Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids in Cafes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

gifted wrote: »
    No I'm not....anyone got a problem with my kids have a problem with me...their dad.

Being a dad doesn't give you the right to insult other people and tell them that the fact that they have no kids means nobody wants to be with them.

So you're miserable if you find a kid screaming its face off in your vicinity for ages while you're out doing your own thing annoying? Really?

Have MORE marshmallows you saint, you deserve them.

Yes, did you not know that anyone who is put out by screaming kids when they are trying to enjoy a relaxing coffee is a barren, infertile witch who harbours a secret desire to have kids of her own and who is so miserable and bitter about her own infertility that no man wants to be with her? :P (must remember to take my pill later)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Those kids will soon work and pay taxes and pension contributions. Meaning all the people complaining will be able to retire before they're 80. Be thankful those kids exist otherwise you'll have to work till you drop. Except no one will hire anyone over 50, so you'll be an unemployed bum.
    Plus they get to choose your home, so be nice!

Those kids will soon work and pay taxes and pension contributions. Meaning all the people complaining will be able to retire before they're 80. Be thankful those kids exist otherwise you'll have to work till you drop. Except no one will hire anyone over 50, so you'll be an unemployed bum.

We are working and paying for the pension of the generation before us, but we didn't wreck their fúckin heads when we were growing up. Also, its your own kids that choose your home. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Well.....some of them will work and pay taxes. Others are brought up to sponge off the welfare, get free houses and whatever can be got. They'll have more disposable income than the average person who pays tax, because of their undeclared work on the side. Sad, but very true. Again, this also comes down to parental responsibility. Monkey see, monkey do and all that. You live what you learn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

just by chance myself and the wife had a conversation about this very topic over the weekend . the conversation was started after the mess left behind by a family in the restaurant , food and drink all over the floor napkins torn up and thrown in to soup leftovers , forks bent .
    Herself and her sisters have all worked in the hotel /restaurant trade for the last 30 odd years and they have noticed a serious decline in the behaviour of children in restaurants. Years ago kids came in and were in the main part well behaved ,with mabey the odd hissy fit or row among kids which would be accepted as quiet normal with kids but it would usually only take a scowl from either parent to restore a reasonable amount of order.
    kids being kids will of course get bored , its what they do , and they will of course act the maggot and get a bit wound up . the problem is that some parents just don't seem to care any more .when i was a kid or a young teenager, if we were lucky enough to be brought for a meal or to a family occasion we were thought to respect the place we were in, the staff and other customers . nowadays a certain amount of people seem to think that anything 'MY KIDS' get up to is acceptable as long as i get to finish my meal and to hell with everyone else's right to a reasonable level of behaviour from others around

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

syklops wrote: »
    Nobody mentioned your special needs son. Why are you getting all butt-hurt?

I have a kid. We were in a cafe. Or was this relating to a specific kid, perhaps in a specific cafe? Maybe you had to be there? It was all funny. Honest.

And my bottom is a bit sore, but that's from the cycling machine last night in the gym. Other than that, I'm golden.

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Non Pc answer here but why should someone trying to enjoy a coffee have to put up with your "flappy special needs kid"

I was having a sandwich last week in a bistro and a kid with special needs walked right up to my table and kept asking me questions, while her mother laughed away with her friend saying how great and funny she is. A horrendously uncomfortable situation that ruined my lunch break.

That kid at least has an excuse for his lapse in the social niceties. What's yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

MarkR wrote: »
    That kid at least has an excuse for his lapse in the social niceties. What's yours?

His excuse is he wanted a quiet sandwich on his lunch break and didn't want to be bothered by someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

"Don't get annoyed at obnoxious kids because they'll pay taxes one day." Some absolute crackers being delivered on this thread. 10/10

As a side not though, people hypothetically being intolerant of a special needs kid is pretty dark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭Cordell

Ruu wrote: »
    My Jonny is an angle! :mad::mad:
    Aw that's soooo acute!

