Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reccomend a distro based on these requirements

• 01-08-2016 4:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

As there are so many options out there, just looking for the latest opinions on what distro might suit the following :

1) I want a fast, reliable, secure, distro for home/work use, that isn't too bloated with software and is relatively easy to maintain and update, and one that I can stick with for the next few years without fear of it being dropped.

2) Visual appearance isn't important at all. I'm quite comfortable with the command line and I'm happy using it a lot (in fact I prefer it), but I don't have time to set up a system from scratch i.e. Arch etc.

3) I want something that will be easily compatible with dual monitors and other hardware. I've found in the past some distro's aren't.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Hi folks,

As there are so many options out there, just looking for the latest opinions on what distro might suit the following :

1) I want a fast, reliable, secure, distro for home/work use, that isn't too bloated with software and is relatively easy to maintain and update, and one that I can stick with for the next few years without fear of it being dropped.

2) Visual appearance isn't important at all. I'm quite comfortable with the command line and I'm happy using it a lot (in fact I prefer it), but I don't have time to set up a system from scratch i.e. Arch etc.

3) I want something that will be easily compatible with dual monitors and other hardware. I've found in the past some distro's aren't.

Thanks.

Linux Mint, Fedora, Debian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    Linux Mint, Fedora, Debian.
    +
    PCLinuxOS, Suse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

+1 for Mint. I replaced Windows 8 with it on the young lads slowish laptop. It works a treat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭human 19

If you are worried about bloat, then you will probably want to consider whic desktop environment to choose. If you go for the new mint 18 (good timing, its a long term supported version which is currently being rolled out) , there are various versions to choose from.

Have a look here

I believe XFCE has the lowest overhead , but am not an expert as I always use KDE anyway. Mint 18 XFCE is still in beta, so you may want to try the cinnamon or mate flavours for more immediate stability

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

The final finished release of Mint 18 XFCE is now available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

I'd stick with Ubuntu directly, not a derivative of Ubuntu (like Mint).
    You mentioned "secure" if that's big requirement I would stay away from "mint"

Lubuntu or Xubuntu Looks like a good fit for your requirements.

Lubuntu is a fast, lightweight and energy-saving variant of Ubuntu using the LXDE (Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment) desktop
    https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=lubuntu

Xubuntu is a community-developed operating system based on Ubuntu. It comes with Xfce, which is a stable, light and configurable desktop environment.
    https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=xubuntu

Keplar240B wrote: »
    Why? What makes Mint insecure?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Keplar240B wrote: »

If this is in relation to the hack during the year, with malicious ISO files posted to the site, you can be sure the Mint Community patched all of the up since. It would be foolish of them not to take security more seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

If you want something that you can customize to exactly how you want it, then Arch Linux is your friend. Installation can be a chore, though.

Debian is about the most stable distro out there, although you won't get the latest packages with Debian Jessie, the current stable release. Not sure if that's an issue for you or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Why? What makes Mint insecure?

The OP mentioned he wanted a secure distro
    Ubuntu is more secure than Mint
    Ubuntu is backed by the Canonical company
    Mint while based off Ubuntu is backed by a small software team of mainly volunteers

MInt by default keep back important security updates (for "stability" reasons, although Ubuntu,
    not keeping back the same updates is really stable (depends on h/w)).
    It's a distro what's modified Ubuntu that's modified Debian,
    thus slowing down updating packages and creating some rare incompatibilities with software meant for Ubuntu.
    Also, their website was hacked, compromised .iso-s were uploaded, people downloaded malware .iso's,
    they (Mint team) responded by fixing the download links, then they got hacked again (because the original flaw was not fixed),
    the same bad iso thing repeated itself, then they fixed it,
    it was later revealed their forum database (with IP addresses,
    usernames, passwords
    (hashed with MD5 that's really insecure, might as well been plaintext) and a few more things) were stolen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Fedora would be my choice

Fedora would be my choice

Linux Mint is a good starting point. Fedora would be great for the intermediate to more advanced user though. I use Fedora and I'm a bit smug about it, as I run PhpMyAdmin, Mariadb, Bugzilla, Monit, Ansible, Jenkins and a few other tools in my day to day dealing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

The reason I don't use Fedora myself is that it has a very short life cycle and then you have to upgrade. But upgrades were always problematic for me (maybe today they're smoother) so I usually did a clean install and that was a lot more work.

