Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 weeks from zero to stupid... Doable?

Options
  • 01-08-2016 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

Haven't been on the bike in over a year. Friends doing a 260km charity cycle in 2 weeks. Would u get enough prep in to prepare me self for that distance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

2 weeks or 6 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Wesser wrote: »
    2 weeks or 6 weeks?

Sorry 6 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

of course if can be done but there a few other variables will decide how you do it, age, body fat, general activity levels etc.

Are you friends training hard for this? Are they prepared to wait for you?

siochain wrote: »
    of course if can be done but there a few other variables will decide how you do it, age, body fat, general activity levels etc.

Are you friends training hard for this? Are they prepared to wait for you?

I've done the distance or there abouts before so I know what's involved. There'll be various levels on the cycle but its a very much no one left behind attitude

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

You'll be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Are you looking to enjoy it, or just get through it?

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Too big an ask. If the group is sticking together you will ruin their fun (But you know the group, I don't).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

It's all about the pace, bout the pace, no trouble :)

If it's low twenties in kph and chat and banter and a big group to hide in and get dragged along you can certainly train for that in 6 weeks.
    If it's more like 30 and tearing strips off each other then it's a bit more of a challenge obviously :). But sure fcuk it, whaddya the worst that can happen - you have to call a mate or your wife to pick you up with a commendable 160k or something on the clock. Not the end of anyone's world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Definitely doable but the extent to which you survive/enjoy it will depend on a few things.
    *have you being keeping fit in your year off the bike?
    *have you cycled for a good few years? Raced etc?
    *naturally have decent athlete? It just easier for some people
    * are you a stubborn fcuker?
    *NB in your own head are you 50/50 about doing it or more 90/10?
    *24/25km on a none hilly route you'll get away with probably about 80W or thereabouts,

Your biggest challenge will be mental and comfort.

Do just to test a Tim Noakes theory that applies to running marathons. He reckons all you need to do is run 5/6km maybe 3 times a week and then 10-14 (I think) prior to event do one super slow long run. The various adaptations need for long distance both physical and mental then occur. So spend 4 weeks getting fitter with short enough spins and do one super slow long distance and your sorted.. allegedly

Is it the Equinox cycle to Donegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

my brother did the fullfat version of Flanders with no specific training just a few spins although he hadnt been off the bike for any extended period. I think its doable its not a race and you are in no rush

• Advertisement

ford2600 wrote: »
    Definitely doable but the extent to which you survive/enjoy it will depend on a few things.
    *have you being keeping fit in your year off the bike?
    *have you cycled for a good few years? Raced etc?
    *naturally have decent athlete? It just easier for some people
    * are you a stubborn fcuker?
    *NB in your own head are you 50/50 about doing it or more 90/10?
    *24/25km on a none hilly route you'll get away with probably about 80W or thereabouts,

Your biggest challenge will be mental and comfort.

Do just to test a Tim Noakes theory that applies to running marathons. He reckons all you need to do is run 5/6km maybe 3 times a week and then 10-14 (I think) prior to event do one super slow long run. The various adaptations need for long distance both physical and mental then occur. So spend 4 weeks getting fitter with short enough spins and do one super slow long distance and your sorted.. allegedly

Is it the Equinox cycle to Donegal?

Tis the equinox alright yeah. Done it with them before to Sligo and didn't have all that much training done. Pretty much ring of Kerry in july and one 80km spin after that.

Tbh my stubbornness is what gets me through these things. I've done Gaelforce West 3 times with little or no training just brute ignorance

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

as other have said, it depends on what pace is expected. my concern would be that most people who would even comtemplate that long a cycle would be supremely fit, and i know i certainly would not be able to match them with six weeks preparation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

In 2008 I did the Wicklow 200 in 2008 age 57 starting training on 23rd April - about 6 weeks training.
    The two big training spins were 120km flat and 126km very hilly. Off the bike for a year and no other exercise.
    Got around the W200 in just over ten hours suffering.
    Your cycle is very doable if it is flat, and more so if you are in a group doing 20 to 22 km/hr.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

diomed wrote: »
    In 2008 I did the Wicklow 200 in 2008 age 57 starting training on 23rd April - about 6 weeks training.
    do you mean six weeks specifically training for the WW200, or six weeks training from zero? if you get what i mean...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

do you mean six weeks specifically training for the WW200, or six weeks training from zero? if you get what i mean...
    Six weeks from zero. I did spins in Wicklow the year before, and the W100 in 2006.
    In 2008 I started with 30 km spins, 75 km spins, then south Dublin, Glencree, Sally Gap, Roundwood, return regularly. South Dublin to Arklow. Then Glencree, Sally Gap, Roundwood, Laragh, Wicklow Gap, Hollywood, return.
    I'm not claiming I coasted around the W200. I suffered big time, including full leg cramp going up Slive Maan. From Donard onwards I was grinding.

Advertisement