Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling around France

Options
  • 01-08-2016 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi guys! Just in the gestational stage with this one, but the general plan would be this.

Fly to France, rent a car! Spend maybe two weeks in France, driving to new places, cycling a few of the roads and then moving on! Thinking of going next summer! I know it's early haha

Anyone done this before, have any tips as to where to hit, advice of any kind would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭F.Grimes

F.Grimes wrote: »
    Hi guys! Just in the gestational stage with this one, but the general plan would be this.

Fly to France, rent a car! Spend maybe two weeks in France, driving to new places, cycling a few of the roads and then moving on! Thinking of going next summer! I know it's early haha

Anyone done this before, have any tips as to where to hit, advice of any kind would be appreciated.

Accidental posted twice! Mods please feel free to delete one

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

France is big. I'd say pick an area you like and explore.

godtabh wrote: »

What kinda area would you suggest? What size should I be aiming for?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

No idea. I was in Port Bourgenay. Pan flat but decent roads but it was a family holiday so had little choice in the location. The Alps would be cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

What do you want. Climbing? Epic cols from the tour, and plenty of nice ones that the tour never visits.
    Or nice scenery, rolling countryside? Or some MTB?
    Touring type, cycle trails?
    Are you travelling solo, with a few like minded individuals, or with non cycling companions?
    What is your cycling background / level of fitness?'
    Giving some of the above info will help people to make suggestions.
    Also it can be very hot inland in the summer - September is popular for cycling trips. Many of the mountain passes /cols are not open until into June.

• Advertisement

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    What do you want. Climbing? Epic cols from the tour, and plenty of nice ones that the tour never visits.
    Or nice scenery, rolling countryside? Or some MTB?
    Touring type, cycle trails?
    Are you travelling solo, with a few like minded individuals, or with non cycling companions?
    What is your cycling background / level of fitness?'
    Giving some of the above info will help people to make suggestions.
    Also it can be very hot inland in the summer - September is popular for cycling trips. Many of the mountain passes /cols are not open until into June.

I'd be looking for some nice climbs! Nice scenery!

I'd be travelling 100% solo, and would only be interested in road cycling! In terms of fitness, shouldn't an issue! I was thinking of somewhere down the south east!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Pyrenees. End to End. A great week or so.

Failing that, go to velopyrenees.com or somewhere similar, and just eat, sleep, cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

I'd be looking for some nice climbs! Nice scenery!

I'd be travelling 100% solo, and would only be interested in road cycling! In terms of fitness, shouldn't an issue! I was thinking of somewhere down the south east!?

Have only been once on a cycling trip and managed a few odd days cycling when on family hols, so not vastly experienced.
    We stayed in Bourg st Maurice and did a few climbs over three days including col de la Madeleine. My favourite was comet de roselend. Galibier, aloe d'huez etc would have meant a drive, and Bourg was a long spin from Lyon airport.
    Bourg d'Oisans is a favoured stay for many cyclists. Annency area gets plenty of mentions.
    Not too far from the Alps to drive over and do Mont Ventoux which I really enjoyed (or suffered I should say) on a one day trip out of a family holiday.
    I also read plenty of others reccomending the Pyrrennes over the Alps. Must get there sometime.

I found this site a good source of food for thought

http://www.cycling-challenge.com/100-cycling-climbs-better-than-alpe-dhuez/

I'm envious. would love to do something like you are planning. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

brownian wrote: »
    Pyrenees. End to End. A great week or so.

Failing that, go to velopyrenees.com or somewhere similar, and just eat, sleep, cycle.

Having done the raid, and plan to do it again, I second this. Alone though has some logistics to deal with.

When I went back myself, I flew to and from Toulouse with the bike in a box and took the train to one of the villages (Tarançon) on the raid route. Unpacked and built the bike and cycled loops in the area.

I'm sure there was bike rental in the area and also Ax les Thermes.

Can highly recommend http://velovercors.com/ having stayed there last year, loads of good cycling options including options for long alpine climbs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

ronoc wrote: »
    Can highly recommend http://velovercors.com/ having stayed there last year, loads of good cycling options including options for long alpine climbs.

