Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids in Cafes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    Absolutely. We were out with the kids and the inconsiderate assholes sitting near us.. giving the passive aggressive dirty looks, imposing their need for silence in a public place....

You said it.. assholes.

Ah now, that's a whole new level of inconsiderate behaviour. People looking in your direction, quietly, saying nothing. What utter basterds

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Anyone imposing their situation on those around them are inconsiderate assholes. It is the same with adult drunks, only difference being the kids are not to blame, the parents facilitating it are.

How old was the kid? And, how old are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Ah now, that's a whole new level of inconsiderate behaviour. People looking in your direction, quietly, saying nothing. What utter basterds

I know, right?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

People looking in your direction, quietly, saying nothing

The irish way.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    How old was the kid? And, how old are you?

Maybe 5 for the child. What has my age got to do with it? Please don't be working towards I should be old enough to rise above it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Smondie wrote: »
    Good old adhd, where would we be without it?

Still labelling kids with an attention deficit disorder as little ****s who need manners and discipline.

My son doesn't have ADHD but believe me I can empathise with those who have the condition/ have children with it.

I've yet to meet a person who has a child with ADHD or autism say the same thing. Wonder why that is? Must be because they are all looking to label their bratty kids and excuse their poor parenting...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

John_Rambo wrote:
    A sock thrown at a table isn't that bad. I certainly wouldn't be annoyed.

Ah come off it. Having a worn sock thrown at you by a child you don't know when you trying to eat is not okay. Trying to justify it is just making it harder for anyone else to defend having kids in cafes and you are doing your side no favours.

Maybe 5 for the child. What has my age got to do with it? Please don't be working towards I should be old enough to rise above it

Well, maybe you're not old enough to rise above it and laugh it off. Did it ruin you're dinner? Did you have to leave?
    sup_dude wrote: »
    Ah come off it. Having a worn sock thrown at you by a child you don't know when you trying to eat is not okay. Trying to justify it is just making it harder for anyone else to defend having kids in cafes and you are doing your side no favours.

I'm not on any side Sup. I just don't think it's such an awful thing to happen in a family hotel at rush hour! Comparing a badly mannered five year old child with drunk adults is bizarre.

Well, maybe you're not old enough to rise above it and laugh it off. Did it ruin you're dinner? Did you have to leave?

Ha, I saw where you were going with that

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I don't care about socks, laughing, coming up to the table, staring, you can have a bit of fun with that. Kids are curious and that's fine, but if you think people should be happy to put up with long periods of high pitched screaming while you're trying to eat a meal... Just because you're trained your ears to block out at home, then you need to have a word with yourself. *

*Post does not apply to parents of children with special needs.

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »
    I don't care about socks, laughing, coming up to the table, staring, you can have a bit of fun with that. Kids are curious and that's fine, but if you think people should be happy to put up with long periods of high pitched screaming while you're trying to eat a meal... Just because you're trained your ears to block out at home, then you need to have a word with yourself. *

*Post does not apply to parents of children with special needs.

I'm a parent of a child with special needs and I wouldn't be happy to listen to one of my kids screeching during a meal out. It'd drive me nuts and I would be considering everyone else having to listen to it.

What doesn't help though are the tuts, stares and rude comments about your lack of parenting skills or how much of a brat your kid is being. People don't need to even say anything, the look says it all.

Ha, I saw where you were going with that

Very good. It's certainly the actions of a bold boy (unless there's other issues), if my kid did it at five years of age there'd be a walk out, a serious talking to and he'd have to come back in, walk up to you and apologise.

Did it ruin your dinner, did you have to leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

There seems to be an awful lot of empty spectrum between being a miserable, child-hater and having the spawn of the devil's cousin who has ADHD.

Probably because you can only be one of the other, based on this thread anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

I'm still laughing at the sock thing

I'm still laughing at the sock thing

I know. The horror! :eek: And it was a "used" sock!!!

John_Rambo wrote:
    I'm not on any side Sup. I just don't think it's such an awful thing to happen in a family hotel at rush hour! Comparing a badly mannered five year old child with drunk adults is bizarre.

Socks are sweaty and harbour all sorts of bacteria, especially on kids. It's not a walk out of the restaurant act, but it's not something the parents should have sat back and laughed at because it's not acceptable behaviour by any standard. Laughing, crying, running around I think most people can see past unless they just don't like kids. Having a worn sock thrown at them whilst eating is a different story though, and the parents reaction to it (and I'm gonna guess yours too, since you can't see why it would be a problem) is one surefire way to raise people's backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

I know. The horror! :eek: And it was a "used" sock!!!

Kid really put their foot in it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Very good. It's certainly the actions of a bold boy (unless there's other issues), if my kid did it at five years of age there'd be a walk out, a serious talking to and he'd have to come back in, walk up to you and apologise.

Did it ruin your dinner, did you have to leave?

You haven't said anything of worth yet, constantly changing the angle of attack to keep an argument going.

God forbid you might get found out.

Socks are sweaty and harbour all sorts of bacteria, especially on kids. It's not a walk out of the restaurant act, but it's not something the parents should have sat back and laughed at because it's not acceptable behaviour by any standard. Laughing, crying, running around I think most people can see past unless they just don't like kids. Having a worn sock thrown at them whilst eating is a different story though, and the parents reaction to it (and I'm gonna guess yours too, since you can't see why it would be a problem) is one surefire way to raise people's backs.

Just for the record, and because you admit you're simply guessing and not reading the thread properly

;)

And you're incorrect about kids feet, they're normally the non-dangerous type. They don't have the amount of bacteria that adults have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

Just for the record, and because you admit you're simply guessing and not reading the thread properly

;)

And you're incorrect about kids feet, they're normally the non-dangerous type. They don't have the amount of bacteria that adults have.
    Children's feet sweat more than adults.

