Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3a vs 4a in plug?

Options
  • 01-08-2016 2:14pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭

First time poster and know nothing about electrics. I'm in Spain at present and one of my adaptor plugs blew a fuse when a hairdryer was plugged in to it.

As the adaptor plug is part of an adaptor set I want to hold on to it. The adaptor can take a plug from any region and also has a usb connection to charge portable devices.

I couldn't see what type of fuse it was however with broken English the hardware store told me it was a 3a fuse that blew but he only had 4a fuses in stock.

He put it in and tested it and it seems to work fine.

However is it safe? Given the plug is mostly going to be used for charging phones should I get a 3a fuse elsewhere?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,459 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Most UK/Irish three-pin plugs have fuses in them which are appropriate to the appliance they are connected to which in the case of a hair dryer would be a 13A fuse. Your adapter will blow a fuse again if you plug the hair dryer into it, given that you've only increased the rating from 3A to 4A. Some charger plugs don't have a fuse (all Apple chargers do) and you can continue to use that adapter with low-powered devices like phone or tablet chargers but not an appliance with a heating element like a hair dryer or kettle as they draw too much current.

For the hair dryer (which is already protected with a fuse in the plug), just buy a basic travel adapter with no fuse, that h/w shop should sell them.

Advertisement