Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids in Cafes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

Sure there were no cafes in this country in the 1980s.
    Maybe there was one on the southside somewhere.
    For Charlie to take his fluzzies to.

If they even thought of letting childers past the door then their phones would be bugged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Ted111 wrote: »
    Sure there were no cafes in this country in the 1980s.
    Maybe there was one on the southside somewhere.
    For Charlie to take his fluzzies to.

If they even thought of letting childers past the door then their phones would be bugged.

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

syklops wrote: »
    Give me a break.

No, I don't think so.

I'm perfectly entitled to as much of a say as yourself.

Relax. It's hardly earth shattering.

I can't stand these threads that assume all kids are brats and all parents are inconsiderate slobs. You couldn't make generalizations like that about any other sector of society without (rightly) being rounded on.

Nobody likes badly behaved children, especially if their parents ignore the disturbance they cause, but they're rare enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

learn_more wrote: »
    I like to go out for the occasional coffee either by myself or with friends. Impossible nowadays to find a cafe that doesn't have the atmosphere of a school playground or a creche.

Maybe parents live in a dream-world where they believe that other patrons are only too happy to see their little darlings re-enact world war 2 with some plastic toys they've given them. I recall a time when kids were given things to shut them up - not to give them an opportunity to make even more noise.

And visually, it's the way the really mess up their table with crumbs, straws, sweet wrappers, on the plates , on the tables, on the seats, on the ground, while their parents light up and gossip; giving the occasional roar as to give the impression their being responsible parents. Really not the type of environment a grown adult would like to spend his or her time in.

I really think cafe owners should take some responsibility for all this. It's in their interest to come to a better arrangement after all. A one kid per table policy would be reasonable and wouldn't it make financial sense to have more paying adults seated that to have low spending riff raff sullying their establishment who scare off the more desirable clientèle ! I was never taken to cafes when I was a child. And quite right too. It's just a total lack of consideration that parents have these days which is a sign of our times. Sigh.

Children are humans

Children have just as much right to be there as you do, although it would appear you think that you have some superior right to be there

The only lack of consideration I see here from your perspective

Seems to me you've got some growing up to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Well, Mc Donalds coffee is manky and if I don't get my coffee it's very likely I'll beat everyone around me who looks at me funny to death with said children and I'm a "bad mother" if I go into a bar and order a gin and tonic - so really, it's in everyones best interests that I be allowed into a cafe with my child.

If kids arent supposed to be in cafes then why do they do kids specials? Cafes are traditionally a family thing. Go to Spain or France and you'll see that.

Also, really? A manky dog that sticks it's nose in ****e every chance it gets sitting in a cafe? Barf.
    And don't even try to say your dog doesn't do that or I'll laugh at you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Story Bud?

there was a wickle kid in aldi just now singing at the top of her voice.

WINKLE WINKLE WITTLE STAW.

Awwww she was the CUTEST.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

No, I don't think so.

I'm perfectly entitled to as much of a say as yourself.

Relax. It's hardly earth shattering.

I never questioned your right to speak FFS.

Well, Mc Donalds coffee is manky and if I don't get my coffee it's very likely I'll beat everyone around me who looks at me funny to death with said children and I'm a "bad mother" if I go into a bar and order a gin and tonic - so really, it's in everyones best interests that I be allowed into a cafe with my child.

If kids arent supposed to be in cafes then why do they do kids specials? Cafes are traditionally a family thing. Go to Spain or France and you'll see that.

Also, really? A manky dog that sticks it's nose in ****e every chance it gets sitting in a cafe? Barf.
    And don't even try to say your dog doesn't do that or I'll laugh at you.

My dog doesn't do that. She's the perfick pooch. Manky indeed. How very dare you.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

pone2012 wrote: »

Children have just as much right to be there as you do

Nuh uh. My café, my rules. Oot ta fack kiddiewinks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Give me a break.

What's a break? I'm too busy trying to keep my ASD son quiet in case he may offend your precious ears.

In all seriousness though, for the most part parents do their best. Life is not always as simple or black and white as you want to think. My son by no means gets away with bad manners, rudeness or any crappy behaviour. However some tolerance and understanding is truly appreciated when the behaviour he physically cannot help occurs (due to sensory overload). We have to teach him how to cope in this noisy world and we can't do that by staying at home.

I will never forgot leaving a supermarket in tears with my son screaming and kicking me and getting tutted at by those who obviously had me down as one of those "bad parents" with a 'bratty child'. I only go to family orientated places with my kids so I don't feel like I'm ruining other people's peace and quiet or that all eyes are on me if there is some giddiness or god forbid a meltdown.

Try for a second to imagine how stressful it can be for the person.

This thread was done not too long ago anyway. Someone had their lunch ruined by a father making his child shriek with laughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

learn_more wrote: »
    I like to go out for the occasional coffee either by myself or with friends. Impossible nowadays to find a cafe that doesn't have the atmosphere of a school playground or a creche.

Why don't you invite all of your friends around to your place for coffee? You can all have a bitch fest about parents and children there uninterrupted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It's annoying if it turns into a bit of a circus. Not the kids' fault, a cafe must be such a boring place to be for an hour, which I've seen parents do. Switch off the part of their ears that hears their kids shouting, so they can have a natter.

Maybe a good pub is just a better place to have a coffee these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Story Bud? wrote: »
    there was a wickle kid in aldi just now singing at the top of her voice.

WINKLE WINKLE WITTLE STAW.

Awwww she was the CUTEST.

There was a ruby king charles on the beach earlier. I little person waddled up to it roaring ''MUMMY MUMMY LOOKIT THE BABY LION''

Awww.

I'd love to be able to bring my dog out for coffee. When's this seaside place open?

What's a break? I'm too busy trying to keep my ASD son quiet in case he may offend your precious ears.