• Advertisement

Pac1Man wrote: »
    You haven't said anything of worth yet, constantly changing the angle of attack to keep an argument going.

God forbid you might get found out.

I'll tell you something of worth. Copy and paste it and keep it on your phone so you can read it again and again. Then you'll thank me.

If you're going to visit family hotels at six pm for dinner, you're going to meet families, with kids, on holiday in a hotel. They're going to be excited, full of beans, rowdy, sometimes misbehaved.

PM me, or visit the Dublin City forum (I'm quiet well up on Dublin restaurants) and request a list of quiet eateries that don't really cater for families or are unsuitable for families.

God forbid, you might enjoy a quiet meal with soft music, good food, excellent service and a gentle, but convivial atmosphere!

It's going to be OK. I think she survived the sock assault.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I'll tell you something of worth. Copy and paste it and keep it on your phone so you can read it again and again. Then you'll thank me.

If you're going to visit family hotels at six pm for dinner, you're going to meet families, with kids, on holiday in a hotel. They're going to be excited, full of beans, rowdy, sometimes misbehaved.

PM me, or visit the Dublin City forum (I'm quiet well up on Dublin restaurants) and request a list of quiet eateries that don't really cater for families or are unsuitable for families.

God forbid, you might enjoy a quiet meal with soft music, good food, excellent service and a gentle, but convivial atmosphere!

Jaysus John, no need to wait. I'll thank you now if you'll rein it in! 'Nam was 41 years ago. People change. Let it go.

It's going to be OK. I think she survived the sock assault.
    Someone, you? Said "They don't have the amount of bacteria that adults have."

Just pointing out the sweat twice or three times more than adults.

Jaysus John, no need to wait. I'll thank you now if you'll rein it in! 'Nam was 41 years ago. People change. Let it go.

Touché! They drew first blood, not me!! YOU WEREN'T THERE MAN!

Are you still offended about someone on the internets story about someones kid throwing a sock at their table?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

It clearly isn't off the stones the brats are licking it.

Next time consider that you're probably sitting around parents who have gone to the trouble of hiring a babysitter, and are trying to enjoy a rare hour or two in adult, or non-screaming company.

I'm not aiming to please others by keeping my kids at home. And as has already been said, at a reasonable hour, one should expect kids unless you want to pay for that baby sitter and go to a fancy restaurant serving mini portions. So, please do excuse me if my priority is my family and not what others have spent on baby sitters.

I'm not inconsiderate of others, but I'm also not going to let my family life be ruled by some "adult" diners who insist on their quiet time in public. I said this in a similarly precious thread and I am saying it again.....If the establishment has a kids menu, expect kids and expect noise. Of course, I won't tolerate bad behaviour from any of my lot, but that's not to say that I expect them to be on mute to suit other people and their sometimes overly sensitive ears.

Are you suggesting that my kids are brats, or was that part of your post aimed elsewhere?
    Good old adhd, where would we be without it?

I realise I might get an infraction here, but you really are being a d!ck. Why would you even joke about that? Do you have any idea how stressful and upsetting it is for many parents who have kids with adhd?
    I had the misfortune to pass by the food hall upstairs in Liffey Valley today. It was full of youngsters high on sugar. It was a total nightmare.

My nightmares are usually a bit more scary than seeing a bunch of hyper kids around a food hall. :pac:
    I saw a sign the other day whitch I had to laugh at.

Trespassers wil be prosecuted.etc

PARENTS
    Please keep your children off this site.

I must get a picture of it the next time. Parents need special signs because they are special.

Did you not insinuate earlier that you had kids when someone suggested that you don't? Do you have kids? Do you know how many? Do they live with their mums?
    Cienciano wrote: »
    Wow, this thread was getting pretty stupid but this post has is a whole new level.

Yes, I think Smondie is going for the record and is building up quite a post count in the short time the account has been active.
    zedhead wrote: »
    You really think its ok for a child to throw a sock onto a complete strangers table while they are eating? And that the parents are right to laugh instead of apologise profusely?

I know this wasn't aimed at me, but even without proper context, the behaviour of the PARENTS in that case was terrible. I don't know what I would have done in the situation, but I wouldn't be happy with that carry on.
    I would have taken off my sock and flung it over to thier table, and demanded they pay for new food for my table. See how funny it was then.

No, you wouldn't have. At least bring some sort of substance to the thread. Every single post I have seen you post is just tripe and often insulting. How old are you? Serious question.

John_Rambo wrote:

What's with the sneery way of talking to people? That post was posted after I started to type mine and I didn't see it until I had mine posted.
    John_Rambo wrote:

They have more bacteria than adults, and it's not about the dangers but the disgust.

Touch ! They drew first blood, not me!! YOU WEREN'T THERE MAN!

Are you still offended about someone on the internets story about someones kid throwing a sock at their table?
    No, just imparting knowledge on how children work, to people with children who don't appear to know this type of thing :p

What's with the sneery way of talking to people? That post was posted after I started to type mine and I didn't see it until I had mine posted.

They have more bacteria than adults, and it's not about the dangers but the disgust.

I would be more concerned about people not washing their hands which is far more likely to make someone sick and far more common than a flippin sock on a table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

goz83 wrote: »
    How old are you? Serious question.

:eek::eek::eek:

Don't go there! You are virtually guaranteed at least an infraction for daring to highlight that the age demographic in AH's in relation to some issues, causes ****ing chaos!

Advertisement