Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring a light fixture in sitting room

Options
  • 01-08-2016 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can tell me. I'm trying to fix a new light in my sitting room. Out of the ceiling where the old one came out of is 1 live, 1 neutral and 2 earth.

I've tried connecting as you would the live - live, neutral - neutral, 2 earth to the 1 earth which is earthed to a screw on the light.

Now when I do this I get nothing. I've tried doing it step by step; where I connected the lives, this sent power to the live wire of my light, but whenever I connected the neutral everything went dead and I lost power to both the live and neutral.

I'm fairly baffled by what's happening here. Just wondering if anyone can guide me in the right direction?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

A picture would help.

Unlikely you have 2 earths I would imagine you have 2 neutrals and you have them mixed up.

When you turn on the light switch does the MCB trip? It's also possible if you have already done this the light switch might be buggered as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can tell me. I'm trying to fix a new light in my sitting room. Out of the ceiling where the old one came out of is 1 live, 1 neutral and 2 earth.

I've tried connecting as you would the live - live, neutral - neutral, 2 earth to the 1 earth which is earthed to a screw on the light.

Now when I do this I get nothing. I've tried doing it step by step; where I connected the lives, this sent power to the live wire of my light, but whenever I connected the neutral everything went dead and I lost power to both the live and neutral.

I'm fairly baffled by what's happening here. Just wondering if anyone can guide me in the right direction?

If possible you should try to wire the new light with some flex and a plug and plug it in. If it trips the breaker after this then you have a faulty light.
    If the light works by trying this then you probably have a problem with the wiring.
    As the previous poster said.. Is it possible you are mixing up a neutral and earth? Do you know what sort of noise the breaker makes when it trips? A neutral to earth fault will usually trip a breaker quieter than a live to earth fault but this won't help much if you don't know what to listen for.
    Check for damage in the part of the cable you can see as we and if you think the cable may have been damaged by a screw or something check there.
    If possible upload a photo as it may help.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DeborahMeaden

OK, so I've tried to upload a pic but it won't let me link directly from this post but here's the link with few spaces in it:

h t t p s : / / s32.postimg.org/m0fwa05r5/image.jpg

So I've used an old light that I had in one of the kids bedroom and it worked OK albeit it flashed a little, I might try connecting the flex to a plug and seeing if that works.

But the two yellow/greens is what's really puzzling me.

Thanks for the help guys, appreciate the comments

Just on the wires part, all wires seem to be working as I tested the brown, it was sending power as it should. the blue had nothing, same as the green/yellow.
    Then I connected the brown to the light and it was still sending power
    Then I connected the blue to the light and lost power in both - I left all the yellow/greens alone until I tested this.

Thanks again guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

OK, so I've tried to upload a pic but it won't let me link directly from this post but here's the link with few spaces in it:

h t t p s : / / s32.postimg.org/m0fwa05r5/image.jpg

So I've used an old light that I had in one of the kids bedroom and it worked OK albeit it flashed a little, I might try connecting the flex to a plug and seeing if that works.

But the two yellow/greens is what's really puzzling me.

Thanks for the help guys, appreciate the comments

What are you testing the circuit with?

It's possible there is a junction box behind that ceiling rose and a cable may be loose this could be the reason the other flickered.

image.jpg

I assume you've tested the bulb?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

If you don't know what you are doing then you shouldn't be doing it.

Never thought of that, you could be right.
    Risteard81 wrote: »
    If you don't know what you are doing then you shouldn't be doing it.

Yeah it could be, I checked one of the bulbs in another place and it worked fine. I may have to bite the bullet on this one and call in a pro.

Tested it with one of the circuit testing screw drivers.

Thanks for your suggestions though, appreciate the helpful comments..
    iwillhtfu wrote: »
    What are you testing the circuit with?

It's possible there is a junction box behind that ceiling rose and a cable may be loose this could be the reason the other flickered.

I assume you've tested the bulb?

I assume you've tested the bulb?[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Never thought of that, you could be right.

Regardless this work should be carried out by a REC.
    You're situation could get more complicated, getting someone in now would be the way to go .

Good luck with it.

Cheers buddy, thanks for stating the obvious :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

no problem any time :)

Since we are buddies now I also advise reading the rules of the forum before asking questions about illegal works and not liking it when its pointed out to you, even after you got some help.

As before, good luck with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement