Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non theme Winter Sets

Options
  • 01-08-2016 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

So like many Lego fans I am hoping to build up a nice winter scene for an annual event. I unfortunately can't afford all the official retired sets yet so working on what additional sets I can use.

So far I have the Lego winter toy shop 10249, Santas work shop 10245, creator 3 in 1 changing seasons 31038 , 3 in 1 log cabin 31048 and hoping to add a train if this years rumours are correct. The 2016 city advent calander also looks like it may have a few nice add ons.

Any other suggestions??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,788 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Build the retired sets from parts? Often far cheaper when figs are excluded.

My (displayed, when story on MOCs) modular street has two parted fakes, nobody notices

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

It was something I a was considering alright but as I have barely any free time as it is I am not sure I will have the time to figure out every brick needed and source them. I know ppl get them from bricklink but I have not fully grasped it yet. Thanks though I may yet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

If you have a Bricklink account and find a set you wish to buy the parts for, visit the sets page and underneath 'Add to my Wanted List' is the option to 'Part Out'. Clicking that and following the instructions carefully* will allow you to create a wanted list containing all the parts used to make up that set.

Far easier than doing it part by part. I've used it before and then used the newly created wanted list as a check-list against the parts I already own, removing parts as I find them until I'm left with a Wanted List containing only the parts I'm missing.

Did it last year for 6389 (Fire Control Centre) and 6986 (Mission Commander), two sets from my childhood.

*if you rush it, you might do as I did, f*ck up and create multiple wanted lists. That was a long morning trying to work out where I had gone wrong :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

L1011 wrote: »
    Build the retired sets from parts? Often far cheaper when figs are excluded.

I suggested that once on another thread and was told that it always worked out more expensive. I'm not disagreeing with you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

The original winter sets are mad prices though on eBay so think it might be worth a shot costing it out anyway.

Thanks for the tips!!

Will get leaked winter train for this year if I can

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

syklops wrote: »
    I suggested that once on another thread and was told that it always worked out more expensive. I'm not disagreeing with you though.

It usually is more expensive but can be worth checking.

The cheapest way to part-up to a set is to either buy bits of sets at a very cheap price or buy parts in bulk at a low price and then filling in the gaps on the former or cobbling the set together from the latter.

I did it with the Endor set I sold recently on Adverts. I bought the bulk of the set in two purchases for 30 and 10 euro each, filled in the gaps from my own parts and bought parts for another 10-15 euro over a few months and completed the set. Parting out the set from scratch would probably have worked out at the same price of the original set or even a little bit more expensive.

The problem with using this logic for exclusive sets like the Christmas ones is that people tend to hold on to them as they are always so nicely designed and, if they do sell them, they sell them whole for a bundle of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,788 ✭✭✭✭L1011

syklops wrote: »

It doesn't.

As I said, I've done the first and third modulars (I simply dislike the second) that way and both were significantly cheaper than buying even used, let alone new-second-hand. That was some time ago before Lego demolished the Bricklink value of a number of rare components by re-releasing them too, and the 'genuine' value has risen since.

You can easily make minor modifications if parts are unfeasibly dear also.

Advertisement