Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheels and Tyre Question

Options
  • 01-08-2016 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭

As a relatively newbie to cycling I have a question about wheels and types selection.

When I bought My bike it came it 23mm tyres on a 700c x 18c/23c wheel.

Now I would like to change to a 25mm tyre for a bit more comfort and also to maybe do a few adventure races next year.

Will a 25mm tyre fit my 700c x18c/23c wheel?
    Or will I need to change my wheels?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Tyre will fit, clearance on the frame is the limiting factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

As nak said, the tyre will fit. Some tyres are wider than others so you may have a (not significant) issue with the brake callipers. As an example, I had stock 25mm on a Giant bike. I swapped the tyres to Michelin 25mm and they are a bit wider than the Giant tyres and require a bit of persuasion to pass the brake pads even with the lever opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

OP - have a look at the clearance on your current 23's - i.e. at the top of the tyre where it goes under the brake assemble/frame and at the sides for fork clearance. High end race specific bikes tend to have less clearance.

(Wider tyres will limit your options for mudguards should you wish to go down that road).

Advertisement