Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids in Cafes

Options

Comments

Sorry in advance. I do not like children, I am entitled to be like that.

Doesn't matter if they are well behaved or not. Out for me.

I make sure to take my holidays/breaks when they are at school, and to avoid weekends when they will be around me anywhere.

Ankle biters and snappers.

The lot of them, and the parents are worse.

I have a ten year old nephew with ASD. He is very well behaved, his parents made sure he was treated no differently to his non ASD brother from a behavioural point of view. If he ever has a "moment" when they are out, he is rescued from the situation pronto.

I do love him though, and his brother, two exceptions to the "I do not like children" rule.

The rest of the kids can go swing.

I don't have kids either and am not a huge fan but that "my nephews are the exception to the rule" just wiped every ounce of credibility off your post and maybe your profile too. Best to just keep quiet now, once a misanthrope and all that!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭keavebm

The worst thread I've seen in a long time.people must think they were angels growing up and never caused a tantrum.
    And if anyone shouted at my kids like one post said they certainly wouldn't do it a second time cause I'd break there face in and to all the people that say they hate kids grow the **** up small minded assholes. If any of ye forgot u were once there age

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

sup_dude wrote: »
    Why though? Ankle biters is hardly excessively offensive. Your reaction just seems entirely disproportional to what was said.

Calling them ankle biters is to compare kids to intemperate, little dogs. So I responded proportionately to HER post imo. Then there's also the inconsistency in what she claims....the whole not liking children. Well, a few seconds looking at the post history can show up a few colours, such as this one => http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98647586&postcount=172
    rusty cole wrote: »
    I don't have kids either and am not a huge fan but that "my nephews are the exception to the rule" just wiped every ounce of credibility off your post and maybe your profile too. Best to just keep quiet now, once a misanthrope and all that!

Well said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

gifted wrote: »
    Well then they are usually miserable irritable people....and I still never said I had the right to insult people,I have the right to have a personal opinion on these people...again though what i do have the right is to bring my kids into a cafe and not to be worried in case some person is irratated and let the kids enjoy their treat in a happy manner, hopefully thats not a self righteous attitude, if it is well then .....

Semantics. You said that people who are irritated by kids are miserable because nobody wants to be with them. You simply do not know if this is true. So opinion or otherwise, you can't assert it as a statement of fact.

goz83 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

nuff said there

No, they just need to know where they are not.

And now you supposedly have children? Hard to believe to be honest. Your sarcasm and condescension suggests you are just adding to the pile of tripe you've committed to. You've been a member here for less than a month and have racked up quite a post count, so if you have kids, they are all grown up and have (hopefully) moved out. Otherwise, you wouldn't have time to be on here so often.

There are plenty of parents on here devoting hours to bleating about their rights at "barren miserable" people...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

keavebm wrote: »
    The worst thread I've seen in a long time.people must think they were angels growing up and never caused a tantrum.
    And if anyone shouted at my kids like one post said they certainly wouldn't do it a second time cause I'd break there face in and to all the people that say they hate kids grow the **** up small minded assholes. If any of ye forgot u were once there age
    You would "break thier face"

Good parenting right there, no wonder kids are terrors of this is the example being shown.

Tbf though, there are genuinely a-holes out there who just really hate kids and think they can say or do what they like.
    I had an incident on a plane once a few years ago where my then 9 year old was playing on a Nintendo Ds WITH HEADPHONES ON and a woman who looked to be in her 30/40s turned around about 45 minutes into the flight and ROARED at him to "turn the fukcing thing off."
    He was doing nothing wrong, hadn't said a single word or wasn't making a sound.
    My child nearly jumped out of their skin with the fright.
    I can assure the good readers of ah where I told her to go.

To be fair yes she sounds like a wench and I am not disputing that. But how is she representative of every person who raises issue with a kid acting out? The only objection I had to the original post was the assertion that any person who gets irritated is by necessity a miserable person that nobody wants to be with. It is simply not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭gifted

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Semantics. You said that people who are irritated by kids are miserable because nobody wants to be with them. You simply do not know if this is true. So opinion or otherwise, you can't assert it as a statement of fact.

Can't you show me the quote where I specifically said that people irritated by kids please?....

Smondie wrote: »
    You would "break thier face"

Good parenting right there, no wonder kids are terrors of this is the example being shown.

Showing kids it's ok to use violence when someone says something you disagree with, and mixing up "their" and "there" - I don't know which is a worse lesson for the child - its a difficult one to call :P

Can't you show me the quote where I specifically said that people irritated by kids please?....

Why? So you can engage in more mental gymnastics to try to backtrack? We both know what you said. Do you think I made it up?

• Advertisement

I love it...watching other people looking over tut tuting...usually the people who don't have kids because they're so miserable that no one wants to be with them.....rock on kids with the noises, it's one of lifes happy sounds...

You're welcome.

You're welcome.

For what, you still haven't shown me the quote....your putting words together to suit yourself....I never said people irritated by kids....what I did say is for kids to rock on with the noises and it's one of life's happy sounds....if you have a problem with that well then.....

For what, you still haven't shown me the quote....your putting words together to suit yourself....I never said people irritated by kids....what I did say is for kids to rock on with the noises and it's one of life's happy sounds....if you have a problem with that well then.....

You said this:

"usually the people who don't have kids because they're so miserable that no one wants to be with them...."

Help us out then, what people were you referring to? :o

And trust me, nothing about your original post "suits me" because frankly I think it's a sweeping generalization.

You said this:

"usually the people who don't have kids because they're so miserable that no one wants to be with them...."

