Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Took in a cat, landlord's wife causing trouble

Options
  • 01-08-2016 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4 Mcnaggins

I've been living in my flat for about a year and a half now, and we took in a very ill kitten recently, my landlord has seen this kitten and even commented on how cute she was, however three days ago his wife cornered my boyfriend and asked if we had a cat, he obviously answered yes, and very matter of factly said "yeah well no, you can't have it get rid of it". The whole atmosphere has changed here now, it's awkward and uncomfortable, they expect us to just let her wander off into the streets and my cat is like my baby so there is no way that is happening. All the wife does now though is sit outside our bathroom window (our flat is at the back of their property) and listen to us and make smug noises at the heartbreak trying to find a temporary home for cat is causing.. What should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

There may be rules forbidding pets. The landlady may simply be informing you that they are enforcing that, and you must get rid of the pet.

The fact that her husband thinks it's cute is not the point.

Check what your lease says about pets, and also check if there are "House Rules" that forbid pets.

You may have no right to keep the pet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭ongarite

What does your lease say?
    Is there a no pets clause?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mcnaggins

Paulw wrote: »
    There may be rules forbidding pets. The landlady may simply be informing you that they are enforcing that, and you must get rid of the pet.

The fact that her husband thinks it's cute is not the point.

Check what your lease says about pets, and also check if there are "House Rules" that forbid pets.

You may have no right to keep the pet.

When we moved in there was no rules against pets, when we confirmed after the one year mark that we were staying there was still no rules against it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭HanaleiJ5N

Mcnaggins wrote: »
    When we moved in there was no rules against pets, when we confirmed after the one year mark that we were staying there was still no rules against it.

Do you have that on writing on a lease though? Makes your case much stronger if you do.

Otherwise, I think the odds are against you here...

HanaleiJ5N wrote: »
    Do you have that on writing on a lease though? Makes your case much stronger if you do.

We didn't do a lease, it was a verbal thing since the beginning and its always been pleasant up until now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Nearly all landlords use the exact same leases and all those leases strictly forbid pets. I imagine the management company forbids pets too. I have yet to hear of a management company allowing pets in a complex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Youve got a bit of a casual relationship with your landlord(s). I see mine twice a year. Two encounters a year too often in my opinion, but anyway.

OP, why do you see so much of your landlord that the husband saw the kitten and then that the wife cornered your boyfriend?

syklops wrote: »
    Youve got a bit of a casual relationship with your landlord(s). I see mine twice a year. Two encounters a year too often in my opinion, but anyway.

OP, why do you see so much of your landlord that the husband saw the kitten and then that the wife cornered your boyfriend?

I see the landlord often as both my boyfriend and I do because they have to pass our front door to get to the bins, that and my boyfriend runs into him almost every morning on his way to work

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

You've been living in your place for a year and a half, so presumably you like it. You took in a cat three days ago & all of a sudden it's your "baby" ? WTF???

You've two options as far as I see it.

1. Get rid of the cat & stay where you are
    2. Find a new place where you, the boyfriend & the cat can be.

Seriously, get rid of the cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Bit of cop on OP. It's not your house, you've to live by the rules of the landlord.

You've no legal recourse here, if that's what you're looking for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭eager tortoise

OP as a fellow cat lover I feel your pain. We moved in to our current place with our cat but asked the landlord's permission when we came to the viewing. Since you have found the cat after the fact perhaps you just need to be a bit humble with the landlord and try and negotiate keeping the cat. You could perhaps offer an extra security deposit to allay their fears that the cat could cause damage (I know this is unlikely, but it might reassure them). If you go this route then be sure to get something in writing. Alternatively perhaps you could offer to keep the cat outdoors, as soon as it grows a bit? Most cats will happily live outdoors if they have some safe space to roam and a nice shelter. Ours is seldom inside even though she has the option and much prefers to sleep in a little outdoor shelter we constructed for her. Best of luck with it, I really think talking about it with them rationally is the way to go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Cats are very clean and will spend most of their time outdoors. They'll also keep mice away. Maybe try talking to your landlord and explaining this. We've had a cat in all the houses we've rented and never had a problem. But then we weren't living under the landlord's nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, you f*ced up by not asking for the LL's permission before moving the cat in - or at very least the next day if it was taken in an emergency situation.

