Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids in Cafes

Options

Comments

gifted wrote: »
    No I'm not....anyone got a problem with my kids have a problem with me...their dad.

Ooh & I bet your little johnny & Mary never do anything wrong.......

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭yellowcandle

Isolt wrote: »
    It really cheers me up to see happy children when I'm out and about. Reminds me to appreciate the simple things, like how happy they get when they see marshmallows in their hot chocolate!

I'm a mother myself though and in general I'm not really that miserable so I'm not bothered by other people's children.

So you're miserable if you find a kid screaming its face off in your vicinity for ages while you're out doing your own thing annoying? Really?

Have MORE marshmallows you saint, you deserve them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭gifted

bubblypop wrote: »
    Ooh & I bet your little johnny & Mary never do anything wrong.......

They don't but then again their not Johnny and Mary....lol lol

gifted wrote: »
    They don't but then again their not Johnny and Mary....lol lol

Yea but even when they do, your their dad, so anyone with a problem has to go through you right?
    So basically your kids can do whatever they like because you will always back them up.
    Which is probably why they will do whatever they like

s4uv3 wrote: »
    When I open my seaside café, children under ten will not be allowed in. The sign will say "LEAVE YOUR STICKY SNOTTY ****S AT HOME PLEASE"
    Well behaved dogs are allowed though.

On holiday in France last week, I passed a restaurant that had a sign (obviously in French) stating that only well behaved children were welcomed.

Needless to say...that's where I went for dinner that evening :)

Though to be honest, I find French, German kids etc better behaved than their Irish and English counterparts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

Ha pretentious moi.... I wouldn't darken the door of a dump with such a stupid sign up... oh please tolerate my children while I pay through the nose for the pleasure

Ha pretentious moi.... I wouldn't darken the door of a dump with such a stupid sign up... oh please tolerate my children while I pay through the nose for the pleasure

Fantastic! You sound like the kind of person who should be barred too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

Fantastic! You sound like the kind of person who should be barred too!

Yea probably

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭yellowcandle

was in shop earlier with this man and his kid. The kid was fine, but the man was so hell bent on getting all the attention he could for being a positive, wonderful dad who loved his kids. It was pathetic in a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Though to be honest, I find French, German kids etc better behaved than their Irish and English counterparts.

I feel like a Battle Royale would fit well here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

I saw a sign the other day whitch I had to laugh at.

Trespassers wil be prosecuted.etc

PARENTS
    Please keep your children off this site.

I must get a picture of it the next time. Parents need special signs because they are special.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

learn_more wrote: »
    I really think cafe owners should take some responsibility for all this. It's in their interest to come to a better arrangement after all. A one kid per table policy would be reasonable and wouldn't it make financial sense to have more paying adults seated that to have low spending riff raff sullying their establishment who scare off the more desirable clientèle ! I was never taken to cafes when I was a child. And quite right too. It's just a total lack of consideration that parents have these days which is a sign of our times. Sigh.

We must visit different café's, cause I don't often see this.
    I had the misfortune to pass by the food hall upstairs in Liffey Valley today. It was full of youngsters high on sugar. It was a total nightmare.

Ah... I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Smondie wrote: »

PARENTS

I must get a picture of it the next time. Parents need special signs because they are special.
    Wow, this thread was getting pretty stupid but this post has is a whole new level.

Cienciano wrote: »

PARENTS

Wow, this thread was getting pretty stupid but this post has is a whole new level.
    It just shows some parents think they don't have to follow the same rules as everyone else. Why did they need a special section for parents? Cos little Johnny's not a tresspasser, he's only expressing himself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

Kids are welcome here

mikeymouse wrote: »
    Kids are welcome here
    Time to boycott all beer-drinking gingers!"

I'm not surprised they're not wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

IMO, It's never the kids fault, it's the parents. The 'I'm entitled to a bit of me time' brigade who think that others should suffer the consequences of little Tarquin running riot like a feral cat. If I go to a Playzone, I expect kids to be running around being kids. When I go to an adult environment, I expect reasonable behaviour

As an example, it was not as funny as you thought it was last Sunday in a hotel restaurant when your little shlte took off his shoes and threw a sock at our table while we were eating. Oh how you laughed as yet another treasured family moment was made

IMO, It's never the kids fault, it's the parents. The 'I'm entitled to a bit of me time' brigade who think that others should suffer the consequences of little Tarquin running riot like a feral cat. If I go to a Playzone, I expect kids to be running around being kids. When I go to an adult environment, I expect reasonable behaviour

As an example, it was not as funny as you thought it was last Sunday in a hotel restaurant when your little shlte took off his shoes and threw a sock at our table while we were eating. Oh how you laughed as yet another treasured family moment was made

What's an "Adult environment"?

