Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair colouring...what do ye do?

Options
  • 01-08-2016 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

Almost 13 weeks, and the greys are gone beyond a joke :o
    Where do ye stand on colouring hair while pregnant? I've read up a lot online, and am getting very mixed answers on how safe it is.
    Highlights seem to be ok, but I need a full colour at this stage. Do you stick to semi-permanent/ammonia free colours, or fire ahead with the whole shebang?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I got my hair coloured as normal during pregnancy. There's no risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

I've had mine done twice, but I asked the hairdresser for the packaging to see if there are any warnings etc. but as it's only on your head a very short time and washed off I don't think it will do any harm, it's things like deodorant and perfume which stay on your skin which I worry about more, although perfume you're not supposed to put on your skin at all even if not pregnant as its carcinogenic!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Nowhere have I read advice against colouring your hair, only saw warnings on perms and highlights.
    I do mine once a month, so did everyone else I know, plus usual mani/pedi.
    Perfumes, deodorant and creams too. Pregnancy isn't flattering, so I wouldn't fancy adding body odours to it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

I had my hair coloured numerous times on both pregnancies, highlights on 1st pregnancy and all over colour plus highlights on the 2nd. No way could I go around with greys and brown roots showing. As poster above says pregnancy is bad enough without adding that into the mix! I will say though that my scalp was far more sensitive to the all over colour while pregnant. My scalp really stung while the product was on. The hairdresser said that does happen due to change in hormones but it's not damaging..just bit uncomfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

Deadly, thats me resssured thanks ladies :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I asked my GP and consultant on my first six years ago. They both said no issue, colour and highlight away :)

Check with your own GP to put your mind at rest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Sapphire

The only issue might be is that things like highlights might not fully take. That's what I was warned when I got mine done but they did turn out fine after all.

I had more highlights done post-natally which was a bloody waste of a voucher. Idiot that I was, not realising. :rolleyes:

Advertisement