There's a slight chance that they might change their minds if you now go to them and offer to pay a higher deposit to cover any potential damage that the cat does.

Other than that, happy house hunting. In future remember that new babies (of all species) can only be moved into rental properties with the LL's permission.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Sounds like the OP is in a garden shed to the rear of a normal house.
    So if assume no formal lease, RTB Registration etc

You may be living as a "room renter" per say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

If you had a mouse problem, a cat would be very useful. Think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

kceire wrote: »
    Sounds like the OP is in a garden shed to the rear of a normal house.
    So if assume no formal lease, RTB Registration etc

You may be living as a "room renter" per say.

Very unusual you don't have a lease and you are in such close proximity to ll. What is the legal situation with your rental? Is it a separate house, flat, or room? Shed in garden.

Pets are generally a no for most ll's. I would emotionally detach yourself from this animal. If you have zero contract you could be given 7 days or less to vacate if the ll gets annoyed for no reason. Why risk that?

I'd then buy the ll a bottle wine and say thanks for being understanding it won't happen again. Put yourself first.

Landlord's wife isn't causing trouble. The tenants that took in a pet are.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Sapphire

It's your home, but its not your house. If you have no lease then they can dictate whatever they like. They own it, and presumably the furniture too.

And like it or not, animals add significantly to wear and tear - that kitten will sharpen its claws on the carpet, sofa and other soft furnishings that don't belong to you no matter what fancy scratch posts you buy. It's just what kittens do. Then there are toilet training accidents, pet hair and marking territory.

Your reaction is disproportionate for someone who has had a cat for only three days. I love cats but you should have checked with the landlord first, and now you've got a choice - move out with cat or rehome it. No amount of discussing it in the bathroom so your landlady can hear your distress will change that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

The OP did not say she only had the cat 3 days, she said she took it in recently and 3 days ago the landlords wife spoke to them about it.

OP can you see about either rehoming the cat or asking the landlord to allow you to keep the cat.

As to sitting outside your bathroom window making smug noises and listening to you - thats just weird.

What is the legality of the living situation, are you licensees or tenants?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

Landlord is right here. You can't just take in cats without prior permission. Have you brought the cat to the vet to check for a chip?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Landlord is in the right.

It is their property, and it is up to them to set the rules for you to rent it.

You really should have asked first before bringing in a kitten off the street which could be infested with fleas, etc.

Try talk to the Ll, and if that fails, put the cat up for rehoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

People seem to really hate cats on this thread. OP, this is a rotten situation for you. You have become attached to the kitten but <snip> you would try to make a deal with the landlord i.e offer an additional deposit, assure the landlord that the situation is hygenic etc.

You could also contact threshold for advice. I am sure that your living situation is non compliant in many ways...e.g. are you registered on the PRTB, is the LL paying tax on your rent, is that "apartment" you live in up to scratch (meow) as regards fire regulations. It sounds like a strange set up. Two can play hard ball.

I would ask threshold that since X amount of time has passed, during which the landlord was aware that you had a cat, does that amount to his consent? Since you have no lease who can say what you both verbally agreed to when he saw the cat....maybe he said "I love cats, of course you can keep one. Consider it written into the non existent lease."

Another resolution would be for you to contact a local rescue and ask them for help with rehoming the kitten.

Personally I wouldn't just buckle at the first request to remove the cat. Animals are family too. Best of luck.

Mod: please refrain from us vs them type posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

percy212 wrote: »
    People seem to really hate cats on this thread. OP, this is a rotten situation for you. You have become attached to the kitten but <snip> you would try to make a deal with the landlord i.e offer an additional deposit, assure the landlord that the situation is hygenic etc.

You could also contact threshold for advice. I am sure that your living situation is non compliant in many ways...e.g. are you registered on the PRTB, is the LL paying tax on your rent, is that "apartment" you live in up to scratch (meow) as regards fire regulations. It sounds like a strange set up. Two can play hard ball.

I would ask threshold that since X amount of time has passed, during which the landlord was aware that you had a cat, does that amount to his consent? Since you have no lease who can say what you both verbally agreed to when he saw the cat....maybe he said "I love cats, of course you can keep one. Consider it written into the non existent lease."

Another resolution would be for you to contact a local rescue and ask them for help with rehoming the kitten.

