Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Appealing OMSP when importing from UK

• 01-08-2016 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Wondering if anyone has any experience challenging revenues OMSP valuation. I want to import a petrol 7 seater and the zafira tourer 1.4t looks like good value in the UK. There are loads of 2015 models for 10-11k sterling which is 12-14k euro.

There are none for sale here and that model doesn't exist in the VRT calculator. The closest is a 1.8 petrol with an OMSP of 21.5k. Has anyone ever challenged this using uk prices?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You would use Irish prices to challenge OMSP as the uk price has no bearing.

What is the equivalent diesel valued at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Should buy an older Galaxy, better vehicle .

Those Zafira tourers are cool and relatively rare though. Galaxy is a good bit bigger. Depends what you need I spose.

I'm guessing the OP is going petrol as it suits their needs. Galaxy's are all diesel aren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭zizou_

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You would use Irish prices to challenge OMSP as the uk price has no bearing.

What is the equivalent diesel valued at?

€23.5k OMSP giving me a VRT quote for petrol version of €6300 :eek:

Madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

zizou_ wrote: »
    Wondering if anyone has any experience challenging revenues OMSP valuation. I want to import a petrol 7 seater and the zafira tourer 1.4t looks like good value in the UK. There are loads of 2015 models for 10-11k sterling which is 12-14k euro.

There are none for sale here and that model doesn't exist in the VRT calculator. The closest is a 1.8 petrol with an OMSP of 21.5k. Has anyone ever challenged this using uk prices?

Cheers

What exactly are you going to appeal, sure they haven't given you an OMSP for the car you want to buy?!

You need to readjust your attitude from its current confrontational one, and contact them to request a valuation for the specific vehicle, if possible in advance of purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Madness

That makes perfect sense. If it was sold here, a new would be around €30k - thus a 2015 80% of that.

And that's very conservative calculation...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Revenue don't care what price you paid for it in another country or what used values are over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2012-Ford-Galaxy-1-6-EcoBoost-Zetec-5dr-/371683390954?hash=item568a0e75ea:g:Yu0AAOSwARZXkiT3

Few petrol models about. Will need to drop 2 years to get in his price range.
    Footprint similar.

Madness

And how much are 2015 Zafira tourers going for in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Madness

Madness is right, because that's not how it works!

• Advertisement

Those Zafira tourers are cool and relatively rare though.

Did you just use Opel and Cool in the same sentence?!

For a 7 seater they're alright looking.

Thanks for the replies.

Just to clarify I was interested in how to establish the OMSP for a model not on sale here - I was hoping the low uk prices would have some bearing but it seems not.
    Unfortunately for me the relatively high co2 of the petrol are working against me. I chose the zafira because of the high first year depreciation in the uk when compared to rivals but the VRT kinda cancels this out.

still a year old 7 seater that starts at €30k for a base model for €18-20k isn't bad.

still a year old 7 seater that starts at €30k for a base model for €18-20k isn't bad.

Agreed. Resale value here would be dodgy enough so want to cut down the initial outlay as much as possible. Was also interested in a 5008 petrol but they're hard to find in uk.

Why would resale value be dodgy here?

Maybe look at the Toyota Prius +
    Basically a hybrid 7 seater. Vrt would be very low I'd say.

Why would resale value be dodgy here?

I thought high(ish) tax of 570 combined with Irish love of diesel would leave me a small market. There's not many people buying biggish petrol cars new these days. Perfectly happy to be wrong about this.

You would certainly have a more limited market alright, but on the other hand someone looking for a petrol one won't have much choice.

The U.K. ones will always be your main competition, who knows what way importing will go in a few years, might be more difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭noelf

Just be aware if you go ahead with a Zafira .. www.opel.ie/zafira-customer-advice.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Madness
    bazz26 wrote: »
    Revenue don't care what price you paid for it in another country or what used values are over there.

Revenues OMSPs are generally fairly mad.

You will have to pay the VRT figure quoted up front. You then submit an appeal for a refund with your purchase documentation showing what you actually payed out for the car. They then review and if successful refund you the difference.

Be prepared to be without your cash for quite a while though.

noelf wrote: »
    Just be aware if you go ahead with a Zafira .. www.opel.ie/zafira-customer-advice.html

Zaria tourer is a completely different car.

