Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone ever had a trad session at their wedding?

• 01-08-2016 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

We're thinking of trying to get a session going in the Resident's Bar at about 1:30am, is it possible to hire a couple of musicians at this time to play for 1/1.5 hours?

Anyone ever heard it done?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

I've been to a few weddings where this happened. So memorable. But it was friends. Do you know people or have friends who play trad that could either play or bring people who would play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Yep. I've played at plenty. We don't come cheap at that hour though, and unless there are people in the wedding party who play and will join in, the 'session' will fall on its arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OnlyWayIsUp

endacl wrote: »
    Yep. I've played at plenty. We don't come cheap at that hour though, and unless there are people in the wedding party who play and will join in, the 'session' will fall on its arse.

You got a website or name of your band mo chara?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

You'd want to check that your venue is ok with you bringing in musicians at that time. Depending on the layout, it may impact on other people staying in the hotel who arent at the wedding.

But hey, doesnt hurt to ask.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,929 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

You'd want to check that your venue is ok with you bringing in musicians at that time. Depending on the layout, it may impact on other people staying in the hotel who arent at the wedding.

But hey, doesnt hurt to ask.

Definitely check first! Imagine booking someone and then being told to stop as soon as it started! A few of the uncles on my husband's side play trad instruments so sessions wouldn't be unusual at weddings but at the most recent one it actually said in the wedding contract that instruments aren't permitted in the residents bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OnlyWayIsUp

Cheers for the replies.

Reception is in Rathsallagh House, everyone staying there will be a guest of the wedding so it's all ok.

Haven't checked with Rathsallagh but I will.

In the meantime if anyone knows a band, or a couple of people, that might be interested in doing this please let me know.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

We're thinking of trying to get a session going in the Resident's Bar at about 1:30am, is it possible to hire a couple of musicians at this time to play for 1/1.5 hours?

Anyone ever heard it done?
    Cheers for the replies.

Reception is in Rathsallagh House, everyone staying there will be a guest of the wedding so it's all ok.

Haven't checked with Rathsallagh but I will.

In the meantime if anyone knows a band, or a couple of people, that might be interested in doing this please let me know.

Thanks.

Rathsallagh has a finish time of at least 2am for amplified music (and sometimes even later ;)) Another option is to ask in the local pubs in Dunlavin and Hollywood for some locals (or recommendations) that might do it.

Advertisement