Personally I wouldn't just buckle at the first request to remove the cat. Animals are family too.

Poor advice. The op should clarify his legal position first. With no lease he may be a licensee. That means he could be turfed out at little or no notice. A wayward kitten seems like a bad way to make yourself homeless.

This is not an animal rights issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

percy212 wrote: »

Personally I wouldn't just buckle at the first request to remove the cat. Animals are family too. Best of luck.

Mod: please refrain from us vs them type posting.

And what is she going to do with all this information about the house maybe not being compliant? Hold the landlord to ransom?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

my landlord has seen this kitten and even commented on how cute she was, however three days ago his wife cornered my boyfriend and asked if we had a cat, he obviously answered yes, and very matter of factly said "yeah well no, you can't have it get rid of it".
    Highlighted the part, as it seems most posters so far have missed the part where the landlord is totally okay with the cat, but his wife isn't.

Also, for anyone that thinks there are any issues with pets, see the below;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

the_syco wrote: »
    Highlighted the part, as it seems most posters so far have missed the part where the landlord is totally okay with the cat, but his wife isn't.

The landlord might be ok with the cat but not ok with it being in his property.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

the_syco wrote: »

You can think cats are the cutest creatures on the planet and still not want to deal with the consequences of their habitation in a rental property you own once the cat's owners have moved out. I recently viewed a property where the carpets smelled and had been shredded to bits in the corners by the previous occupant's cat's claws and marking. The carpet in two of the three carpeted rooms needed replacement immediately as a result— a cost which will be passed on to the landlord once the tenants move on unless there is a higher deposit on hand for it. The furniture may have suffered the same fate (there was none in the one I was viewing), which is another cost.

There are legitimate, valid reasons people don't want pets in their rented properties, and it has nothing to do with hating animals or not finding them cute. It has to do with damaged property and lack of personal supervision of the animal and how well it might be handled and trained, and how well and promptly its behaviour and messes will be dealt with.

If the landlord's wife has a problem, the landlord has a problem, as the property is almost certainly jointly owned. Furthermore, she might be the one who does the cleaning between lets and is understandably bothered by the prospect of increased work owing to cat hair, scratches, marking, etc.

I'm personally unsure of the legal standpoint here as there is no written lease in place so it's a he said/she said situation, but I would not want to live beside my landlord if I were on bad terms with them because of a lease agreement argument. OP, you seem understandably determined to hold onto your pet, so honestly it might be better to tell your landlord that you'll start looking for somewhere else to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Can someone please point out in the law where it states the default position on pets is that they are not allowed?

I would have thought if the landlord was too lazy and/or cheap to put a lease in place then it's though luck for them if they want to enforce any rules that aren't explicitly stated in law. Obviously if the cat is visibly damaging the property then that is a different story and is covered by the law, but the OP hasn't stated this so no reason to assume it. If it's just a regular cat and there is no lease in place then I would have thought the landlord cannot enforce a no pets rule.

I'm assuming there is a law I've not heard of tho, given the overwhelming number of people telling the OP they need to get rid of the cat, so if someone could quote it then that would be very helpful in clarifying the situation for the OP. Either that or this board really is just an echo chamber for disgruntled landlords to shout about how they would like things to be instead of actual facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Can someone please point out in the law where it states the default position on pets is that they are not allowed?

I would have thought if the landlord was too lazy and/or cheap to put a lease in place then it's though luck for them if they want to enforce any rules that aren't explicitly stated in law. Obviously if the cat is visibly damaging the property then that is a different story and is covered by the law, but the OP hasn't stated this so no reason to assume it. If it's just a regular cat and there is no lease in place then I would have thought the landlord cannot enforce a no pets rule.

I'm assuming there is a law I've not heard of tho, given the overwhelming number of people telling the OP they need to get rid of the cat, so if someone could quote it then that would be very helpful in clarifying the situation for the OP. Either that or this board really is just an echo chamber for disgruntled landlords to shout about how they would like things to be instead of actual facts.

There is no law that says pets are allowed in rented properties either. They had no pets when they moved in and the OP does not have it in writing that pets are allowed. It's the landlord's property so he has the final call in the absence of a written agreement stating otherwise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

OP; has the landlord said anything regarding the cat, since his wife started getting annoyed by it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement