Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids in Cafes

Options
  • 01-08-2016 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭

I like to go out for the occasional coffee either by myself or with friends. Impossible nowadays to find a cafe that doesn't have the atmosphere of a school playground or a creche.

Maybe parents live in a dream-world where they believe that other patrons are only too happy to see their little darlings re-enact world war 2 with some plastic toys they've given them. I recall a time when kids were given things to shut them up - not to give them an opportunity to make even more noise.

And visually, it's the way the really mess up their table with crumbs, straws, sweet wrappers, on the plates , on the tables, on the seats, on the ground, while their parents light up and gossip; giving the occasional roar as to give the impression their being responsible parents. Really not the type of environment a grown adult would like to spend his or her time in.

I really think cafe owners should take some responsibility for all this. It's in their interest to come to a better arrangement after all. A one kid per table policy would be reasonable and wouldn't it make financial sense to have more paying adults seated that to have low spending riff raff sullying their establishment who scare off the more desirable clientèle ! I was never taken to cafes when I was a child. And quite right too. It's just a total lack of consideration that parents have these days which is a sign of our times. Sigh.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

When I open my seaside café, children under ten will not be allowed in. The sign will say "LEAVE YOUR STICKY SNOTTY ****S AT HOME PLEASE"
    Well behaved dogs are allowed though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

My Jonny is an angle! :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭corner of hells

learn_more wrote: »
    I like to go out for the occasional coffee either by myself or with friends. Impossible nowadays to find a cafe that doesn't have the atmosphere of a school playground or a creche.

Maybe parents live in a dream-world where they believe that other patrons are only too happy to see their little darlings re-enact world war 2 with some plastic toys they've given them. I recall a time when kids were given things to shut them up - not to give them an opportunity to make even more noise.

And visually, it's the way the really mess up their table with crumbs, straws, sweet wrappers, on the plates , on the tables, on the seats, on the ground, while their parents light up and gossip; giving the occasional roar as to give the impression their being responsible parents. Really not the type of environment a grown adult would like to spend his or her time in.

I really think cafe owners should take some responsibility for all this. It's in their interest to come to a better arrangement after all. A one kid per table policy would be reasonable and wouldn't it make financial sense to have more paying adults seated that to have low spending riff raff sullying their establishment who scare off the more desirable clientèle ! I was never taken to cafes when I was a child. And quite right too. It's just a total lack of consideration that parents have these days which is a sign of our times. Sigh.

When you were a child things were different, you could kick the living ****e out of people who annoyed.
    Nowadays you can't batter people senseless.

You should be grateful... going for coffee on your own ?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

Thinly veiled we're not parents thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Story Bud?

s4uv3 wrote: »
    When I open my seaside café, children under ten will not be allowed in. The sign will say "LEAVE YOUR STICKY SNOTTY ****S AT HOME PLEASE"

NO WE WILL NOT HEAT YOUR FCUKING BOTTLE.

• Advertisement

s4uv3 wrote: »

If a cafe allows dogs in, I don't want to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Another misuse of a possessive apostrophe. Yawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Story Bud?

Then you won't go there!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

So you'll go elsewhere then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Only last week I complimented a mother and father on their very well behaved children in my regular cafe. The little girl was 4 and the boy under a year. Polite, quiet, friendly, well mannered..

These kids were exceptional but it's not unheard of for well mannered orderly children to be seen in cafés.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Thinly veiled we're not parents thread

Nope bad parents thread....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Ruu wrote: »
    My Jonny is an angle! :mad::mad:

A hardy crowd by all accounts:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angles

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Sitting here trying to enjoy a quiet coffee and have to put up with random shrieks from the two year old at the next table.

Normally I'm OK with kids acting up a bit, and kids' laughter can be soothing even, but sometimes you wonder what goes through the parents' heads. Do they just not give a crap about controlling the behaviour (even a bit).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Only last week I complimented a mother and father on their very well behaved children in my regular cafe. The little girl was 4 and the boy under a year. Polite, quiet, friendly, well mannered..