Vercors area is magic. If going solo I'd be inclined to work in your stay in a region with a sportive, just for variety.

http://www.sportcommunication.info/gt/

So do Challenge Vercors and spend a few days there either side of event and then head down and do the Ventoux challenge maybe. Vercors isn't the highest area of Alps, maybe 1400m max from memory, but still plenty climbing about.

I'd be inclined to price cost of ferry as between cost of flight/bike hire/car hire in off season (before June) you might be as well off.

Bike hire in areas you like to be isn't cheap in France compared to other destinations such as south of Spain/Portugal etc. Explanation here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97293049&postcount=30

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057502803

You could just do a 2 week tour with your bike...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Take the ferry into Cherbourg and out of Roscoff or vv. Gives you an option of some great spins in areas steeped in cycling tradition.

After that you're spoiled for choice really. I spent time in Vendée this year, v quiet roads. Inland towards les Deux Sèvres was superb rolling country. Hit the Loire Valley with the ubiquitous but glorious chateaux.

Burgundy is also excellent. Great food and wine, lovely country. Down to Auvergne, very quiet roads snaking up and down through cut stone villages and extinct volcanoes.

In the Alps you'll be either climbing or descending. 2 weeks of it might be a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Getting increasingly jealous 8-).

If it's long climbs you want, then Alps or Pyrenees are the obvious choice. Alpine climbs are longer, and you can tick off big names like Huez, Galibier, Madeleine... Pyrenees climbs are shorter, but still plenty big from an Irish perspective; the weather is better and there is less traffic. And you still tick off some pretty good names. Col d'Husquy (sp?) near the E end of the chain was an unexpected delight - vultures, meadows, tiny twisty road...one of my favourite climbs ever. Marie Blanque a surprise.

Anyway, wherever you go, it'll be serious cycling. Don't neglect the dead-end roads; some of them go to brilliant places.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

Take the ferry into Cherbourg and out of Roscoff or vv. Gives you an option of some great spins in areas steeped in cycling tradition.

After that you're spoiled for choice really. I spent time in Vendée this year, v quiet roads. Inland towards les Deux Sèvres was superb rolling country. Hit the Loire Valley with the ubiquitous but glorious chateaux.

Burgundy is also excellent. Great food and wine, lovely country. Down to Auvergne, very quiet roads snaking up and down through cut stone villages and extinct volcanoes.

In the Alps you'll be either climbing or descending. 2 weeks of it might be a lot.
    Just in case anyone heading over at the moment - Not sure what state the Loire route is in tbh. I went to France in June with the plan to ride the Veloroute6 (Loire Valley) and after 1 day out from Nantes had to turn back as the whole route was under water. The first camp I stayed in I met a canoeist who told me the next dozen campsites were under water too. Might be better to stick to Brittany (although I had to abandon the holiday due to the weather, it normally isn't that bad) or the coast/South until the damage is definitely rectified along the Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Was there late June, Loire was high but had receded. I was diddling around the vineyards, up and down. Not sure about VR6.

Was there late June, Loire was high but had receded. I was diddling around the vineyards, up and down. Not sure about VR6.
    Ah right, I'd worry that the campsites aren't open as theyre mostly riverside and were under lots of water. A farmer told me as I pulled in for a breather that "this hill is only for going down" - it was a 23% gradient and I had a fully loaded touring bike with panniers...I nearly died with the effort. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

godtabh wrote: »

It is big but if I can cross it on a bike, anyone can.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

this is something for my bucket list, a week or 2 pootling around France, doing some climbs & descents(had better grow a set of balls for that) I am so jealous that you are actually going to do this.
    best of luck with it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

OP, I'm doing it. Starting out tonight and catching a ferry from Rosslare to Cherbourg tomorrow. Will be taking it handy enough, seeing some of the sights in Normandy, before heading south to visit family near Tours for a few days before heading for home.

Not the most ambitious trip but will let you know how I get on.

