Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gaa Fitness & Weights training

• 01-08-2016 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,
    I am a football midfielder/hurling full back. I'm about 6' 2" and weigh 14 Stone. About 2-3 stone of that 14 is fat. I am not strong, big, fit or fast enough.

I am looking to build for next years championship (I have given up on this year because I'm just too heavy. I will just focus on fitness until this season is over ) i will be in my last year U21 and am hoping to break into the club senior panel.

Has anyone got any programs/programming tips that could help me? I am planning on 3 home gym sessions per week and am unsure If I should do any cardio (running fitness/HIIT) or just focus on weights for the winter.

I will be training out of my garage gym (barbell,dumbells , bench, trx, stepper, squat rack, pull up bar, homemade prowler, med ball etc.)

Any advice anyone can give me would be infinitely appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Google 'Westside For Skinny Bastards 3'... don't let the goofy name put ya off, it's perfect pre-season conditioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭size5

You say you are "heavy" but you haven't mentioned nutrition once-so have a look at that. Have you had any injuries this year-if so also have a look at fixing them. Would also advise do some mobility work as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

size5 wrote: »
    You say you are "heavy" but you haven't mentioned nutrition once-so have a look at that. Have you had any injuries this year-if so also have a look at fixing them. Would also advise do some mobility work as well.
    ^^^^^ this big time, your post screams of trying to out exercise a ****ty diet or if its not ****ty then you're not aware of the amount of calories you're taking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Conord45

Transform wrote: »
    ^^^^^ this big time, your post screams of trying to out exercise a ****ty diet or if its not ****ty then you're not aware of the amount of calories you're taking in.

My diet has always been the same. Vegetables and lean meats with carbs coming up to matches. The diet part I have had sorted for a while. (I have lost 15KG in the last 14 months from dieting alone but I'm looking advance that now)

I use the myfitness pal app to keep track of that (you probably don't but myusername is also conord45 if you are on it u can look at my food diary if u are on it also)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You probably need to work on your diet a bit harder because if you need to shed as much as you say, a kilo a month isn't going to make enough of a dent ahead of the next season. Doesn't need to be drastic changes but probably no harm in tweaking it.

If you're using MFP to calculate calories burned from exercise and you're using that allowance, then that might be something to look at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Conord45 wrote: »
    I use the myfitness pal app to keep track of that (you probably don't but myusername is also conord45 if you are on it u can look at my food diary if u are on it also)
    cool, what do you deadlift?

cool, what do you deadlift?

Just over 100 for 7 (I train at home and I only have 100KG of weights)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Are you including the weight of the bar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If you are going to continue to train at home you should probably invest in more weight. Should probably be aiming for maybe 180kg+ deadlift.

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Are you including the weight of the bar?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Darrenon91

Not sure where the random deadlift discussion is going to be honest and why 180kg was mentioned for a GAA player?

Anyways OP id recommend looking up Hanleys thread and build your own programme around that. Have squats, deadlifts and bench as your three main lifts and build around that.

Thread is here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057311400

Pick exercises that you can do in your home gym and that you can do with good form.

I would defo add cardio in as there is no harm in it and you dont want to be going into preseason without having done some cardio work in months. Mix it up. E.g do a long jog one session to get fitter and one session of doing sprints to get faster.

As mentioned by othesr, diet is massively important so do as much research on it as possible if you feel like you don't know enough.

Best of luck.

Darrenon91 wrote: »
    Not sure where the random deadlift discussion is going to be honest and why 180kg was mentioned for a GAA player?
    Do you think he shouldn't deadlift?
    What you suggest is a decent target?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Anyways OP id recommend looking up Hanleys thread and build your own programme around that. Have squats, deadlifts and bench as your three main lifts and build around that.

Thread is here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057311400

Pick exercises that you can do in your home gym and that you can do with good form.

I would defo add cardio in as there is no harm in it and you dont want to be going into preseason without having done some cardio work in months. Mix it up. E.g do a long jog one session to get fitter and one session of doing sprints to get faster.

As mentioned by othesr, diet is massively important so do as much research on it as possible if you feel like you don't know enough.

Best of luck.

Is 180kg a 2 x body weight deadlift for the OP? Near enough I think. I think a reasonable target for people who train regularly is a 2xbw deadlift and squat. It won't happen today or tomorrow, but it's a target.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    Is 180kg a 2 x body weight deadlift for the OP? Near enough I think. I think a reasonable target for people who train regularly is a 2xbw deadlift and squat. It won't happen today or tomorrow, but it's a target.
    Bingo.
    2xBW was exactly where I pulled it from. Pretty attainable deadlift imo. A target is not a prerequisite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭eire1

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Google 'Westside For Skinny Bastards 3'... don't let the goofy name put ya off, it's perfect pre-season conditioning.

Thanks for this :)

Mellor wrote: »
    Bingo.
    2xBW was exactly where I pulled it from. Pretty attainable deadlift imo. A target is not a prerequisite.

Of course I think he should deadlift as I mentioned in my post, I just thought it asking how much he deadlifted was random as many other lifts and exercises will contribute to his strength levels.

The reason I questioned the 180kg is that from what I know top GAA players would rarely test their one rep max for deadlifts, squats etc, but would look to build reps at lower weights for power and explosiveness. I do agree that the OP will need more weights in their home gym to gain more strength, I do not agree that he needs to focus on attaining a double BW deadlift. Just my opinion.

The reason I questioned the 180kg is that from what I know top GAA players would rarely test their one rep max for deadlifts, squats etc, but would look to build reps at lower weights for power and explosiveness
    Strength athletes rarely test their 1RM. They build strength in the low 3-5 rep range. If anything, there's probably more unstructured, random lifting in GAA weights room than a typical strength program.
    Nobody said any anything about pulling singles.
    I do agree that the OP will need more weights in their home gym to gain more strength, I do not agree that he needs to focus on attaining a double BW deadlift. Just my opinion.
    Who say anything about focusing on deadlift?
    It's was target in one if the 6 main lifts, not the only lift.
    It's almost universally the biggest lift, so it answers the "how much weight for a home gym".

Mellor wrote: »
    Strength athletes rarely test their 1RM. They build strength in the low 3-5 rep range. If anything, there's probably more unstructured, random lifting in GAA weights room than a typical strength program.
    Nobody said any anything about pulling singles.

Who say anything about focusing on deadlift?
    It's was target in one if the 6 main lifts, not the only lift.
    It's almost universally the biggest lift, so it answers the "how much weight for a home gym".

The OP asked for a programme to help develop his strength and was asked what does he deadlift almost immediately. Does that not suggest that deadlifts were the focus? I just thought it was a random question in relation to the original post.

Advertisement