These kids were exceptional but it's not unheard of for well mannered orderly children to be seen in cafés.

Oh that was me and hereself.
    We drug the kids during the day.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭gifted

I love it...watching other people looking over tut tuting...usually the people who don't have kids because they're so miserable that no one wants to be with them.....rock on kids with the noises, it's one of lifes happy sounds...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Yeah but they are outnumbered by little noisy cnutbags, throwing sh1t off the tables and screaming and screeching so loud that you try to telepathically shut the fcuker up.

All the while the gombeen fcuktard parents are seemingly oblivious to their little demon spawn causing people to be ear fcuked.

Fcuk off to McDonalds with your kids, cnuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Wigglepuppy

I'm surprised so many cafes you go to have a bunch of children in them - my experience of cafes is the opposite, they're not child friendly at all really, don't have any kids' menus. Maybe try a different type of cafe? E.g. the (dare I say it) "hipster" type instead of the more "mass appeal" type? (Yes I know I sound like a tosser but you know what I mean!)

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'm just back from the shops with my son. Suffice to say, he gets flappy when he's happy. Special needs with sensory issues. But you go ahead and tut tut into your buttered scone while judging people. Must be great to be you.

I'll make a note to leave him at home in the cupboard next time.

If a cafe allows you in, I don't want to be there.

:)

• Advertisement

McGruber wrote: »
    Yeah but they are outnumbered by little noisy cnutbags, throwing sh1t off the tables and screaming and screeching so loud that you try to telepathically shut the fcuker up.

All the while the gombeen fcuktard parents are seemibgly oblivious to their little demon spawn causing people to be ear fcuked.

Fcuk off to McDonalds with your kids, cnuts.

I don' know what else to say except... I don't agree.

The bad mannered children are the minority in any cafés I use.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Kids being bought to a restaurant cafe was a big treat and rare years ago now its oh a treat every week or day

MarkR wrote: »
    I'm just back from the shops with my son. Suffice to say, he gets flappy when he's happy. Special needs with sensory issues. But you go ahead and tut tut into your buttered scone while judging people. Must be great to be you.

Nobody mentioned your special needs son. Why are you getting all butt-hurt?

Conors are barred too. Soz bbz ;)

syklops wrote: »
    Nobody mentioned your special needs son. Why are you getting all butt-hurt?

Perhaps because so many obnoxious prats waffle on about the behaviour of children and bemoan that said children are allowed go anywhere, when the prats haven't a clue about children or what issues parents may be dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I remember being in a restaurant in France on a Saturday night when the family goes out to dinner. Big table next to mine with the whole family on it. The kids were perched on phone books & behaved impeccably for the whole two hour dinner.

One young chap slipped off his phone books & landed on the floor. I expected to see people rushing to his aid but instead the parent pulled him up, clipped him around the ear & told him to sit still.

I don' know what else to say except... I don't agree.

The bad mannered children are the minority in any cafés I use.

It's ok to disagree.

Ah in all honesty, I don't mind kids in cafes. They have to eat and parents need to live too.

It's just the ones that really act up when they don't want to be there that bug me. Picking stuff up and throwing it while the parents pretend not to see it.

Maybe I just notice the little bastards instead of the little angels.

MarkR wrote: »

I wouldn't have a problem with a kid with special needs getting "flappy" in a café. Especially if he's happy or excited, because Christ the poor dotes can get fierce frustrated and upset at times.
    It's the perfectly "able" kids that have no manners bet into them that I have a problem with.

Perhaps because so many obnoxious prats waffle on about the behaviour of children and bemoan that said children are allowed go anywhere, when the prats haven't a clue about children or what issues parents may be dealing with.

Give me a break.

• Advertisement

McGruber wrote: »
    It's ok to disagree.

Ah in all honesty, I don't mind kids in cafes. They have to eat and parents need to live too.

It's just the ones that really act up when they don't want to be there that bug me. Picking stuff up and throwing it while the parents pretend not to see it.

Maybe I just notice the little bastards instead of the little angels.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. People rarely notice the well mannered kids. They also love to rant about the unruly ones.

Advertisement