... I'm not renting a car though. Bike with tent and the rest on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

OP, I'm doing it. Starting out tonight and catching a ferry from Rosslare to Cherbourg tomorrow. Will be taking it handy enough, seeing some of the sights in Normandy, before heading south to visit family near Tours for a few days before heading for home.

Bonne Route

Every cemetery in France has a drinking water tap, if you're stuck for water at any time.

• Advertisement

Good to know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Also, if you need drinking water, they'll always hand it out in the local presbytery; however, don't wake up the priest during the long midday siesta down t'country like; he won't be a happy chappy.

Have you thought of the Jura too? Never been there, but have heard it raved about.

Sounds great, do let me know how it goes!

Bonne Route

Every cemetery in France has a drinking water tap, if you're stuck for water at any time.

Also handy to know - free wifi at Tourist Offices and McDonalds.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 davmurpla

I have cycled around France, along the west coast which is mainly flat and from Cherbour down to Andorra across Le Macif Central which is Hilly and you spend about 1 week over 1000m attitude, before face Le pyrinee, plenty of "Cols". Plus, you can visit Le Puis en velais where the original "camino de Santiago started".

South East is awesome as well and hilly.

If I had to ride again I would avoid West coast as a cyclist, we love challenges and no hill means....no challenge. Also le Pyrinees end to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

davmurpla wrote: »
    If I had to ride again I would avoid West coast as a cyclist, we love challenges and no hill means....no challenge. Also le Pyrinees end to end.

You would avoid or recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 davmurpla

You would avoid or recommend?

I would avoid it, as i already know the west coast.
    it is 99% flat, really nice but if you are going from the south up to the north, you are going to deal with a strong headwind.
    Awesome spots but not if you are looking for some climbing.

poochiem wrote: »
    Also handy to know - free wifi at Tourist Offices and McDonalds.

That's a great tip cheers

Sounds great, do let me know how it goes!
    It went really well, I had a great time, although I'd do a few things differently next time. I'd travel heavier and skip the functional cycle journeys of the trip, e.g. I'd get a train to the ferry port or airport rather than cycle, as I didn't enjoy having to cycle to a deadline. The worry that I'd have a break-down or some other problem kind of sucked the joy out of it. Doesn't apply to your travel plans though I suppose.

The French roads in general were really good and while the parts of Normandy and Pays de la Loire I cycled around were much hillier than Leinster, it wasn't /too/ challenging to zip around. Towards the end of the holiday it'd be 26 degrees at 9am and 33 degrees from around 2pm until nearly 8pm though, and that made it pretty tough going.

The French signage is pretty terrible though. A satnav would have been useful as I was constantly having to stop to check my phone. You get off the beaten track at all in France and the signs just disappear. I found the Cotentin peninsula's roads to be particularly labyrinthine, and naturally my phone died while I was there. The French road numbering system is bizarre; you'll regularly find numerous different roads given the same number which can make navigation tricky.

It might not concern you but I found the camp sites to be very good. I'd arrive between 7-8 every evening and always get a spot. Some Normandy camp sites jacked up the prices to €15 a night while further south I paid as little as €3. Way better facilities than Irish camp sites. If you're knackered after a long cycle and the camp site does food, resist the urge to eat there though. Just don't do it. Walk into town.

The French opening hours are /different/ and if you're doing long trips you'll need to plan accordingly. Running out of water on the 1st hot day and passing through a half dozen towns without seeing anything open taught me to do so pretty quickly.

Oh and unless you've got a mountain bike, the voies vertes (cycle trails) are useless. Actually a lot of the smaller roads you'll see on googlemaps will be little more than dirt trails used occasionally by tractors.

The big positive about the trip was that I ate and drank like an absolute champ and came back skinnier than I was setting out. I had more desserts in 2 weeks than I've had in the last 5 years combined. Aahh, creperies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭coddlesangers

Chuchote wrote: »
    Have you thought of the Jura too? Never been there, but have heard it raved about.

I'd second that, Jura cycling is fabulous. Stunning scenery, and lots of handily placed pit stops. Climbing legs are needed though, they are NOT HILLS despite the big brother Alps across the lake making them look smaller than they are !

Advertisement