Please show me the quote...you stated I said something but you can't show me the quote

You said this:

And trust me, nothing about your original post "suits me" because frankly I think it's a sweeping generalization.[/quot

Frankly I don't care about your opinion but you seem to upset about my opinion...which I have a right to

You said this:

And trust me, nothing about your original post "suits me" because frankly I think it's a sweeping generalization.[/quot

Frankly I don't care about your opinion but you seem to upset about my opinion...which I have a right to

You still haven't told us what people you were referring to. That's all I want to know. If its not the people who are irritated by kids, who?

Right, I'm off back to work now...my work here is complete knowing that you seem to be upset with my opinion....but you could just be irritated...for any number of reasons...bye bye

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

OldNotWise & gifted.....agree to disagree yeah?
    Get back to discussing instead of arguing and semantics please for the sake of others reading the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

rusty cole wrote: »

Why do think that? He likes his nephews because they are part of his life and he has got to know them. He has chosen not to interact with other children because he has no interest in them. Tolerating other 'kids just being kids' is not his thing. I, for one, totally see where he is coming from

Right, I'm off back to work now...my work here is complete knowing that you seem to be upset with my opinion....but you could just be irritated...for any number of reasons...bye bye

You said people who are irritated by kids are miserable because nobody wants to be with them.

Then you denied it and said you weren't talking about people who are irritated by kids.

I asked you to clarify what people you were talking about and now you are running away because we both know I've called you out on a contradiction. It's ok, don't feel bad :)

I'm not irritated. On the face of it though, it seems you might be! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Smondie wrote: »
    Is it not a bit weird to watch him lile a hawk when he's sitting at the table next to you. Someone sitting a foot away from you?

Unless he's not sitting, in which case servers coming with hot tea having to navigate around roamers is big risk.

He often wants to get up for movement breaks. Walk around, look at interesting things.... I'm not (that) weird, I do things for a reason. Like making sure he doesn't help himself to a sip of someone else's drink or something! :)

I remember minding my godson one day (he was around 6 months old) and he threw such a whopper tantrum that I had to bring him into his mothers place of work for her to calm him down. People were staring at me as if I was murdering the kid. Horrible feeling and since that I am acutely aware of not looking at people who are struggling with babies or toddlers especially in shopping centres etc. It's already enough of a nightmare.

Edit: couldn't wait to hit the wine that night!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

There are plenty of parents on here devoting hours to bleating about their rights at "barren miserable" people...

Unfortunately, I would agree. They are probably not doing a great parenting job. The only thing that allows me to randomly pop in and out of here is that I spend alot of time working online and boards is a mini break when I need it.
    I remember minding my godson one day (he was around 6 months old) and he threw such a whopper tantrum that I had to bring him into his mothers place of work for her to calm him down. People were staring at me as if I was murdering the kid. Horrible feeling and since that I am acutely aware of not looking at people who are struggling with babies or toddlers especially in shopping centres etc. It's already enough of a nightmare.

Edit: couldn't wait to hit the wine that night!

Amen. And I think that post should conclude the thread :)

Says someone who knows nothing about Aspergers...

My son with autism can have bad behaviour because he's a child and they ALL behave in ways they shouldn't at some point. He also can have challenging behaviours due to his Autism which can cause sensory overload. He doesn't smash his own head off a wall because he's a brat.

I personally don't blame my sons spectrum disorder on his behaviour. It's a reason, not an excuse. It's generally people who haven't got a clue what they are talking about that throw the bad parenting line about.

I hope you never have to walk the same mile and have someone call you a bad parent, when you know you do everything you possibly can and then some.
    I think you're misunderstanding the point I'm making, and needlessly victimising yourself here. Nobody called you a bad parent. I have no idea whether you're a good parent or not, and to be honest it's not important.

The only point I was making is that in my experience, legitimate behavioural disorders get blamed for each negative behaviour, just because a child has a behavioural disorder. Others have mentioned it to me in relation to their experiences with Aspergers, I can only vouch for my experience with ADHD.
    Err yes it can explain a lot actually.
    Of course it can explain 'a lot'. But every instance of misbehaviour should not be blamed on a disorder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Having lunch earlier and there was two men sitting at a two person table while the 10ish old was sitting by himself at a four person table playing computer games on what sounded like full volume.
    Some people parents or not just have no consideration for others. I always make my fella use headphones or keep volume very low when he plays games in a cafe. I would never let him take a table to himself especially at peak lunch time when others want a table.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭blackwhite

It's very easy to identify the posters on here who are the type of parents that will automatically blame teachers/the school/anyone in striking distance when their child behaves like their parents a sh*t in school.

*don't bow down and worship my kids - well then that's clearly an invitation for an aggressive abusive response*

And then they wonder why people are complaining about their kids? It's fairly obvious where they've learnt the sh*tty behaviour from :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Back in my day we were given a good dose of gripe water and that kept us quiet! :D Think it's banned now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Firefox11 wrote: »
    Back in my day we were given a good dose of gripe water and that kept us quiet! :D Think it's banned now!

Nah just they took the alcohol out of it ;)

Reading the various posts got me thinking....

I have kids, but have always tried my best to make sure they are not annoying to anyone else.

I think they are fantastic...but appreciate not everyone does.

Anyway , lived in the U.S for a few years and over there its fair game if your kid is being a pain , and you don't get there first, for another adult to 'tick them off'.

Would seem that would be a red rag to a bull to certain aggressive posters here.

But think about it...in general, (and I stress that) Americans are more respectful. Certainly the kids don't act the maggot anyway near as much in cafes etc. It just isn't tolerated.

I honestly think we have become a very disrespectful society. One of the most shocking things I read this week was about the teen age boys who urinated on the homeless man in Dublin and laughed.

laughed????

But honestly, I think there are some posters on here who would defend their kid and excuse their kid if that did something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

It takes a community to raise a child as the old saying goes. Parents don't want to know that though.

Advertisement