Can you tell me what hotel it was? Was it a family hotel like a Maldron or Hunters or the Shelbourne? Are a lot of you new to dining out? This restaurant and café snobbery is a very Irish thing. Most restaurants and cafés before a certain hour in Ireland are family restaurants. Just like they are in most countries in Europe. You're gonna get kids. Sometimes kids are noisy.

Unless you're in a fine dining restaurant at 9.30 at night get over it. You're in a restaurant, not the opera.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭zedhead

John_Rambo wrote: »

Can you tell me what hotel it was? Was it a family hotel like a Maldron or Hunters or the Shelbourne? Are a lot of you new to dining out? This restaurant and café snobbery is a very Irish thing. Most restaurants and cafés before a certain hour in Ireland are family restaurants. Just like they are in most countries in Europe. You're gonna get kids. Sometimes kids are noisy.

Unless you're in a fine dining restaurant at 9.30 at night get over it. You're in a restaurant, not the opera.

You really think its ok for a child to throw a sock onto a complete strangers table while they are eating? And that the parents are right to laugh instead of apologise profusely?

I do not agree that kids should be banned from public places. I think a very small minority of parents do not make any effort to teach their children public manners which is unacceptable and results in their children being obnoxiously loud and dangerous running around the place. But for the most part, a childing making some levels of noise or crying is part of being in public. But when they start actually interfering directly with other people then its time for the parent to step in and stop it.

I would have taken off my sock and flung it over to thier table, and demanded they pay for new food for my table. See how funny it was then.

• Advertisement

Family hotel restaurant, around 6pm. Are you saying that 'anything goes' before a certain watershed and it's my problem that the parents wanted their own quality time at my expense?

I would have taken off my sock and flung it over to thier table, and demanded they pay for new food for my table. See how funny it was then.

Sock didn't come near the food thankfully and I never blame the kids for these things

Family hotel restaurant, around 6pm

Yeah, you're going to get kids in those type of places at that hour. Sorry to hear you're dinner was ruined by a small childs sock being thrown at your table.

Choose carefully next time if you're that sensitive.

In the real world, you wouldn't have though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Yeah, you're going to get kids in those type of places at that hour. Sorry to hear you're dinner was ruined by a small childs sock being thrown at your table.

Choose carefully next time if you're that sensitive.

In the real world, you wouldn't have though.

The problem is not the presence of kids. The problem is parents who, for whatever reason, choose not to take charge of their children.

I'm not talking about kids on the autistic spectrum, or kids with brain injuries or whatever else high horse rides in here.

Kids are kids. But they learn to behave through being set an example and taught what's acceptable and what isn't.

If you don't educate your child that throwing socks at strangers is unacceptable then who will do it?

The problem is not the presence of kids. The problem is parents who, for whatever reason, choose not to take charge of their children.

I'm not talking about kids on the autistic spectrum, or kids with brain injuries or whatever else high horse rides in here.

Kids are kids. But they learn to behave through being set an example and taught what's acceptable and what isn't.

If you don't educate your child that throwing socks at strangers is unacceptable then who will do it?

A sock thrown at a table isn't that bad. I certainly wouldn't be annoyed.

But you know, some people are a little bit hyper-sensitive when they dine out.

Anyone imposing their situation on those around them are inconsiderate assholes. It is the same with adult drunks, only difference being the kids are not to blame, the parents facilitating it are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Anyone imposing their situation on those around them are inconsiderate assholes.

Absolutely. We were out with the kids and the inconsiderate assholes sitting near us.. giving the passive aggressive dirty looks, imposing their need for silence in a public place....

You said it.. assholes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

100% agree.

I joined a gym recently, and Im really put off by childrens' bad behaviour in the dressing room. Of course, the mother usually takes little Johnny and/or Mary to the female dressing room.

I or they have nearly knocked each other down a few times. Ive been in the showers and they screaming/screeching their heads off.

On one occasion, a little girl, Ruby, was left screaming in the shower by her mother, while she went off to dry herself off.

Id come out of there frantic. On that particular occasion (why do I need to put up with that?) I complained to management, and they said they were aware of the problem (sounded liked theyd gotton a complaint already about it). And I said I expect the mother to be talked to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

A lot of trainee curtain twitchers in this thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    Absolutely. We were out with the kids and the inconsiderate assholes sitting near us.. giving the passive aggressive dirty looks, imposing their need for silence in a public place....

You said it.. assholes.

LOL, dude I like kids. I'm the person who doesn't mind sitting next to babies on a plane and have held the hand of a little girl who was screaming and crying on a plane because she was scared of landing (she asked me to - just like she had asked me questions and asked me to play games with her during the flight, which I happily did, and her father held her other hand).

And even I think what you've said here is massively reaching. Having a sock thrown on your table while your eating isn't good manners under any circumstance and the parents should have apologized. It can't compare to "passive aggressive dirty looks." That's a non starter.

Advertisement