In all seriousness though, for the most part parents do their best. Life is not always as simple or black and white as you want to think. My son by no means gets away with bad manners, rudeness or any crappy behaviour. However some tolerance and understanding is truly appreciated when the behaviour he physically cannot help occurs (due to sensory overload). We have to teach him how to cope in this noisy world and we can't do that by staying at home.

I will never forgot leaving a supermarket in tears with my son screaming and kicking me and getting tutted at by those who obviously had me down as one of those "bad parents" with a 'bratty child'. I only go to family orientated places with my kids so I don't feel like I'm ruining other people's peace and quiet or that all eyes are on me if there is some giddiness or god forbid a meltdown.

Try for a second to imagine how stressful it can be for the person.

This thread was done not too long ago anyway. Someone had their lunch ruined by a father making his child shriek with laughter.

The first posters to mention special needs children were the parents of special needs children. Ive seen lots of examples of badly behaved children in the last couple of weeks - none of them were special needs, they were just badly behaved with parents who didnt care to try and do anything. And no-one is talking about a bit of giddiness. Few people would have a problem with kids being kids. Ear-piercing screeching is not ok. Parents who ignore that and think its fine are the problem.

Everyone has things going on in their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

Lucyfur wrote: »
    There was a ruby king charles on the beach earlier. I little person waddled up to it roaring ''MUMMY MUMMY LOOKIT THE BABY LION''

Awww.

I'd love to be able to bring my dog out for coffee. When's this seaside place open?

Give it a couplea years. You can be in charge of the dog snack choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

My dog doesn't do that. She's the perfick pooch. Manky indeed. How very dare you.

Hahahahahahahaha :pac: HA!

You're dog does too and you know it.

The first posters to mention special needs children were the parents of special needs children. Ive seen lots of examples of badly behaved children in the last couple of weeks - none of them were special needs, they were just badly behaved with parents who didnt care to try and do anything. And no-one is talking about a bit of giddiness. Few people would have a problem with kids being kids. Ear-piercing screeching is not ok. Parents who ignore that and think its fine are the problem.

Everyone has things going on in their lives.

That's not the point. You're missing it entirely.

Having some tolerance and understanding for people in general is the point.

My son, to other people is just a brat going ballistic when he has a meltdown. I don't carry a sign around saying my son has autism.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

s4uv3 wrote: »
    Give it a couplea years. You can be in charge of the dog snack choices.

Oh I'm good at that. So I am. Hippy doggy treats for everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's great being in cafés with your kids and watching angry strangers glare at yours kids but are afraid to make eye contact with you. You know they're raging within themselves and possibly rant on the internet about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭SteM

People that type 'sigh' in their posts are far worse than noisy kids imo. You'd be banned from my cafe op.

SteM wrote: »
    People that type 'sigh' in their posts are far worse than noisy kids imo. You'd be banned from my cafe op.

You just did it though :eek:

SteM wrote: »

*hug* :)

That's not the point. You're missing it entirely.

My son, to other people is just a brat going ballistic when he has a meltdown. I don't carry a sign around saying my son has autism.

I think you are the one missing the point. I can tell the difference between bad behavior and a kid with special needs having a meltdown. Its really not difficult to spot. This is a thread about badly behaved children and indifferent parents. So again, I'm not sure why you are getting annoyed as neither you nor your son are in that category.

Sorry, doesn't happen on AH. People can't moan about certain sectors of society now so they're stuck with moaning about kids in cafes.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Thinly veiled we're not parents thread

Thinly veiled don't know what contraception is for post.

You just did it though :eek:

Nope, I copied and pasted the OP's one. I didn't type it myself.

I think you are the one missing the point. I can tell the difference between bad behavior and a kid with special needs having a meltdown. Its really not difficult to spot. This is a thread about badly behaved children and indifferent parents. So again, I'm not sure why you are getting annoyed as neither you nor your son are in that category.

You can always tell?

Interesting bexcuse I've often heard people say they didn't realise my son has asd. He doesn't look any different to anyone else and when a kid kicks off how do you distinguish? Unless you have direct experience with those with additional needs you may be able to tell the difference between a child in sensory overload and a child having a wobbly over not getting an ice-cream. Or maybe the child with asd is having a wobbly over not getting an ice cream!

It's actually irrelevant when it's in a public place where families can go. Kids can be unpredictable at the best of times. Even the best parents will have to deal with little John and Mary going loola once in a while.

I don't want my child being treated differently to other kids. I just think people in general need to exercise a bit of cop on, sometimes things are not so simple.

You can always tell?

Interesting bexcuse I've often heard people say they didn't realise my son has asd. He doesn't look any different to anyone else and when a kid kicks off how do you distinguish? Unless you have direct experience with those with additional needs you may be able to tell the difference between a child in sensory overload and a child having a wobbly over not getting an ice-cream. Or maybe the child with asd is having a wobbly over not getting an ice cream!

It's actually irrelevant when it's in a public place where families can go. Kids can be unpredictable at the best of times. Even the best parents will have to deal with little John and Mary going loola once in a while.

I don't want my child being treated differently to other kids. I just think people in general need to exercise a bit of cop on, sometimes things are not so simple.

A post recommending cop on that seems to ignore cop on. You talk about kids kicking off and having a meltdown. How do I distinguish? Well its pretty damn obvious when a kid is kicking off and when they are just badly behaved.

And again no-one mentioned meltdowns until you did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

A post recommending cop on that seems to ignore cop on. You talk about kids kicking off and having a meltdown. How do I distinguish? Well its pretty damn obvious when a kid is kicking off and when they are just badly behaved.

And again no-one mentioned meltdowns until you did.

Urrgh! Definitely banned from my cafe, give me a screaming child any day and I'm not a huge children fan.

Advertisement