After saying that not many would choose ubuntu gnome for their laptop like I did :)
    On a server I would be a lot more likely to be scripting so prefer Centos (a Redhat ELS clone) mostly because Redhat uses Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS) which mirrors old unix boxes I used so I have less to learn :) With systemd taking over nearly all linux distros I guess I need to find something else if I want to continue to use my old unix skills :(

Anyway, my point was since the OP requested
    one that I can stick with for the next few years
    perhaps something with a LTS [Long Term Support for the OP] would be more appropriate than Fedora.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Ubuntu MATE is also a great option. Using it at the moment on a college laptop I have. Really lovely distro.

croo wrote: »
    The reason I don't use Fedora myself is that it has a very short life cycle and then you have to upgrade. But upgrades were always problematic for me (maybe today they're smoother) so I usually did a clean install and that was a lot more work.

After saying that not many would choose ubuntu gnome for their laptop like I did :)
    On a server I would be a lot more likely to be scripting so prefer Centos (a Redhat ELS clone) mostly because Redhat uses Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS) which mirrors old unix boxes I used so I have less to learn :) With systemd taking over nearly all linux distros I guess I need to find something else if I want to continue to use my old unix skills :(

Anyway, my point was since the OP requestedperhaps something with a LTS [Long Term Support for the OP] would be more appropriate than Fedora.

You might try Devuan then. https://devuan.org/ It split from Debian after Systemd debacle and I still remember all the bitching that went on, which is why I never contributed to the project.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Giacomo McGubbin

What do people think of running centOS as a desktop to assist with becoming familiar with RHEL ? Or would you be better with Fedora ?
    I'm also now tempted to go with Arch as well for the learning experience, which would be the best option in that case ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I use Manjaro for an Arch variant. Here's a full overview of it

Not sure if it's the best for 'learning' as in wanting to do absolutely everything yourself. I use dual monitors with this but I've had problems in the past but I'm not so sure it's Manjaro or even Arch. Something to do with xrandr perhaps. It's working fine for dual screens with open source intel drivers other than that I can't set the secondary's desktop background which isn't too big a deal I suppose. I'll be trying AMD drivers for dual monitors later. Nvidia's weren't great.

Best thing about any arch flavour is access to the AUR. Nice thing about this variant is Yakuake is in it by default for KDE. Press F12 and the terminal just drops right down like a blackboard. Lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

+1 for Mint (it's Irish!) Running Mint 18 XFCE 64bit on my Toshiba Satellite (4GB RAM, Intel Core i3 2.53GHz) and it's performing grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭limnam

What do people think of running centOS as a desktop to assist with becoming familiar with RHEL ? Or would you be better with Fedora ?
    I'm also now tempted to go with Arch as well for the learning experience, which would be the best option in that case ?

Considering CentOS is RHEL without any RH trademarks, it's binary like for like.

Fedora is basically upstream for RH so if your goal is to become familiar with RHEL Fedora is not the way to go and Arch is definitely not the way to go.

What do you want to achieve exactly?

CentOS comes with no desktop manager at all, cli only

• Advertisement

Huh?
    It comes with gnome.

limnam wrote: »
    Huh?
    It comes with gnome.

The minimal install doesn't, that's all I've ever used

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

limnam wrote: »
    Huh?
    It comes with gnome.
    As limnam says there is a gnome desktop just like RHEL. On install you get to choose but on a server I'd never install it (the desktop that is).

The mind boggles as to why you'd run CentOS or RHEL with a DE in the first place. They both make for great Servers and if anyone is interested in using both, both can be run in a VM.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Giacomo McGubbin

The mind boggles as to why you'd run CentOS or RHEL with a DE in the first place. They both make for great Servers and if anyone is interested in using both, both can be run in a VM.

The information I was given was that it could be and has been, even though it's designed for a server application. I didn't know how accurate that was, that's why I asked. That's why I also asked would I be better running fedora or arch ? So which one would you advise ? Because if we all knew everything, then we wouldn't need any forum.

Both can be used with a DE, but I don't see the sense in it. If you're looking to learn or make a move to Linux, I'd suggest Fedora, but if you're looking for a challenge, then I'd go for Arch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 fig_roll

me_irl wrote: »
    +1 for Mint (it's Irish!)

Name a single member of the core team that's Irish?

me_irl wrote: »
    +1 for Mint (it's Irish!) Running Mint 18 XFCE 64bit on my Toshiba Satellite (4GB RAM, Intel Core i3 2.53GHz) and it's performing grand.

Clem was living and working in Ireland when development started.
    I believe that is the connection with Ireland.

Yes, development began in Ireland, but has since moved.

• Advertisement

Because it makes one of the most professional/stable desktop experience's you're likely to find. So as far as Enterprise it's RHEL or SuSE. The mind boggles why you wouldn't.

If it's for a home desktop and you want the latest and greatest then yes it doesn't make much sense. It would still be rock solid though if that's what your need is then it's the perfect desktop environment and has been for years in places like IBM/ARM/Intel/RH obviously.

Advertisement