Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids in Cafes

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

learn_more wrote: »
    I really think cafe owners should take some responsibility for all this. It's in their interest to come to a better arrangement after all.

Or maybe, seeing as how the place was so crammed with kids, the cafe makes a lot more money from families than it does from customers without children with them. Your continued custom could easily be of lesser value than that of the clientele you want to be limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Bendihorse wrote: »
    Urrgh! Definitely banned from my cafe, give me a screaming child any day and I'm not a huge children fan.

Why am I banned from your cafe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

syklops wrote: »
    Why am I banned from your cafe?

Because it's mine and I don't like your reasoning on this topic ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Just go to another cafe if it bothers people so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 adovemt

learn_more - what a fitting username.
    For me personally, I bring my kids to cafes so that they can absorb the culture and class radiating from people just like you (based on your thread history at least).

I can understand why you weren't brought to cafes.
    If you were my child, I wouldn't take you to cafes either.

• Advertisement

Bendihorse wrote: »
    Because it's mine and I don't like your reasoning on this topic ;)

Bringing reason to a conversation. What a crime I have committed.

I love that Srameen liked this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

kids in cafes are cnuts because they are let be cnuts! nothing more annoying tbh, some parents are assholes and resent childless people so torture everyone with their little angels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Ruu wrote: »
    My Jonny is an angle

Right.

kids in cafes are cnuts because they are let be cnuts! nothing more annoying tbh, some parents are assholes and resent childless people so torture everyone with their little angels.

The voice of reason at last!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Lets be honest, the country is packed with young parents who, unlike their own parent's generation, have little interest in putting manners on their kids or teaching them how to behave in public. Whereas years ago parents would be mortified about a kid going apeshít and causing a scene in a café, nowadays the prevailing sentiment appears to be a mixture of contempt for people who would dare to object to their kids going crazy and a resignation theres nothing they can do to stop it anyway so fúck it, shure what harm.

Roll on September is all I can say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Lucyfur wrote: »
    There was a ruby king charles on the beach earlier. I little person waddled up to it roaring ''MUMMY MUMMY LOOKIT THE BABY LION''

Awww.

I'd love to be able to bring my dog out for coffee. When's this seaside place open?

In the land of the well behaved cafe children (France) you can bring your dog inside as you used to be able to in English pubs. My two would be way better behaved than most children.

PS I want to steal your user name :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Maybe we should stop people having kids so they won't annoy people in cafe's.

Will be the end of the human race but sure can't beat a good coffee in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

If you want a quiet coffee stay in your Ikea kitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Maybe we should stop people having kids so they won't annoy people in cafe's.

Will be the end of the human race but sure can't beat a good coffee in peace.

or maybe parents could start parenting their kids and everyone wins

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

i started drinkin coffee when i was eight and it didn't do me any harm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 El Caffo

There's a market out there for an adults only cafe. Get me Bill Cullen on the blower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

syklops wrote: »
    A post recommending cop on that seems to ignore cop on. You talk about kids kicking off and having a meltdown. How do I distinguish? Well its pretty damn obvious when a kid is kicking off and when they are just badly behaved.

And again no-one mentioned meltdowns until you did.

Noise, laughter, meltdowns.

Someone, somewhere is always bothered and or offended and entitled.

Bloody hell if I want peace and quiet I avoid family places like the plague, and I'm parent! I don't expect other people's children to be mutes in case it sets off a migraine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

MarkR wrote:
    I'm just back from the shops with my son. Suffice to say, he gets flappy when he's happy. Special needs with sensory issues. But you go ahead and tut tut into your buttered scone while judging people. Must be great to be you.

Non Pc answer here but why should someone trying to enjoy a coffee have to put up with your "flappy special needs kid"

I was having a sandwich last week in a bistro and a kid with special needs walked right up to my table and kept asking me questions, while her mother laughed away with her friend saying how great and funny she is. A horrendously uncomfortable situation that ruined my lunch break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Candie wrote: »
    I can't stand these threads that assume all kids are brats and all parents are inconsiderate slobs. You couldn't make generalizations like that about any other sector of society without (rightly) being rounded on.

Nobody likes badly behaved children, especially if their parents ignore the disturbance they cause, but they're rare enough.

Oh come on, if you follow that logic all the way to the end then you couldn't say anything about anyone anymore at all. Every time we start a sentence with something like 'it's because people these days...' its a generalisation. The thing with generalisations is that you will find a lot of people who think the generalisation doesn't apply to them, but they still are 'in general' true. Generalisations don't talk about you or me, they talk about society averages, perceived or real. If you let your kids run riot you don't need to be in the majority to be a nuisance to many others. Years ago no one let their kids run riot. So if only 10% do it now it would feel like 'most of them'.

coffe is one thing, bvut i was driving thru a shopping center last week, around 8/30 am and i seen a 5 year old child drinking a can of redbull

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

jcd5971 wrote:
    I was having a sandwich last week in a bistro and a kid with special needs walked right up to my table and kept asking me questions, while her mother laughed away with her friend saying how great and funny she is. A horrendously uncomfortable situation that ruined my lunch break.
    You shouldn't be allowed out in public you miserable person. If a hot girl came up and started flirting with you would it have been am embarrassing conversation? Why can't you just take people on their merits and enjoy meaningful interactions and stop being a lousy intolerant misanthrope. I suppose you think she should be institutionalised. People like you are the reason special needs people were for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

XR3i wrote: »
    coffe is one thing, bvut i was driving thru a shopping center last week, around 8/30 am and i seen a 5 year old child drinking a can of redbull

You went driving in a shopping centre & you think a kid drinking red bull was bad !!

:P

Kids can have meltdowns, that doesn't give the parents the right to ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

My Jonny is an angle! :mad::mad:

Sorry to hear that!!

Was he killed by a disgruntled cafe owner?

You shouldn't be allowed out in public you miserable person. If a hot girl came up and started flirting with you would it have been am embarrassing conversation? Why can't you just take people on their merits and enjoy meaningful interactions and stop being a lousy intolerant misanthrope. I suppose you think she should be institutionalised. People like you are the reason special needs people were for so long.

A "hot girl" as you say wouldn't approach me while I'm quietly sitting at my table reading the paper and having lunch.

It was clear I had no interest in this fiasco as I ignored the child completely, yet the mother was too thick or ignorant to reign the child in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

jcd5971 wrote:
    It was clear I had no interest in this fiasco as I ignored the child completely, yet the mother was too thick or ignorant to reign the child in.
    "This fiasco" presumably being a special needs child trying to make friends. That just says it all.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    You went driving in a shopping centre & you think a kid drinking red bull was bad !!

:P

Kids can have meltdowns, that doesn't give the parents the right to ignore them.

redbull gives you wings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

"This fiasco" presumably being a special needs child trying to make friends. That just says it all.

Ah come off it man. Not everyone wants to be bothered by children during they lunch break, special needs or not. Doesn't make them Darth Vader.

Fiasco being parent not parenting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭ollaetta

My Jonny is an angle! :mad::mad:

So does he grind the coffee? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

jcd5971 wrote: »
    A "hot girl" as you say wouldn't approach me while I'm quietly sitting at my table reading the paper and having lunch.

Did you think of having a quiet word with the mother, as anyone might do if any child is doing something inappropriate?

Advertisement