Revenues OMSPs are generally fairly mad.

You will have to pay the VRT figure quoted up front. You then submit an appeal for a refund with your purchase documentation showing what you actually payed out for the car. They then review and if successful refund you the difference.

Be prepared to be without your cash for quite a while though.

Problem for the OP successfully appealing the VRT is that there are no similar petrol Zafiras models sold here, so could prove near impossible to produce evidence that their OMSP is incorrect.

OP here again. Just to close this off we ended up doing a deal on nearly new Peugeot 5008 1.2t petrol. Think we got a decent price and don't have the hassle of importing. 5 year warranty is a bonus too.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

I posted this recently in another thread; may be of some use:
    I won my appeal against their OMSP valuation for a car I recently imported from the UK. In my case, there was no other identical spec car registered in Ireland. Mine was the first one for that year (2008). Unsurprisingly, the VRT quote I got on the day I went to pay was several hundred euro higher then expected, but I had no choice but to pay.

To dispute the OMSP, I sent my letter stating why I felt it was too high along with several print outs illustrating how much the the same make/model of car sold for in the UK. Inclusive of this, I also included a printed list of all the same make and model from carzone, but none of which were the same model/engine/spec.

They must have accepted my argument was reasonable and considered in their decision the list of UK cars I sent in my appeal. I received a cheque for €350 in the post yesterday (only took 5 weeks!). I had 0 confidence my claim would even be entertained when I sent it in but it was worth the shot. I'm glad I did now, a free years tax + service :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I finally got around to typing up my letter last night, have 4 examples of lower pricing than the Revenue OMSP so took an average of the four as my basis of appeal, will update whenever I hear back, going in the registered post this evening...

• Registered Users Posts: 22 tp89

slave1 wrote: »
    I finally got around to typing up my letter last night, have 4 examples of lower pricing than the Revenue OMSP so took an average of the four as my basis of appeal, will update whenever I hear back, going in the registered post this evening...

Hi could you PM me the letter you sent so I can get an idea of how you phrase an appeal?

I am heading to the VRT centre tomorrow to get my car done. its 2011 passat cc gt with 110000. It comes up on the calculator as having OMSP of 17,226. I paid about 7 grand less than that and the art is coming in at €3100.

I can only find 2 examples of similar cars and they aren't identical. They are found

goo.gl/97WwnD

goo.gl/hJsruL

The second is an automatic and wouldnt have all the extras mine has.

I am planning on sending in an appeal just to try my luck. I will use the two examples above I suppose and maybe some from the UK like was mentioned above and cross my fingers.

So 2011 Passat cc's don't usually go for around €17k?
    I don't think there are that many for what you'll pay even with that level of vrt.

• Advertisement

So 2011 Passat cc's don't usually go for around €17k?
    I don't think there are that many for what you'll pay even with that level of vrt.

on carzone there is only one 2011 passat cc with 100,000+ miles above 17k. The rest are 16500 and below. My point is that these are all the 140 bhp versions so I am finding hard to get a like for like car except for the two I have posted. I am paying the VRT later today but I am still going to try my luck on appeal as its better in my pocket than theirs.

tp89 wrote: »
    on carzone there is only one 2011 passat cc with 100,000+ miles above 17k. The rest are 16500 and below. My point is that these are all the 140 bhp versions so I am finding hard to get a like for like car except for the two I have posted. I am paying the VRT later today but I am still going to try my luck on appeal as its better in my pocket than theirs.

But you're importing a more powerful one - thus more expensive.

At 5 years old there is not much in the difference in used prices between a 140bhp and 170bhp version, probably less than 1k.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

slave1 wrote: »

Looked for €749 of the €4,570 VRT paid, just a simple letter with 4 printouts of SIMILAR Honda CRV cars (different spec, different literage) from Carzone, Adverts, Donedeal and a copy of the invoice I paid for the car.
    I averaged the 4 and this was the basis for my appeal.
    Nothing snotty, just a polite letter.
    Letter posted via registered post and two weeks later (today) got a letter in the post from Revenue saying there's a cheque headed my way for €749.
    Fukkin delighted!

Advertisement