Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids in Cafes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Sapphire

I haven't read the 8 pages of the usual shyte these threads bring up, but it always seems that some people are exceptionally unlucky. A child has never ruined a meal or even annoyed me in a cafe or restaurant for as long as I can remember. Some people are really unlucky or really sensitive.

Lots of children behave well in a cafe or restaurant. I take my child all the time and nobody pays a blind bit of notice. Because I bring little toys to play with or a small colouring book and crayons, has been taught to sit quietly at mealtimes and use an indoor voice.

What I have seen, and it grinds my gears is when a child asks the parent something nice and politely and gets totally ignored. Then you see them say "Mommy? /Daddy?" several times over and over all the while getting totally ignored. Then when they finally lose patience with their parent dossing on Facebook and get upset and go "MOMMMEEEEE" they get roared or snapped at. If the parent had just bloody well answered them in the first place, they wouldn't get so worked up. You'd be beyond pissed off if your supervisor ignored you the 10 times you called their name and you know that they heard you just fine, but its ok to do it to your child. :confused:
    Kids are always approaching me smiling and chattering. It's not nice to ignore them as they aren't used to the world yet. Give them a little piece of happiness at least. I can't understand the sentiment of some people.

Oh, you cant win on that one. People get offended when a parent lets their kid natter to you in a cafe. Or get offended if they tell the kid to stay away from that man because of the implication that Mam/Dad thinks you are some sort of crazy peado weirdo if you happen to say hello to a kid.
    boobar wrote: »
    I've had a few nights ruined by adults behaving badly in pubs, being abusive, sloppy and a general nuisance.

Why can't their friends/partners/barstaff/management keep them in check?

And they have no excuse because they are old enough to know better...

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

Ban all kids from public places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

I hate cafes that allow childless adults on their premises!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

MadDog76 wrote: »
    I hate cafes that allow childless adults on their premises!

Such selfish beings! Don't know what they're missing/not really living until they've kids etc... etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Grayditch wrote: »
    Yep.

You're not allowed to even casually complain about unruly children or youre a BARREN, BITTER, WITCH WHO DESPISES THE MIRACLE OF CHILDBIRTH!

It seems like a comment about one kid is an attack on all them sometimes. Hilarious defensiveness!

TBH - I tend to think anyone who responds like that is just extremely self-aware of their own failings as a parent, and the aggressive response is just defensiveness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yep.

You're not allowed to even casually complain about unruly children or youre a BARREN, BITTER, WITCH WHO DESPISES THE MIRACLE OF CHILDBIRTH!

It seems like a comment about one kid is an attack on all them sometimes. Hilarious defensiveness!
    Of course you can complain. And people are allowed to reply with counter arguments. Welcome to a discussion board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Yep.

I read it the other way. One kid upsets the OP et al and all kids are branded as porridge chucking, wailing, screaming nuisances.

I'm still thinking about dogs in a café.

Urgh. Disgusting.

What is it about cat owners, hamster owners and goldfish owners that they don't need to inflict their pets on others?

I guess people see things differently from different perspectives. Good to have all voices heard eh?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

inforfun wrote: »
    Apparently every kid nowadays is not complete unless it gets a special needs label or acronym stuck on it and then can do as it pleases.

The workforce will be fun in about 10/15 years.

Are you for real?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Urgh. Disgusting.

What is it about cat owners, hamster owners and goldfish owners that they don't need to inflict their pets on others?
    On a rainy day it's hard to beat the smell of wet dog as you bite into your sandwich.

Cienciano wrote: »
    On a rainy day it's hard to beat the smell of wet dog as you bite into your sandwich.

Licking its balls and scratching itself, so you can just imagine the fleas being hurled everywhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

I'm still thinking about dogs in a caf .

Urgh. Disgusting.

Fairly standard on the continent to allow dogs.

Children also allowed but I find in General continental parents more ready, willing and able to parent thier children.

Cat owners are too busy letting thier cats **** in thier neighbours gardens to bring them out to a cafe

Dogs are infinitely sounder than the average Irish child though, so you have to take that into consideration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

In my day we got a fish supper to carry out between five of us on the 15th of August and we were damn glad of it. Glass bottle of Football Special and five straws with it if we were lucky. And that was that for the year. It's Christmas every day for kids now.

It's far from cafes we were reared.

