ive said previously, somebody has put a lot of money and stress into creating this fantastic facility for us all to enjoy, if theres an accident or problem from such users, it could potentially shut the place, and cause its owners a lot of problems.

But in fairness, cycling from the north side to Glencullen on an MTB is a bit silly if I can zip through Ticknock.

There should be open access for anyone that has paid and signed the waiver online.

But in fairness, cycling from the north side to Glencullen on an MTB is a bit silly if I can zip through Ticknock.

There should be open access for anyone that has paid and signed the waiver online.

its a fair point alright but id say it would be difficult to manage the operations of this kind of setup. if they dont keep tabs of the coming and goings from the trails, there will be problems. i havent seen the trails at all yet, so ive no idea of the setup, but i do see it from their point of view, it must be very difficult to get things like insurance for these types of businesses, i really wouldnt like to see the cost of it, id say its shocking. id imagine waivers would need an actual signature on them in order to be legally binding?

id imagine waivers would need an actual signature on them in order to be legally binding?

Check this out: they do.

Check this out: they do.

thats very good actually, theyve put a lot of thought into this. i wish them every success in their business, its an extremely risky thing to do with the nature of the sport, but we users also must play our part in supporting it and helping the owners protect their business. id imagine its fraught with all sorts of legalities and ****e really. im a trail builder myself, and can somewhat relate to land and business owners, or at least understand the legalities of such ventures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

This place suitable enough for a trying out MTB-ing for a day once they get the rental setup started? My only experience to date is a day in Ballyhoura previously which I really enjoyed. From looking at the videos above it certainly looked doable on the easy trails, yeah?

thats very good actually, theyve put a lot of thought into this. i wish them every success in their business, its an extremely risky thing to do with the nature of the sport, but we users also must play our part in supporting it and helping the owners protect their business. id imagine its fraught with all sorts of legalities and ****e really. im a trail builder myself, and can somewhat relate to land and business owners, or at least understand the legalities of such ventures.

Yea, you just have to go and sign it once you get to the park...

And yea, people can just cruise down to the office and sign the waiver and pay the money, you're given a tag to put on your bars also...

And.. I think you have really made your point! :p

• Advertisement

g0g wrote: »
    This place suitable enough for a trying out MTB-ing for a day once they get the rental setup started? My only experience to date is a day in Ballyhoura previously which I really enjoyed. From looking at the videos above it certainly looked doable on the easy trails, yeah?

Yeap! Of course, the green and blue trails are perfect for a newbie..

Advertisement