Cordell wrote: »
    Aw that's soooo acute!

I find this whole thing rather obtuse.

I'll get my coat :)

The_Mac wrote: »
    His excuse is he wanted a quiet sandwich on his lunch break and didn't want to be bothered by someone.

And so to guarantee that, he should have had his lunch in a locked room, where the world would not allow things of trivial nature to bother him.

The stuff that annoys me at cafes or restaurants are more along the lines of staff who saunter around the place in a daze, delaying the whole getting food on tables process and then asking (when your mouth is full of food) if everything is okay :mad:

Was in Eddie Rockets about 3 weeks ago. Bit of a rip off for what they serve, but I like the wings :P
    I was sat down at a very quiet time. There were maybe 10 customers in the place and the shrieking noises came from half a dozen women eating together. There were two quiet kids (under 5) with their Dad and a couple of people, like me, who just popped in for a quick lunch.

Waitress sat me down and before I could say I knew what I wanted, she was on her way over to her colleague for a chat. No problem....until about 5 long....hungry minutes later, she was still yapping away. Her colleague behind the counter spotted the build up of orders on the hot tray, as well as me impatiently waiting, so he took my order (a 10 second job) and began dispersing the food his colleague was oblivious to. He apologised for the delay, but the kicker.....while I was biting into a cajun chicken wing, covered in cheese sauce (yum) the young female waitress came over and asked if everything was ok. :pac:

I swear they must do it on purpose. Ah yes, I think I might go for some wings right about now. Starving I am.

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I find this whole thing rather obtuse.

I'll get my coat :)

We need to square things up then

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I was in a cafe on Monday with 6 kids.
    I was the one tickling them, throwing them around, making them wild, encouraging them to make noise.

http://cdn.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/MjAxMi0yZDcyYmVjZGZlMDRkNTlm.png

:):):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The_Mac wrote: »

A child asked him a question. That's an extremely difficult situation to deal with in fairness, I'd probably never be able to eat in public again in case the same thing happened again.
    I was on grafton street once and a tourist asked me for directions. I avoid the place altogether now

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Yellow pack crisps

Knob children, knob parents, knob childless people! I see a trend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Story Bud?

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/49735070.jpg

After Hours should be removed. It attracts the worst of us :D

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

Cienciano wrote: »
    A child asked him a question. That's an extremely difficult situation to deal with in fairness, I'd probably never be able to eat in public again in case the same thing happened again.
    I was on grafton street once and a tourist asked me for directions. I avoid the place altogether now

From the way it was worded, he said the child was constantly pestering him and the mother just looked on laughing while I assume he looked fair uncomfortable.

• Advertisement

Cordell wrote: »
    We need to square things up then

Feels like we're going around in circles tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭zedhead

Cienciano wrote: »

I don't know if thats altogether fair. A child continued to try to engage even though he was clearly uncomfortable and the parent just ignored it.

I have social anxiety and do not handle random conversation from anyone well. Something with a set a defined answer like requesting directions or the time is fine but someone just randomly trying to engage with me can bring on a panic attack. Totally my issue and I would never be intentionally rude to someone and do my best to be polite and engage whether they be a child or an adult. But if I am sitting somewhere enjoying my lunch and somebody comes up and just lands themself on me it can ruin my day/week. I don't think its unreasonable to teach your children that randomly chatting to strangers like this may not always be welcome, and may not always be safe.There are boundaries that need to be taught.

Who are you to judge what someone should and should accept and be comfortable with. Or what may or may not have been going on in their lives at that moment that means that interaction is more difficult.

Again none of this is the childrens fault - it is the parents failing to teach boundaries and excusing it as kids will be kids. These parents are in the minority. Most children in public do know boundaries and most parents in the situation would request that their child 'stops bothering the lady/man'. If someone is fine chatting to their kid at that point they can say whether it is bothering them or not.

Nobody expects kids to be perfect, but people do expect parents to react when kids do beahve in a socially unacceptable way.

zedhead wrote: »
    I don't know if thats altogether fair. A child continued to try to engage even though he was clearly uncomfortable and the parent just ignored it.