Dogs are infinitely sounder than the average Irish child though, so you have to take that into consideration.
    I've never seen a dog **** in a cafe, but I have seen a child do it, while the parents looked on proudly. Then then sit in thier **** until lattes are finished and nappies are changed. Disgustng

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I usually bring my toddler to a soft play cafe where the parents can get a coffee and the kids can run around and go mad. Happy days, they will sleep tonight.

However, if i am not in the area of such a cafe, or if i want to meet a friends and have toddler with me, or if i fancy going to a normal cafe, i will; and that's how it should be. Non-parents have no intrinsic right to any particular cafe, and i have just as much right to frequent a cafe with my kid as anyone else.

Any cafe owner that would refuse people with kids coming into their cafe would be idiotic and soon out of business, i reckon.

Bet ya passed on the double chocolate brownie after that.

Pter wrote: »
    I usually bring my toddler to a soft play cafe where the parents can get a coffee and the kids can run around and go mad. Happy days, they will sleep tonight.

However, if i am not in the area of such a cafe, or if i want to meet a friends and have toddler with me, or if i fancy going to a normal cafe, i will; and that's how it should be. Non-parents have no intrinsic right to any particular cafe, and i have just as much right to frequent a cafe with my kid as anyone else.

Any cafe owner that would refuse people with kids coming into their cafe would be idiotic and soon out of business, i reckon.
    Parents also have the 'right' to teach thier children how to behave in a proper cafe vs a padded cafe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Well, Mc Donalds coffee is manky and if I don't get my coffee it's very likely I'll beat everyone around me who looks at me funny to death with said children and I'm a "bad mother" if I go into a bar and order a gin and tonic - so really, it's in everyones best interests that I be allowed into a cafe with my child.

One of my most hated phrases..."If I don't get my coffee..." :mad: :mad:

Coffee addiction is okay, yet people raise eyebrows when I want my early morning alcohol hit. :confused:;)
    If kids arent supposed to be in cafes then why do they do kids specials? Cafes in France and Spain are traditionally a family thing. Go to Spain or France and you'll see that.
    My first ever 'FYP'!!

Cafés aren't exactly a traditional thing in Ireland, even though it's probably going that way now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Urgh. Disgusting.

Welcome to your nightmare.
    http://maisondemoggy.com/

Smondie wrote: »
    Parents also have the 'right' to teach thier children how to behave in a proper cafe vs a padded cafe

I would say they have a responsibility to do so, but since kids are actually sentient human beings who, like everyone else, don't do what they are told 100% of the time, there is only so much you can do in terms of teaching them how to behave.

Or else they would do a roaring trade with people who want to drink & eat in peace.

Surely there's enough room for both?

I would say they have a responsibility to do so, but since kids are actually sentient human beings who, like everyone else, don't do what they are told 100% of the time, there is only so much you can do in terms of teaching them how to behave.

Any good parent will remove them from the situation if they are not doing as told. Instead of this, shrug shoulders, sure they can't be expected to do what they're told. This weak, ineffective parenting style is becoming more prevalent. No wonder many children have no respect for thier parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

I like children but not the bad mannered ones and I blame the parents entirely for that.

Its not just the restaurants,its also the supermarkets and shops,children well over five years allowed to run around shouting at the top of their voices,you can hear them before you see them.Why can't they be told to be quiet and not behave like they are in a playground.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Grayditch wrote:

I read it the other way. One kid upsets the OP et al and all kids are branded as porridge chucking, wailing, screaming nuisances.

I've seen both of these on this thread and very little in between.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I say more a responsibility and a duty than a right.

Me and my mates are heading to the local play centre for lunch. We've no children with us but we intend being as loud and as obnoxious as possible. I wonder how long before we're asked to leave? No protected status for us!

Any good parent will remove them from the situation if they are not doing as told. Instead of this, shrug shoulders, sure they can't be expected to do what they're told. This weak, ineffective parenting style is becoming more prevalent. No wonder many children have no respect for thier parents.

And thus they are taught that if they want to move or get mum or dad to bring them somewhere, all they have to do is throw a fit. Its not weak, ineffective parenting, it's taking a longer view to the childs development and how they are taught.

Your suggestion that the parent just ups and removes the child only reinforces the bad behaviour that people dont like (in this thread).

• Advertisement

Me and my mates are heading to the local play centre for lunch. We've no children with us but we intend being as loud and as obnoxious as possible. I wonder how long before we're asked to leave? No protected status for us!

So you are equating your intellect and social skills to those of a child?

Advertisement