Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Lowside outside Kilkenny

• 01-08-2016 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Well lads,

Just lowsided on a roundabout outside Kilkenny city. Not a bother on me. Was going slow when she went down.

Haven't been in any bother before, so wondering anything I should check apart from the obvious?

Apart from a few scratches on the pipes, she seems alright. No leaking fluids. Brakes all good.. Engine sounds normal. A small bend in the right foot brake lever but nothing you'd write home about.

I'd just come from Gort and had almost lost the back end on a few turns in this poxy weather. Might need some new rubber maybe. Good thread left but maybe just ****e in rain. They're stock. Shinko I think.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

No damage to the forks or rims?

Gear changes are still ok?

Just take it handy getting home.
    Take off fairings and check for any small fluid or oil,petrol leaks.

if you are getting new rubber,then get a well known make of tyre,dont scrimp on tyres,especially on a motorbike.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 MojiGoji

No damage to the forks or rims?

Gear changes are still ok?

Just take it handy getting home.
    Take off fairings and check for any small fluid or oil,petrol leaks.

if you are getting new rubber,then get a well known make of tyre,dont scrimp on tyres,especially on a motorbike.

Nope. Forks are good. Rims OK too. Gear shift is its usual self.

Think the pipe and panniers took the slide. Rubber cover popped off the brake lever but no other damage up front.

Pulled over for a stop for a good bit and nothing dripping or leaking, so think I'm all good.

Aye, agree with ya on tyres. Bike is new (to me) and hadn't the dosh yet to put new rubber on. That'll teach me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Sorry to hear about your spill mate. Roundabouts are a killer, doesnt matter what rubber you have on if diesel spilled on the road and at roundabouts most of the time in the wet there is....have you any idea what caused it? Gravel, diesel etc

Glad you are fine.....

• Registered Users Posts: 21 MojiGoji

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your spill mate. Roundabouts are a killer, doesnt matter what rubber you have on if diesel spilled on the road and at roundabouts most of the time in the wet there is....have you any idea what caused it? Gravel, diesel etc

Glad you are fine.....

Thanks! Appreciated.

I just presumed the $hit rubber is what caused it. They're not even Shinko. I was wrong earlier, they're 'Deestone'. Avoid if you ever see them! Complete muck. Getting them changed asap. More fool me for leaving them on.

It was at this roundabout here (remove the spaces, can't post links yet) https:// goo .gl/93Zr8q

I had just come out of the petrol station having filled up. It was lashing rain, and a puddle had accumulated under the petrol pump. It could be that I drove through a mix of rain-water and spilled petrol/diesel, as I had the lowside at the very next turn. Can't know if that was the cause for sure though. My throttle control etc were all as usual (smooth! ha ;) )

Was going slow, as it was lashing, I was miserable, and the road was quiet so I'd nothing to keep flow with. As soon as I leaned her over entering the roundabout, the back wheel lost traction immediately, and down I went. Took the impact on my right arse cheek, so no damage. Not even a bruise. The bike was kind to gently plop me down.

I'd leathers on under some cheap aldi rain pants. Not a scratch on either.

Bit rattled now as I've never had a spot of bother ever before, not a scratch! But these things happen I suppose.

Drove on from there to Naas and the bank end was skiddish at ever single turn. Even on straights it felt like hell. As I said, bike was new to me and it was the first time I'd had it in the wet. Miserable drive home. Was $hitting it the whole way.

My own fault in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Yeah m8, id say there was deffo diesel/petrol all over the petrol station for a start. And if the rubber is that bad it was a lost cause from the get go. Chalk it down to experience.

• Advertisement
Advertisement