I have social anxiety and do not handle random conversation from anyone well. Something with a set a defined answer like requesting directions or the time is fine but someone just randomly trying to engage with me can bring on a panic attack. Totally my issue and I would never be intentionally rude to someone and do my best to be polite and engage whether they be a child or an adult. But if I am sitting somewhere enjoying my lunch and somebody comes up and just lands themself on me it can ruin my day/week. I don't think its unreasonable to teach your children that randomly chatting to strangers like this may not always be welcome, and may not always be safe.There are boundaries that need to be taught.

Who are you to judge what someone should and should accept and be comfortable with. Or what may or may not have been going on in their lives at that moment that means that interaction is more difficult.

Again none of this is the childrens fault - it is the parents failing to teach boundaries and excusing it as kids will be kids. These parents are in the minority. Most children in public do know boundaries and most parents in the situation would request that their child 'stops bothering the lady/man'. If someone is fine chatting to their kid at that point they can say whether it is bothering them or not.

Nobody expects kids to be perfect, but people do expect parents to react when kids do beahve in a socially unacceptable way.

Agree with this 100%.

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Feels like we're going around in circles tbh

Well, this is where I draw the line.

On topic: the parents need to look after the kinds. If they bother someone they have to step in, this in the right thing to do. This is what I do as I have that kind of kid that have no problem striking a conversation with a complete stranger.

I will point out, I watch my son like a hawk, and don't let him go up to people bothering them. Common courtesy really. If he's loud, I'll try to quieten him down. This has gone pretty far off topic, but I thought it was interesting anyway. Some people really really really do not like kids. And that's the personal feelings, which I've no issue with.

Kids are a part of life. Unless I'm mistaken, we were all kids at one stage. If you don't have kids, that's fine. If you don't want kids, that's fine. Just don't rant on the internet about kids being kids, and expect universal acclaim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

Is it not a bit weird to watch him lile a hawk when he's sitting at the table next to you. Someone sitting a foot away from you?

Unless he's not sitting, in which case servers coming with hot tea having to navigate around roamers is big risk.

Smondie wrote: »
    Is it not a bit weird to watch him lile a hawk when he's sitting at the table next to you. Someone sitting a foot away from you?

Unless he's not sitting, in which case servers coming with hot tea having to navigate around roamers is big risk.

No, it's not. If you had kids, you would know this. In a second, they can be off their seat, under table playing with whatever toys they have, or they could be on the other side of the restaurant if you turn away for a few seconds at the wrong time.

And servers need to be careful whether there are kids present or not. Anything could be in their way. Someone could drop a spoon and the server could slip and drench everyone with boiling hot tea. It's called being observant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Must be horrible to be a server when there is a crap family in. I always have a good look around the place before we take our seats to see if there's any crap families. You know the ones. Obnoxious, zero consideration for anyone else. Most people do, thankfully. Most people actually do have manners, but as soon as I spy a crap family. Nah. Outta there.

goz83 wrote: »
    Smondie wrote: »

No, it's not. If you had kids, you would know this. In a second, they can be off their seat, under table playing with whatever toys they have, or they could be on the other side of the restaurant if you turn away for a few seconds at the wrong time.

And servers need to be careful whether there are kids present or not. Anything could be in their way. Someone could drop a spoon and the server could slip and drench everyone with boiling hot tea. It's called being observant.
    If you are interacting with your child and sitting beside them you would notice if the start getting off the chair.

Accidents can happen and having children running round increases this

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I was in a cafe on Monday with 6 kids.
    I was the one tickling them, throwing them around, making them wild, encouraging them to make noise.

http://cdn.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/MjAxMi0yZDcyYmVjZGZlMDRkNTlm.png

:):):):):)
    What an odd this to boast about online. Why are you actively encouraging children to behave inappropriately? is Teaching manners and approiate behaviour too hard?

Advertisement